PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Addai

Status
Not open for further replies.

stcjones

Pro Bowl Player
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I know that Indy was playing at home against the "soul-less" Eagles....a team that seems demoralized like the Iraqi troops during desert storm...so bad that they surrendered to a few cameramen......BUT ...Joseph Addai really looked great yesterday. I am not just referring to the 4 TD's...but some of his moves just looked downright nasty...and are things I hadn't seen much from him thus far.....as he seems to be mostly a North-south runner with a few jukes thrown in.

Anyways, although I still theink Maroney is the much better back...I have a little more respect for Addai.....I wonder what Maroney could do with all those carries against a demoralized, "we done give up" D??? Perhaps we shall see this Weekend against the Lions. While I still see this as a potential trap game.....I see Pats winning big.......What did you all think of Addai?

Good game for him but he does have the benefit of playing on the team with the best passing game of any of the big rookie RB's this year. The Eagles have a bad run defense anyway and they played in nickel pretty much the whole time. Rhodes also averaged 4.5 YPC. Regardless, Addai is a good back who had a great game and Indy should be very happy with him.

While the Pats passing game is getting better, it is still not the consistent threat like Indy's. At his press conference Brady said the Bears did;t play a down of nickel the whole game.

Addai is an excellent, well rounded back and a good person also. He was a very good draft pick for the Colts. He runs tough, like Marion Barber, and benefits from 6.5 men in the box due to the Colts passing game, just as Edge did. That being said, he takes alot of punishment because he runs with so much heart, and I don't think he'll have a long career due to that fact. But if the Colts win it all with him this year, then it was well worth it for their team.

In the Chicago game, the Bears put 8 in the box all game because they feared the Pats running game more than the passing game. This rarely happens with Addai, due to Manning and his prolific receivers. By next season, once the Pats integrate Chad Jackson into the offense and the passing game becomes fearsome once again, Maroney will break out as a superstar.

Addai and Maroney are both good backs, and I look forward to a career rivalry similar to Brady/Manning.

Keep in mind, Travis Henry slashed and dashed the Eagles for some 150 yards and a couple scores the week before. I think they're a pretty weak run stopping team judging by that.

Keep in mind, Travis Henry slashed and dashed the Eagles for some 150 yards and a couple scores the week before. I think they're a pretty weak run stopping team judging by that.
No, no, there's more than just the Eagles game.

I took great joy in the rumors of Addai being dumber than a stump and unable to pick up the playbook, I took great joy in the thought of him being a total bust after watching him in pre-season, yada yada yada... but begrudgingly, after watching a few of his recent games, I think Indy ended up with a darn good RB for their system.

Oh, and I hate the Dolts, and I hate saying anything good about any of them. :)

I know that Indy was playing at home against the "soul-less" Eagles....a team that seems demoralized like the Iraqi troops during desert storm...so bad that they surrendered to a few cameramen......BUT ...Joseph Addai really looked great yesterday. I am not just referring to the 4 TD's...but some of his moves just looked downright nasty...and are things I hadn't seen much from him thus far.....as he seems to be mostly a North-south runner with a few jukes thrown in.

Anyways, although I still theink Maroney is the much better back...I have a little more respect for Addai.....I wonder what Maroney could do with all those carries against a demoralized, "we done give up" D??? Perhaps we shall see this Weekend against the Lions. While I still see this as a potential trap game.....I see Pats winning big.......What did you all think of Addai?

its not the carries or what team..its their offense..they dont put anyone extra in box with Wayne and Harrison otu there and there OL is better than ours. we usually have a safety in box like Rhodes, Sanders, Harris

playcalling too..they call plays that fit his style..we call power plays for Maroney..wheres the advantage?

Addai is a good back for their system. He's going to get holes and he is efficient using them.

He's no Maroney, though IMO.

Addai seems to do two things well. He doesn't stop moving when he cuts. He is good at finding seems and getting through them. I fully understand what the Colts are doing by using the combo back system, avaoiding the rookie wall and making sure there is something in the tank for the playoffs. But, it is frustrating watching Rhodes because he really doesn't do either of those things well.

Addai is growing on me.

Still upset when I heard Maroney was selected by N.E.

Addai seems the more complete RB right now. He did look great against the Eagles and would have my vote as Offensive Rookie of the year. That said, I don't give a damn who the OROY is nor do the Patriots. Maroney has the potential to be a special player and is still on the learning curve. He's got a great attitude and has already picked up alot from Dillon (wicked straight arm, pass blocking). He's ahead on kick returns and yards after catch. He still gets stuffed behind the LOS more than I'd like, but his judgement will improve.

Addai seems the more complete RB right now. He did look great against the Eagles and would have my vote as Offensive Rookie of the year. That said, I don't give a damn who the OROY is nor do the Patriots. Maroney has the potential to be a special player and is still on the learning curve. He's got a great attitude and has already picked up alot from Dillon (wicked straight arm, pass blocking). He's ahead on kick returns and yards after catch. He still gets stuffed behind the LOS more than I'd like, but his judgement will improve.

Two different backs, both with great potential. I don't know why, but when I watch Addai run, he reminds me of a bigger, faster Emmit Smith. Of course, being bigger and faster doesn't guarantee he'll be better than Smith was, but he certainly has a bright future, and is the odds on favorite to win ROY (though Colston was having an incredible season before his injury). I was a big fan of Addai going into the draft when it looked like the Pats were going to pick a defensive player in the first round. At least I thought they were going defense, when they threw a curveball and picked Maroney.

Maroney has great potential as well, and leads all rookies in all purpose yards. I think both backs fit their systems well, and will have very good careers. Maroney has shown flashes of being a gamebreaker, and I think he will have some very long runs on his resume when his career is done, I think Addai will as well, but I don't think he will have as many.

Some interesting points have been made as far as the different styles of defenses the backs face, Maroney definately faces more 8 man fronts, due to the struggling passing game, where Addai faces more 6.5 man fronts. That doesn't take away from the great season Addai has been having, I'm very impressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back