PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: 2007 sleeper teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
As good as the Rams offense was, their defense was twice as bad. Worst in the league last year. Hard to see them making such a big turnaround. Granted they could win their lame division and make the playoffs, but they'll be an easy out.

Another team that has gotten lost in the New England\San Diego\Indy hype is Jacksonville. They could conceivably contend for a Championship.

Yeah I hear what you're saying about the defense, but I'm just going on the fact that the offense can score 38 a game and win all by themselves. HAHA!

As for the Jags, they are too inconsistant at QB. They'll probably have 3 different guys start this year and get more inconsistant play. Not to mention their WR group is full of under achievers.

I should pick the rams....screw it I'll be different!
Minnesota

Sir, you might have nailed it. The Vikings alrady had the best run defense in the NFC, to which they add 2006 1st round pick Chad Greenway. They had a pretty decent secondary, to which they very quietly added Marcus McCauley. With the Bears experiencing some personnell struggles, the Vikings could have the best defense in the NFC.

The addition of Adrian Peterson gives the Vikings two backs ready to carry the load behind a offensive line that is well anchored. If Tavarious Jackson develops into just a decent game-manager type of player, and Troy Williamson's eyesight was really the issue, the Vikings could be a playoff team.

I'm going to throw in my AFC pick, and it pains me to say: the Miami Dolphins. Porter is overrated, but throw him in a front 7 with Taylor, Traylor, Holliday, Thomas and Crowder and you have a nasty, disruptive unit. The secondary is underrated. For the first time in 25 years the Fins have both a quality QB and a good running game. If Lorenzo Booker and Ronnie Brown can develop into reliable safety nets for Green, then they will have enough on offense to be competitive. Miami will contend for a wild card spot.

Sir, you might have nailed it. The Vikings alrady had the best run defense in the NFC, to which they add 2006 1st round pick Chad Greenway. They had a pretty decent secondary, to which they very quietly added Marcus McCauley. With the Bears experiencing some personnell struggles, the Vikings could have the best defense in the NFC.

The Vikings had one of the worst pass defenses in the league. No team bothered to run against them after they saw how we played them. They just passed all game and the Vikings couldn't stop them.

Thank you for your prognostication on my pick swami - and while you are at it,who is going to be our president in 2091? - you seem to see ahead so well to criticize other picks :rolleyes:

You called Carr a cancer, how was he a cancer?

And they swapped out QB's but did nothing to correct the real problem.

I guess you also predicted New Orleans was going to be in the NFC Championship game last year too,right?

Give me a freakin break,you know about as much as I do to who the surprise team will be this year.

A little sensitive are we?

I had NO's as a possible sleeper, but felt they had what appeared to be tough of a schedule from mid-September into November. They played ATL/CAR/TB/Philly/Balt/TB/Pit/Cincy and ATL again. That is five games against '05 playoff teams and four games games against teams that many thought had legitimate playoff chances.

Last edited:
The Vikings had one of the worst pass defenses in the league. No team bothered to run against them after they saw how we played them. They just passed all game and the Vikings couldn't stop them.

Not to mention possibly the worst QB situation in the NFL.

Let's be honest, any of the teams in the NFC North is a dark horse this year so long as they can field around 24 two-legged players. You could make a case for each one of the four to make the playoffs, beginning with the point "I just don't see how they're worse than the rest of the division."

My pick for a new division champion is ...Jacksonville. They had injuries last year and fell to .500 but the team won 12 games the year before.

The Colts have lost NINE starters! Roll that over in your mind. Yes they have a couple of DBs who could step up, but think. Take 9 starters off the Pats and would they be as strong? No way.

The Colts fall like lots of Super bowl clubs, (latest the Steelers), to around 8-8 the year after. And the Jags bounce back to 11 or 12 wins like they have shown they are capable of doing. Looking at their roster they have closed some holes they had as a 12 win club, and are actually stronger now.

Last edited:
My pick for a new division champion is ...Jacksonville. They had injuries last year and fell to .500 but the team won 12 games the year before.

The Colts have lost NINE starters! Roll that over in your mind. Yes they have a couple of DBs who could step up, but think. Take 9 starters off the Pats and would they be as strong? No way.

The Colts fall like lots of Super bowl clubs, (latest the Steelers), to around 8-8 the year after. And the Jags bounce back to 11 or 12 wins like they have shown they are capable of doing. Looking at their roster they have closed some holes they had as a 12 win club, and are actually stronger now.

It think the Colts win 10 or 11 games AT WORST.

It think the Colts win 10 or 11 games AT WORST.

Why?

I'll concede they have an Offense. But now they have one RB. Harrison is as old as Troy Brown. He is/was more talented, but a receiver like him suddenly loses it or gets hurt. Gonzalez will be a good WR ,if he has a year or three to acclimate.

The Colts have no margin. Their Defense resembles an expansion club. If the Offense fall off to merely good but not great, they will look like a a lot of recent clubs KC of two three years ago, or Cincinnati of last year All Offense no Defense; and that doesn't win unless the O is Spectacular.

Last edited:

I still think that 2005 Jacksonville team was incredibly over rated. They seemed to play almost no one throughout the year and when they ran into a good team in the playoffs, they were crushed. They have a very shaky QB situation and receivers who are twice as inconsistant as my boy Chambers.

Last edited:
I still think that 2004 Jacksonville team was incredibly over rated. They seemed to play almost no one throughout the year and when they ran into a good team in the playoffs, they were crushed. They have a very shaky QB situation and receivers who are twice as inconsistant as my boy Chambers.
"My boy Chambers"? Aqua man your sick. :rolleyes:

"My boy Chambers"? Aqua man your sick. :rolleyes:

Once again having nothing to do with the topic. You're getting good at that, I'm begining to suspect that Patspride has hacked your account.

"My boy Chambers"? Asswipe4ever man your sick. :rolleyes:
its restraining order time for chambers .i wonder if he knows hes being stalked .aqua is getting killed :D

Last edited:

The Vikings problems vs. the pass were a result of lack of pass rush, not the defensive backs. They have a solid group of CBs (Winfield, Griffin, McCauley). If they can get some extra push out of their front four, their pass defense will be much improved.

Why?

I'll concede they have an Offense. But now they have one RB. Harrison is as old as Troy Brown. He is/was more talented, but a receiver like him suddenly loses it or gets hurt. Gonzalez will be a good WR ,if he has a year or three to acclimate.

The Colts have no margin. Their Defense resembles an expansion club. If the Offense fall off to merely good but not great, they will look like a a lot of recent clubs KC of two three years ago, or Cincinnati of last year All Offense no Defense; and that doesn't win unless the O is Spectacular.

The Colts have proven that they know how to win games, particulary in the regular season. As long as they have that offense, they will remain competitive.

I agree. The AFC has nine legitmate contenders, as you state. There is little room for sleepers.

On the other hand, the NFC is so weak that contenders are called sleepers. There isn't much after NO, Chicago, Philly, Seattle and Dallas. IMHO, the Panthers and the Rams are surely legitimate contenders for the last wild card spot.

NFC only AFC is way too top heavy.

Denver,SD,KC,Cinci,Baltimore,Pittsburgh,Indi,Jacksonville,NE and maybe even NYJ are playoff teams. Getting in the top ten would be tough let alone the playoffs. Houston, with their schedule, could pull a Jets but wont.

Washington

I should pick the rams....screw it I'll be different!
Minnesota

P.S. I am loving that San Fran is the popular pick. Thier first month will be a blood bath. Everyone will be gunning for them. They will be lucky to be 2-3 at the bye. hahaha

The Vikings problems vs. the pass were a result of lack of pass rush, not the defensive backs. They have a solid group of CBs (Winfield, Griffin, McCauley). If they can get some extra push out of their front four, their pass defense will be much improved.

McCauley wasn't with the team last year. He's a third round draft pick that I don't know how anyone can assume will be "solid". Winfield played like he didn't care last year, although I think he's still a great player. Griffin was a rookie who looked OK. As a whole they stink in coverage, especially the linebackers and safeties.

McCauley wasn't with the team last year. He's a third round draft pick that I don't know how anyone can assume will be "solid". Winfield played like he didn't care last year, although I think he's still a great player. Griffin was a rookie who looked OK. As a whole they stink in coverage, especially the linebackers and safeties.

And they lost Fred Smoot.

They have some name players, the ones you mentioned, and Darren Sharper at safety, but their secondary really stunk last year.

Part of it was that the coaches seemed to make no adjustments. I remember one writer was astonished that when we played them and went five wide they didn't even go into the nickel or dime. They stayed in their base defense and Brady torched them up and down the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes