Status
Not open for further replies.

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This from USAtoday:

San Francisco 49ers Team Report - USATODAY.com

"The 49ers are planning to place the franchise tag on nose tackle Aubrayo Franklin, who is scheduled for unrestricted free agency, unless they first sign him to a contract extension. Linebacker Patrick Willis is among those who believes the 49ers simply can't afford to allow Franklin to leave the organization. 'I pray to God that they keep Aubrayo,' said Willis, who credits his ability to lead the league in tackles to the play of the linemen in front of him. 'The coaches already know where my heart is. I say he's the best nose in the game. Like I said before, you turn on the film and it shows. Nobody plays with better technique. I feel like nobody knows the game better than he knows it. He's not a very big guy, but he's technically sound, and it keeps my head from getting busted every play.' "

Not sure if that will have any impact on the Vince Wilfork situation.

It shouldn't. The tag is a pre-set amount, so Franklin will be looking at around $7M at least next year. Not bad.

It shouldn't. The tag is a pre-set amount, so Franklin will be looking at around $7M at least next year. Not bad.

The tag about doesn't impact Vince & the Pats directly, but it does potentially impact the market and any leverage either side maybe looking to gain during negotiations. Two angles:

1. Now that Franklin is off the market (assumed that a team will not give up 2 1s for him), team that are desperate for a solid NT may want to work out a deal w/ the Pats to get Wilfork- who by all accounts is a better player than Franklin and would demand more in a trade.

2. If the 49ers and Franklin work out a long-term deal, the framework of that deal will be used by either side as a starting point (depending on how each side wishes to play it.).

Last edited:
The tag about doesn't impact Vince & the Pats directly, but it does potentially impact the market and any leverage either side maybe looking to gain during negotiations. Two angles:

1. Now that Franklin is off the market (assumed that a team will not give up 2 1s for him), team that are desperate for a solid NT may want to work out a deal w/ the Pats to get Wilfork- who by all accounts is a better player than Franklin and would demand more in a trade.

As a minor point, remember that franchise tags cannot actually be used until after the Super Bowl.

As a minor point, remember that franchise tags cannot actually be used until after the Super Bowl.

Yep Feb 8th is the 1st day that they can do it I think as the SB is Feb 7th.

Last edited:

2. If the 49ers and Franklin work out a long-term deal, the framework of that deal will be used by either side as a starting point (depending on how each side wishes to play it.).

Those were the points I had in mind.

As others have noted, obviously SF can't officially tag Franklin till after the 2009 season is over. And obviously, it doesn't directly affect the Pats. But it affects the market for 3-4 DTs, and it can set some relative value on Wilfork, who is generally rated above Franklin, regardless of Patrick Willis' comments. Willis certainly makes it obvious that he appreciates the importance of a big stud up front taking on the blockers and allowing him to run around and make plays.

What happens with Pittsburgh and Casey Hampton will also have an indirect effect on the market for Wilfork, and the value placed on 3-4 NTs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back