Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT Advice.. virus protection needs updating

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Jul 8, 2009.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Have used McAfee on my old computer, got a virus.. on the new computer use Norton, seems slow.. time to renew any ideas.. have to do it to three computers..

When I was working used AVG and it seemed fast, any suggestions are appreciated, we have a lack of computer folks in my family and friends..
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

3. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

The place I work for has an IT department and they recommend AVG. As a matter of fact they hate Norton because it gives hackers easy work-arounds. McAfee isn't as bad but is still more vulnerable than Norton.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  4. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

If you want a good AV, use ESET-NOD32. McAfee and Norton SUCKS! How do I know? because they don't have a good record of detecting viruses.

Furtheremore, they cost a lot of money to update and upgrade and SLOW your computer down.

i ALSO want to mention that their scaning engine is REALLY SLOW.

Go to this web site to find out of your antivirus program is any good. http://www.virusbtn.com/index
  5. godef

godef Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I use ShieldDeluxe 2009, reasonable price for a two year, 3 PC contract for my wife and I, and it comes highly rated.
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

The best AV out there is Kaspersky right now. I have a free AV from Symantec that's very good, but it only works on systems that run XP. It doesn't work with Vista, or Windows 7. As most have already mentioned, Avast & AVG are two of the better free anti-virus software's available. Some recommend running both on your system. Personally, I despise McAfee, and am not too high on Norton.

It's also good to download and install Ad-aware from Lavasoft. They have a free version that I highly recommend. It'll find a lot of the spy, and malware that constantly tugs on operating systems.
  7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Thank, now that I have about 5 different suggestions.. more confused, one thing is obvious that Norton or McAfee will not be the choice...
  8. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Avira has some of the top results for catching baddies, if not the best. The free version is more than adequate. Runs light, too.

Avira Anti-vir. It's German but speaks English.

//
  9. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Go with eset-nod32. Why? Because I TRIED ALL OF ABOVE SUGGESTION 10 years ago. In the end, i stick to nod32 for a few reasons.

1- It's cheaper.
    2-Better performance.
    3-Better virus detection.

Did you look at the virus test result link that i gave it to you? Look at it and you will see nod32 outperforms EVERYBODY ELSE.
  10. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +477 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

I have used Iolo System Mechanic for at least 5 years ... maybe more?

Never had an issue ... ever ... it's not only anti spam and anti virus but it acts as another firewall.

Anyone just using anti virus and anti spam is at risk ... can't depend on Microsoft anymore.
    There's a new hack out there and Microsoft has yet to fix it.
    System mechanic catches every attempt at every intrusion.
  11. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Get a Mac.
  12. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I used nod32 for two years because it IS very good, but they lost me when they went from v 2 to v 3. After trying many others I found that for a pure AV / Anti-spyware, Avira is right up there with nod32 and Kaspersky, and it has an excellent free version.

But as I realized there were other ways to infect machines, and NO one AV package can find everything all the time, I finally tried some HIPS and anti-executable programs and have settled on Online Armor with AV. It checks every single executable *before* it executes and asks you if you want to run it. (You can also scan all your other files anytime you want, too.) Safest way. With proper white listing you can cut pop-ups to a very rare occasion. Oh, and it is an *excellent* firewall, too; for land lines and wireless, too. The best I've seen. OA ++

For test results, check here: www.matousec.com: Security software testing, analyses, research and reviews.

//
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Thank you, went for the 2 year 3 user.. AVG...