Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: ABC Sports no more

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by pats1, Aug 10, 2006.

1. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/11/sports/othersports/11sandomir.html?ex=1312948800&en=fa9dad9edf823bc4&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  2. godef

godef Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

What do you mean borrowed? ESPN is OWNED by ABC. This is the equivalent of the Red Sox borrowing their 1st round pick from Pawtucket.
  3. Patriots4Ever

Patriots4Ever Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

To be honest,and this may come to a surprise to some,but I actually truly enjoyed ABC's coverage of the NFL games because it just brought a true family aura to the games.I think having a choice on which broadcast to watch was a nice change of pace.Why ESPN has to have it all I will never understand.Granted they do cover the games well but come on now.:::shrugs::: just my two cents.
  4. Willie55

Willie55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Anybody remember when they had Monday Night Baseball on ABC? That was when I liked MLB.

Speaking of the ESPN empire, anbody else read the book that was written years ago about how it was created. A father and son team created the network on scam. They made alot of promises that weren't true: when they went for financing from the bank, they told the bank they had satellite contracts signed. When they went to get the satellite contracts signed, they said they had the financing all in order. There were other 'untruths' also which were all very interesting.

And as soon as the network got up and running, the founders (father and son) knew they would be forced out very quickly, which did happen (w/in a years time). And the rest they say is history.
  5. Willie55

Willie55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

from Pro Football talk:

6. desi-patsfan

desi-patsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well you're almost correct, ABC and ESPN are owned by Disney. They are more like brothers.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  7. Weishuhn

Weishuhn Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

This is simply a corporate restructuring. Maintaining a separate ABC Sports division was wasteful in terms of staffing, resources, and duplication of effort. It also gives them more opportunity to cross-promote their ESPN content. The continued drift away from sports toward the shorter, limited attention span friendly, reality programming made this an inevitable and easy business decision.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2005
  8. PromisedLand

PromisedLand Virtual Internet Person

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

This is about as much of a non-story as the "demise of Monday Night Football". ABC/ESPN hyped this non-event all throughout last season, then turned the final game on ABC itself into a self-absorbed nostalgia-fest. Then they bombarded us all offseason with promos for "Monday Night Football on ESPN", like it was something brand new.

All that really happened is that the Disney corporation which owns both networks switched the broadcast from one of their channels to another. Big deal.
  9. godef

godef Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

OK thanks.
  10. bobgeorge

bobgeorge Moderator

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That father and son team (Bill and Scott Rasmussen) were from my hometown. Bill was a weekend sports anchor at Springfield's NBC affiliate (WWLP TV-22), his son Scott a standout hockey goalie at my high school. The story goes that one day Bill and Scott were driving in a car from Springfield to Hartford, and Bill said to Scott, "Gee, what if they ever came up with a 24-hour sports network?" The two of them subsequently set out to found what is now ESPN. Whatever "untruths" there might have been, give them credit for having the gumption and the smarts to get ESPN going, as well as the foresight for having it become what it did, though I would doubt that the Rasmussens could have ever envisioned the giant it did become.

Bob G