PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: 49ers and Crabtree agree to deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disco Volante

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
San Francisco 49ers, Michael Crabtree agree to contract - ESPN

After months of holding out, wide receiver Michael Crabtree has agreed to a contract with the San Francisco 49ers, league sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Crabtree will get a six-year deal that he can void to five years if he meets undefined performance clauses, a league source told ESPN's Michael Smith.

The 22-year-old Crabtree is expected to report to the team's training facility Wednesday.

Only took a quarter of the season, but it's done now.

San Francisco 49ers, Michael Crabtree agree to contract - ESPN

Only took a quarter of the season, but it's done now.

Finally. Now people can stop talking about him re-entering the draft next year. Of course, I bet the 49ers end up essentially paying him for what may be a lost season, since he's missed almost 3 months of time to learn the offense, get in sync with the QB, and, of course, contribute.

Maybe now that he's signed he'll open up about whether the Jets tampered. :singing:

How long will he take to get to know what the heck he is doing?? I doubt he will do much this year...unless it's really late in the season.

And just hours after, the Jets get Braylon Edwards...Hmm...

I won't be surprised if we see alot of running plays involving Crabtree until he gets use to the offense.

Wheyyyy, thank god, nothing irritates me more than people who have a load of talent and waste it like that, I would play in the nfl for peanuts

Wheyyyy, thank god, nothing irritates me more than people who have a load of talent and waste it like that, I would play in the nfl for peanuts
Lol if you played in the NFL you wouldn't be able to enjoy those peanuts, since you'd probably be eating through a straw by week 3 haha.

Same here, surely the players realise if they take a bit less cash it means the whole team can be upgraded, and it's not like a couple of million isn't a lot is it? greed more then the love of the game looks to be what drives some players :(

Glad he's signed though, the 49ers were my tip for the NFC West, and Crabtree can only help them down the stretch really.

Finally. Now people can stop talking about him re-entering the draft next year. Of course, I bet the 49ers end up essentially paying him for what may be a lost season, since he's missed almost 3 months of time to learn the offense, get in sync with the QB, and, of course, contribute.

Maybe now that he's signed he'll open up about whether the Jets tampered. :singing:

I think we should be glad that this happened because I am betting that this whole drama could really cinch the rookie cap proposition for 2010 or 2011, in time for our top two picks. I imagine the owners are disgusted at how this has turned out.

If this kid ends up sucking, he'll be the joke of the year. Missed the combines, missed camp, and asks for more money, what a jerk off. He deserves to suck d%#*!@t lol.

well, i now hope he deserves the contract he got, but i doubt he does much of anything this or even next season....

well, i now hope he deserves the contract he got, but i doubt he does much of anything this or even next season....

Disagree. The 49ers' O will be drastically improved now. Crabtree will be one of the best possession receivers in the NFL within a few weeks. If they can get him 10+ touches a game, he's going to light it up.

Good for them. They're going to be a good team this year and I like Singeltary as a coach. He's the anti-BB, but he gets it done. Anybody know what the official figures are for the contract?

Per Schefter...

Crabtree deal truly was a compromise. Check out the $: $19 million over first 3 yrs, $28 million over first 5, and $32 million over 6 yrs.

Here's the compromise: Niners get Crabtree for six years, and Crabtree gets $28 million -- $8 more million than Niners were offering in Aug.

Now,finally,people will see the logic behind BB taking Oakland's 2011 instead of 2010..........the top 10 picks will be insane,next year.Unless you're after a franchise QB,having a top ten pick is financial suicide.With what New Jersey* paid Sanchez at No 5 and what Crabtree got at No 10,the slotting system is now in total disarray.

What Belichick did in this year's draft and having a *1 and 3 *2's next year is just extraordinary,imho.

I think Crabtree is the weirdest, stupidest draft pick in recent memory (in terms of negociating, not what will become of him - some guys have set the bar too "high").

I hope nothing but bad things for him professionally and I hope he is a failure in the game of football. Congrats rookie, you just wasted a year of your career for absolutely nothing that couldn't have been had in August and you've become a joke.

I disagree on all points.

You have your own personal understanding of negotiations.

Crabtree chose to use the options available to him under the CBA. Crabtree got $8M for agreeing to the 6th year. He did not have that in August. He is not in any sense a joke for negotiating.

And just BTW, why has he lost a season? Perhaps he won't get ROY awards, but he already has received that compensation in his contract. He will definitely contribute this year. And the Crabtree signing must move SF to be a favorite in making the playoffs.

I think Crabtree is the weirdest, stupidest draft pick in recent memory (in terms of negociating, not what will become of him - some guys have set the bar too "high").

I hope nothing but bad things for him professionally and I hope he is a failure in the game of football. Congrats rookie, you just wasted a year of your career for absolutely nothing that couldn't have been had in August and you've become a joke.

Disagree. The 49ers' O will be drastically improved now. Crabtree will be one of the best possession receivers in the NFL within a few weeks. If they can get him 10+ touches a game, he's going to light it up.
I am actually in the camp that says Michael Crabtree is going to be a fine player someday, but this is just way too much. He'll be lucky if he's got 10 touches this month, forget about per game.

1) Yes, this is way too much. However, that is because the pay for the top 10 is way too much. It has nothing to do with Crabtree. I expect that there will be some limits when and if a new CBA is signed.

2) No matter how many touches he gets in October and November, he will be getting significant touches in December and Janauary when it counts. He will also be getting significant touches for the 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 seasons.

I am actually in the camp that says Michael Crabtree is going to be a fine player someday, but this is just way too much. He'll be lucky if he's got 10 touches this month, forget about per game.

Crabtree got $8M for agreeing to the 6th year. He did not have that in August. He is not in any sense a joke for negotiating
The reports aren't completely clear yet, but it looks to me like the 8M extra was money which he quite possibly would have had a chance for as realistically attainable incentives. So he gained money if he is a bust or badly injured, but not if he is the success he wants to be. And the extra year sets up problems later, as the salary is 4M which will be far below top receiver money, costing him money unless he is good enough to void it (which seems to have a pretty high bar).

His guaranteed money looks slotted and no better at all than he would have done in August.

Had he negotiated realistically in August, I think very possibly he COULD have gotten this deal then. This was a "we're close, let's get the deal done" sort of compromise. But in August Crabtree was by all reports still set on DHB (7th pick) money. Which he completely failed to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back