PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: A Defense to Match: Appreciating the Stingy Spartans in the Offensive Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
A Defense to Match: Appreciating the Stingy Spartans in the Offensive Age << Grantland

Really good read from Chris Brown about MSU's simplified stable defense and how they handle all the wacky innovations of college football offenses.

It was particularly interesting hearing their thoughts on press coverage simplifying things for the defense.

The other reason is more practical: Eschewing conventional wisdom, Dantonio and Narduzzi sincerely believe it’s easier to play press coverage on the wide receiver than to play off of him. Against press, a receiver has fewer routes he can run, and must declare right away which ones he’s running as he releases inside or outside at the snap. Against soft coverage, however, a receiver has the freedom to run any route he wants without giving clues to the defense. Thus, it actually “takes a better player to play off the receiver than in press coverage,” Dantonio said at the clinic. “If the corner can run and has good balance, he will be a better press player than an off-player.”

I'm willing to bet if u ask WRs they will say they'd rather face off coverage than press...

The prob comes bc defenders excel at one or the other usually, and the two require different skill sets, and surprise is a factor, so if the QB knows that press is coming he knows how to react, same with zone, if u mix it up u get to surprise qbs and therefore give ur defense a better chance

Michigan State has had my favorite college defense for the past 3-4 years. It's the reason I obsess about drafting their defenders and I'm always wrong (Jerel Worthy, Isaiah Lewis, William Gholston, Darqueze Dennard) about how good they will be. It turns out it's just great coaching and a good scheme.

On a side note, there is a minor connection with the Michigan State coaching staff to the Patriots. The Spartans' secondary coach is Harlon Barnett; he played for the Patriots for two years, and prior to that he was with the Bill Belichick-coached Cleveland Browns.

Harlon Barnett Bio - Michigan State Official Athletic Site

All Things Pats

Barnett was drafted in the fourth round, 101st overall in the 1990 draft by the Cleveland Browns. He played 38 games with ten starts in three seasons with the Browns before Bill Belichick cut him after week one – allegedly with the idea of re-signing him – and Bill Parcells claimed him off waivers. The 1993 Patriots were in disarray in the backfield, and Bennett started 12 games in ’93, and then all 16 games in ’94. He then played two years with Minnesota, finishing his NFL career with 99 games and 53 starts, 264 tackles, four interceptions, three forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries.

In two seasons with the Patriots Barnett made 120 tackles with four interceptions, two fumble recoveries and two forced fumbles. He started in 28 of the 30 games he played for the Patriots, plus one playoff game.

Barnett was a captain and All-American at Michigan State, and after retiring from pro football he eventually returned to East Lansing. Since 2007 he has been the Spartans’ secondary coach, leading that unit to be one of college football’s top defensive units during his tenure.​

Michigan State has had my favorite college defense for the past 3-4 years. It's the reason I obsess about drafting their defenders and I'm always wrong (Jerel Worthy, Isaiah Lewis, William Gholston, Darqueze Dennard) about how good they will be. It turns out it's just great coaching and a good scheme.

I think that Darqueze Dennard is a pretty elite talent at CB. Of course that may take a year or two to fully translate over to the NFL, but I'd have been pretty geeked had we snagged him--and this is coming from a tOSU fan.

I'm interested to see how well this press man philosophy carries over now that Dennard has gone to the NFL, as my guess is that we'll be seeing a dropoff for sure. As a whole though, they always have a pretty decent defense.

Thanks for posting this. It's an interesting read. Not sure how it would work on a pro level, but I am reminded of this:

Seattle Seahawks walloped Denver Broncos with simple scheme - NFL.com

I agree, not sure that it would survive as a full-time thing on the pro level. But as a way of combatting some of the fast-track offenses that are developing, might be a good piece of the toolkit to prepare.

I found the different view on press coverage intriguing. Obviously guys get burned playing press too, but is it any worse than giving a guy his full route tree? Browner is the obvious example of a guy who needs to play press to simplify things, but I wonder how much it helps Revis and Sherman. Those guys would be amazing no matter what, but I wonder what the numbers are like when they play off vs. press.

And I also like how things don't have to be more complicated to work. The simplified blur offense vs. the simplified Spartans defense. The Seahawks simplifying things against the Broncos is another great example of that, great link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back