PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Ain't Karma a stitch? Stabler-Brady, Buckner-Murphy Edition

PatsFanSince74

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
OK. I'd never start a thread like this if the Pats were playing today, but they aren't and I can't resist.

Those of us who have been following the Patriots since before it was popular to do so remember where we were and how we felt when "Roughing the Passer" was called on Sugar Bear in 1976 and then we remember our sense of elation when Karma balanced the scales when the Tuck call was overturned about 25 years later.

Flash back 30 years to the ball skipping through Buckner's legs, giving the Mets life in a Series the Sox had "won" and then flash forward to last night when the ball skids under the glove of Daniel Murphy, opening the floodgates to the runs that would give the Royals a 3--1 hammer lock on the Series. Like the Mets in '86, the Royals will still have to win one more game to put it away, but you know what I mean...especially when the final two games are in KC.

Sure, it ain't exactly the same since the Sox aren't playing...but it's sweet nonetheless. The only team I dislike almost intensely as I dislike the Jests is the Mets...

Ha ha. Don't follow baseball anymore, but that game made me sick.

As a Red Sox fan, why do you hate the Mets so intensely? Sure we let the Mets win it in '86, but why do you hate them so much more than the Yankees for example?

Murphy looking like the goat here ... but with Cespedes going cold the Mets are all done...I like that.

Murphy got them to the series ...

As a Red Sox fan, why do you hate the Mets so intensely? Sure we let the Mets win it in '86, but why do you hate them so much more than the Yankees for example?

I hate the Yanks but that 86 Mets team was the most obnoxious, unlikeable, revolting team in professional sports history.

I have those games on VHS at my folks house still.lol

I've lived in NYC for almost 25 years and I have concluded that, if there were a showdown to determine the sports franchise with the lowest level of class in all of sports, the finalists would be the jets and the Mets.

Worse than the holier-than-thou Yankee fans? No freakin' way.

One of the best things about the Sox 3 recent championships is that it shut them the **** up.

Agreed. Mets fans are sometimes Jets fans. They rooted against the Pats this February. I will root against them tonite and Tuesday, Wednesday if necessary.

I hate the Yanks but that 86 Mets team was the most obnoxious, unlikeable, revolting team in professional sports history.

I have those games on VHS at my folks house still.lol
I had those 86 series games on Betamax. the second they lost the series I threw them in the woods from my balcony.

OK. I'd never start a thread like this if the Pats were playing today, but they aren't and I can't resist.

Those of us who have been following the Patriots since before it was popular to do so remember where we were and how we felt when "Roughing the Passer" was called on Sugar Bear in 1976 and then we remember our sense of elation when Karma balanced the scales when the Tuck call was overturned about 25 years later.

Flash back 30 years to the ball skipping through Buckner's legs, giving the Mets life in a Series the Sox had "won" and then flash forward to last night when the ball skids under the glove of Daniel Murphy, opening the floodgates to the runs that would give the Royals a 3--1 hammer lock on the Series. Like the Mets in '86, the Royals will still have to win one more game to put it away, but you know what I mean...especially when the final two games are in KC.

Sure, it ain't exactly the same since the Sox aren't playing...but it's sweet nonetheless. The only team I dislike almost intensely as I dislike the Jests is the Mets...

I tuned into Game 4 last night and I was surprised how much I enjoyed their 8th inning collapse --- especially seeing those Mets fans doing that "rolling their arms" thing behind home plate, just as they did in '86. Brought back some memories and anger that I had supressed, I think.

I remember seeing that they have a big display showing Mookie Wilson and Bill Buckner at Citi Field. I think it was a larger version of this. I remember seeing that and thinking "screw the Mets". So I'm satisfied with how this World Series is playing out, especially the fashion in which the momentum shifted. Royals fans will be able to remember Daniel Murphy fondly the same way Mets fans do Buckner. How's it feel, Mets fans? Not so great, I imagine. Although I know the World Series isn't over just yet.

That is very interesting synergy between that, and the Patriots/Raiders connection.

I tuned into Game 4 last night and I was surprised how much I enjoyed their 8th inning collapse --- especially seeing those Mets fans doing that "rolling their arms" thing behind home plate, just as they did in '86. Brought back some memories and anger that I had supressed, I think.
ugh! You just brought back some bad memories. I remember there was a really obnoxious woman who stood behind home plate and did that arm rolling thing. She was so annoying that I sometimes wondered whether she actually did get under the skin of a younger pitcher

I wrote a 10th grade essay on why the Red Sox would beat the Mets in the World Series. It was a work of art filled with stats and detailed comparisons from the pitchers,coaching and batters.

I was so proud of that essay until it was handed back to me with an A- two days after they blew game 7. I burnt that puppy as soon as I got home.

Been away for more than a week and the only sports I got was from that 4 letter network that will remain nameless. All week long they promoted the world series that started off with the Buckner mishap. (It's behind the bag, yada, yada) A very good friend who is a Mets fan (and Jets too FFS!) put something on FB yesterday or so, about the Mets coming back twice from a 2 games down series. I responded this morning that Bill Buckner only did it once!

the first thing i thought of when i saw murphy let that ball go under his glove was buckner...do NOT expect espn to harp on this forever like they did buckner....not happening ! ny is their baby! boston is their nemesis.

was at that pats game in oakland in 76. we got royally hosed but the stingley play a year or 2 later was worse because it was preseason. i have to shower when i root for the raiders but when they play the rats.... i shower.

Yeah, the Mets inflicted that horrific loss on the Sox fans in '86, but they are not so consistently successful a franchise to make them easy to hate (Titles in only '69, and '86). Having lived in NYC during the Subway Series, I found that the Mets fan base was mostly a downtrodden bunch with a massive inferiority complex to the Yankees. Sox fans and Red Sox fans have a lot in common actually.

Worse than the holier-than-thou Yankee fans? No freakin' way.

One of the best things about the Sox 3 recent championships is that it shut them the **** up.
as far as I can see, the Yankees only crime and the cause of nearly all of the hatred directed at them outside of their fan base is the same crime committed by the Patriots: they have won too often. When I first moved to NYC, I was amazed to observe that Yankee fans seemed to enjoy it that I, as a red sox fan, hated their team. Now I understand it. They have embraced the hate, much as many of us have embraced the hate of those who "Hate us 'cause they ain't us."

Ain't Karma a stitch? Stabler-Brady, Buckner-Murphy Edition

Now you can add Little-Collins

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back