PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - Anquan Boldin Trade Nepotism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
......and it worked out SO well for both teams, as neither made the playoff the season after the trade. I"m sure Boldin (who was the true MVP of the Ravens playoff run)., who made key catch after key catch against good coverage to bail out his QB and HC time after time; is really looking forward to playing out the end of his career in a bad rebuilding project with the Niners.

This makes me think... it would've been nice to trade for Boldin instead of signing Wayne. Boldin's cap hit is only 2.1 mill this & next season.

The problem is that there's no hypocrisy with what the Ravens/49ers did. Again, you're arguing a non-issue.
I'm not arguing. I'm giving my $0.02. Like I said everyone is obviously welcome to disagree.

There's nothing wrong with having preferences when it comes to making trades. Teams often refuse to trade within their own division, for example.

A willing partner is a willing partner. Isn't that right Mr. Roethlisburger?

I'm not arguing. I'm giving my $0.02. Like I said everyone is obviously welcome to disagree.

You posed a silly question. People are responding. If all you've got is "welcome to disagree", you should just have made a statement in your O.P. and then clicked on the ignore thread feature, even though the thread was made by you.

I'm sure your heart was in the right place, but that trade was nothing approaching an integrity issue.

Last edited:
Harbaugh gifts his brother a player and *****es about legal formations
You posed a silly question. People are responding. If all you've got is "welcome to disagree", you should just have made a statement in your O.P. and then clicked on the ignore thread feature, even though the thread was made by you.

I'm sure your heart was in the right place, but that trade was nothing approaching an integrity issue.
Thanks Dad. You missed the point.

Brother who just beat brother in the SuperBowl trades a key piece of the SB run to said brother for a 6th round pick? Or do they have too much integrity?
Dude. Seriously. This happened 2 years ago and you're bringing it up NOW?? How about you step into 2015.

Furthermore, I truly don't think that Ozzie Newsome would give a rat's ass what John Harbaugh wanted to do with Boldin. Especially since it's pretty clear that Newsome is a better judge of talent.

What year it is? Could have sworn this trade happened like three years ago.

conan.jpg

Belichick got Moss for a fourth and then traded him for a third.

With that said, the NFL is the crowning jewel in the definition of nepotism.

Look at Bill's son, Stephen....I'm sure he has more football knowledge than 9i% of his peers (maybe some head coaches too) but the only reason he is a 2nd year assistant coach is because of his dad.

As long as he works hard, is qualified and competent who cares?

I hear ya', and BB seems to make it work as well as anyone.

Still, as someone who watches this stuff happen in the business world all the time, I have a problem with it. There should be only one qualification for someone getting hired in any organization: they are the best qualified and best fit that can be found in the general population. Anything less is laziness and/or serving a different agenda than the well being of the organization and all the other people who are invested in it and rely on it.

Once you compromise that standard, it is a slippery slope that easily leads to situations like what we see in the NFL front office, where people are being hired from the Jets and other personal networks, apparently without any effort at a global search to find the best possible candidate. And then rationalization sets in to justify it, and the laziness about hiring sets a precedent for laziness in the organization in general.

I saw this not long ago where a VP in a chemical company hired a nephew to run their Manufacturing Safety operation. The guy was qualified but never would have been the winner of a competitive search process. That VP lost a ton of respect, and created a good deal of resentment in the plant crew, when he used a shared asset (the job) to put forward a personal agenda. And the fact that it was a critical job regarding everyone's safety brought crystal clarity to the situation. Unconsciously, people start to have a "WTF" attitude about things that they previously cared a lot about, because the leadership has lowered the standard in such a visible way. Lowered expectations and standards in one area spills over into others.

I know this won't be popular here, but I don't like that BB hires family. It is the only thing I've seen that he's done that actually "compromises the integrity of the game" in my view.

In family businesses like the Krafts, it is common practice of course to have the inheritance thing going on. And, there's a flourishing business of consultants who work with family businesses helping them work through the extra complexity and limitations of having the accident of genetics be a priority factor in determining awarded responsibility and authority.

I hear ya', and BB seems to make it work as well as anyone.

Still, as someone who watches this stuff happen in the business world all the time, I have a problem with it. There should be only one qualification for someone getting hired in any organization: they are the best qualified and best fit that can be found in the general population. Anything less is laziness and/or serving a different agenda than the well being of the organization and all the other people who are invested in it and rely on it.

Once you compromise that standard, it is a slippery slope that easily leads to situations like what we see in the NFL front office, where people are being hired from the Jets and other personal networks, apparently without any effort at a global search to find the best possible candidate. And then rationalization sets in to justify it, and the laziness about hiring sets a precedent for laziness in the organization in general.

I saw this not long ago where a VP in a chemical company hired a nephew to run their Manufacturing Safety operation. The guy was qualified but never would have been the winner of a competitive search process. That VP lost a ton of respect, and created a good deal of resentment in the plant crew, when he used a shared asset (the job) to put forward a personal agenda. And the fact that it was a critical job regarding everyone's safety brought crystal clarity to the situation. Unconsciously, people start to have a "WTF" attitude about things that they previously cared a lot about, because the leadership has lowered the standard in such a visible way. Lowered expectations and standards in one area spills over into others.

I know this won't be popular here, but I don't like that BB hires family. It is the only thing I've seen that he's done that actually "compromises the integrity of the game" in my view.

In family businesses like the Krafts, it is common practice of course to have the inheritance thing going on. And, there's a flourishing business of consultants who work with family businesses helping them work through the extra complexity and limitations of having the accident of genetics be a priority factor in determining awarded responsibility and authority.

Its a good discussion. There are pros/cons to nepotism. You can argue that an inflexible anti-nepotism policy is an impediment for businesses as you are narrowing your field of qualified candidates that can make a positive impact on the business.

Ultimately it come down to the business ethics and awareness of the culture and political landscape of the business and making sure there won't be a problem.

With that said I worked for my dad once during a summer. He was a partner in a small financial consulting firm. He was brutal on me (work wise, not verbally) as he wanted to make sure he wasn't perceived as playing favorites. I was 19. I was like WTF. Once he explained why he was treating me the way he was I understood. Now he kinda works for me so I'm getting even ;)

Dude. Seriously. This happened 2 years ago and you're bringing it up NOW?? How about you step into 2015.

Furthermore, I truly don't think that Ozzie Newsome would give a rat's ass what John Harbaugh wanted to do with Boldin. Especially since it's pretty clear that Newsome is a better judge of talent.
What year did Jerry Rice use stickum? Or all the other things that people have been carping about? How about I post what I want and if people don't like it they are welcome to comment as you did?

What year did Jerry Rice use stickum? Or all the other things that people have been carping about? How about I post what I want and if people don't like it they are welcome to comment as you did?

So, you choose to live in ancient history and not in the here and now.. Great to know.

So, you choose to live in ancient history and not in the here and now.. Great to know.
Not really. I'm loving the here and now. But those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it. A little OT but I love history. Ancient and otherwise. Middle ages is my favorite. Have a great weekend.

Its a good discussion. There are pros/cons to nepotism. You can argue that an inflexible anti-nepotism policy is an impediment for businesses as you are narrowing your field of qualified candidates that can make a positive impact on the business.

Ultimately it come down to the business ethics and awareness of the culture and political landscape of the business and making sure there won't be a problem.

With that said I worked for my dad once during a summer. He was a partner in a small financial consulting firm. He was brutal on me (work wise, not verbally) as he wanted to make sure he wasn't perceived as playing favorites. I was 19. I was like WTF. Once he explained why he was treating me the way he was I understood. Now he kinda works for me so I'm getting even ;)

Thats good and I give your dad credit for being smart to do that. Unfortunately, these days I think family working for family gets cut a lot of slack and they do play favorites.

Thats good and I give your dad credit for being smart to do that. Unfortunately, these days I think family working for family gets cut a lot of slack and they do play favorites.

They can. Especially when there are businesses in which are passed down from generation to generation. Thats when entitlement happens. Drives me nuts when I see that.

Not really. I'm loving the here and now. But those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it. A little OT but I love history. Ancient and otherwise. Middle ages is my favorite. Have a great weekend.

You clearly aren't loving the hear and now otherwise you wouldn't feel the need to dredge up a trade from 2 years ago that had no bearing on the Patriots and attempt to conjure up some conspiracy theory around it.

As for history and being doomed to repeat it. Again, has no bearing on the Patriots..
My weekend will be great. Even with trolling posts like yours cluttering the message board.

You clearly aren't loving the hear and now otherwise you wouldn't feel the need to dredge up a trade from 2 years ago that had no bearing on the Patriots and attempt to conjure up some conspiracy theory around it.

As for history and being doomed to repeat it. Again, has no bearing on the Patriots..
My weekend will be great. Even with trolling posts like yours cluttering the message board.
Loving it. Glad to hear you are as well. And like I said you're entitled to your opinion. Even if that's thinking I'm a troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes