Welcome to PatsFans.com

Oscar

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -10

:singing::singing:
    An old John Wayne war movie wins the Oscar, I wonder how that happened.........

I thought those people hated war.......

2. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

This years outcome of the Oscars again re-enforces the disconnection with reality that hollywood has.

I watched the Hurt Locker, it wasn't that good. It was interesting, but it was no Saving Private Ryan, or any number of better war movies. I thought it was slow, and boring to be honest with ya. I enjoyed the Iraqi War Movie with Jamiee Foxx a LOT more than Hurt Locker.

Than there was Avatar.

Not only was it one of the more impressive movies I have ever seen, but it pushed the technology envelope, and the story lien was great, and the activing was very well done all to have me walking out of the theatre saying this may be the best movie I have ever seen and it went into the top 5 all time list for me.

The rest of America agrees with me, by making Avatar the number 1 movie ever and shattering records daily.

Yet the Hurt Locker, which almost no one went to the theatre to see, wins all the major awards?

Something is wrong here right?

One on hand, we have a movie that the movie goers barely saw, and not one of my friends that saw the Hurt Locker ever raved about it, and on the other hand, there was a movie that was talked about in my circle of friends constantly for at least 3 weeks...

The Hurt Locker simply wasn't that good. It was interesting, in a documentary kinda of way, but as far as bringing me into a story, or setting, etc... I thought it was boring. And I LOVE war movies...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I agree with everything you said.

I saw both movies, too. "Up" was better than Hurt or Avatar if you want a great story and I could watch it with the kids (there aren't many of those!). Avatar was great, too, as far as craftsmanship goes.

The story od Hurt wasn't taht great even though it could have been. Three of my favorite top 5 movies are war movies, so it wasn't the genre I didn't like. It was just boring. When I left the theater, I didn't want to go buy another ticket and see it again. That's my criteria for a great movie. I saw Star Wars three times the first day. Saw Jaws and Saving Private Ryan twice.

4. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -10

The Drudge headline reads this morning "Oscar Winner, Movie Nobody Has Seen"

Everything in Hollywood these days is political, they play to themselves, their politics and especially to "political correctness" Oscar has become a Joke.

One good thing this year, Michael Moore wasn't waddling around anywhere...

There wasn't many Neo Cons in that crowd.....:singing:

5. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -10

Star Wars, Jaws, Private Ryan and for me Godfather, Lonesome Dove, I bought my first large screen TV a couple of years ago and the first movie I watched on it was Private Ryan, I had a boyhood friend who belonged to that same outfit he was killed a month or so after the Invasion, my oldest son was in France sometime ago and he visited my friends grave in the Brittany American Cemetery St. James, France.
    I am sure that someday I will see UP my grandchildren are always bringing movies with them when they visit, I have seen “Happy Feet” about ten times..

6. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

There were none.

So how do you explain that a sucky war movie won over a clearly better field of nominees? Do you think Hollywood hates soldiers or the Pentagon? I'm guessing the latter and depends on what you mean by "the military", doesn't it? My first thought was that "Hollywood" is trying to broaden its appeal. Either that, or I have no idea what a good movie is or isn't.

7. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

avatar wasn't that great.......not sure what the big deal was.....snazzy technology does not equate to a good movie

8. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I think last night might have been an "Old" guard protecting their bread and butter.

Cameron may have just created the blueprint of hiring ugly people who can act over expensive perfect looking actors.

If you can slap some CGI over anyone and have them still physically act the part with that kind of realism.

Last night might have simply been their attempt to hold off the replacement of actors in exchange for digital ones.

9. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Star wars is just a war movie, isn't it? It reminded me of and old WWII movie. I think they copied some of the footage of dogfights from some of them. Definitely put in some cowboy stuff, too, with the bad guy in the black hat and the good guy in white.

10. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Eh, your entitled to your opinion, I thought the story line, setting, and just about everything about it, was solid. It borrowed from an old tried and true story about the plight of the American Indians, and took you to a far off world that looked amazing.

When I watched avatar, I was interested the entire 3 hours, and at the end, it didn't even feel like it had been 3 hours... perfect sign of a great movie in my opinion, there was no lull that typically lives in every average movie.

Like Hurt Lockers sniper stand off scene... Do I seriously need to watch for 20 minutes guys starring at someone in the distance, and the difficulty og of washing a magazine off so it can be used.... it was boring, and a lul...

The entire time I was sitting there thinking... you have 4-5 people, there is 1-2 snipers... they can't take out a Humvee... get in the damn Humvee, with the big gun on top and assault the building... a) they weren't snipers, go against snipers... the smartest move would be to assult the building in a fast close range attack, at least do a drive by while lobbing grenades at te building...

11. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Zoe Saldana is UGLY?
    Really?
    [​IMG]

And she nailed Uhura:

[​IMG]

12. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I think you missed my point.

That in 10 years, why pay someone like that 10 million dollars, when you can hire non famous people who can act, and "make them hot" via advanced CGI.

Yes the Navi were aliens, but they were super well done. Now, can they make a human avatar for a good but non attractive actor that would cost them 100k rather than 10 million?

13. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

No I got your point.

I was just watching Zoe's back. MMmmmmmmmmm...Zooooo-eeee!

14. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -10

I don't know how that war movie won, I haven't seen it or read much about it, there were a few Iraq War Vets commenting on it they said it was full of sh!t for some reason or other the only reason I can think of for the Hollywood Peacenics to give a war movie an Oscar is that there are probably a lot of Anti Bush Anti American messages in it (but of course I have a Neo Con mindset)

This is a Comment in one of the papers today (I'm wondering how Meryl Streep and Helen Mirren can sit there with a straight face while they proclaim Sandra Bullock "Best Actress". Laughable)

I like Sandra Bullock, but?

15. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I thought the same thing. Even that teenager was better (I watch lots of movies). I like Bullock, too but...

I was looking at Streep and I was remembering her great debut in Deer Hunter. She really hit the ground running, huh? Mirren, too. She's in her 60's and still pretty hot, dontcha think?

16. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Nope... not at all.

17. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

That was for Harry.

18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -10

Mirren, you bet, she's "jail bait" for me lol, I think she's a great actor, people in my family have seen Avatar and they loved it, I don't go to the movie houses much now but I am told that Avatar should be seen in the theatre so I will probably go, I love good movies.......Deer Hunter was great, the Scene of them all in the barroom singing and at the wedding reminded me of my old crowd in Cambridge, lots of good times.

19. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I can't compare Avatar to Hurt Locker since I have not seen the latter, but I will never subscribe to the idea that a movie which does well at the box office must be better than a movie that does poorly. According to that logic, Transformers 2 was the second best movie of 2009 and I'm sorry, but that movie sucked. I don't care how many people saw it.

20. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Like any award that gets voted on, sometimes the voters factor in whether or not a person has won it yet plus it will go to someone based more on their lifetime achievement than for the specific role they actually won it for.