Welcome to PatsFans.com

Oregon Puts Obama Over The Top

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, May 20, 2008.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,031 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Like I've been saying all along ... Barack ... Barack ... Barack ... :p

Seriously ... nice to see this election go national now so the nation can and hopefully will discuss our most pressing problems.
  2. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +63 / 14 / -9

I did not know the race is over !

Hillary can still win the popular vote.
    How could the superdelagates support Obama if Hillary wins the popular vote?

Is it possible for a superdelate to change his support from Obama to
    Clinton if she wins the popular vote?

I thought the democrats only cared about the popular vote.
  3. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Obama does not yet have enough delegates to be the nominee, this is premature. The argument he's making is that he has a majority of the pledged delegates, not that he's gotten to the magic number of 2026. There should be enough "undecided" superdelegates that will come out for him though to give him that number just after the last primary, June 3rd.
  4. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Maybe because Obama's name wasn't even on the ballot on Florida or Michigan. If it was it wouldn't even be close. This thing has been over for a while now.

Not to mention that Hillary's numbers are inflated by "Operation chaos." Don't let the facts get in the way of your right wing bullshit though.
    Last edited: May 21, 2008
  5. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +63 / 14 / -9

What about the popular vote?
    I think Hillary should stay the course !
    Why are you calling it right wing BS ?
    I bet you cried about the popular vote in 2000.
  6. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

It probably still would be close, Hillary was very strong in Florida both from the latino vote and all the NY transplants there, and would have been strong in Michigan too as she was in Ohio and Penn.

Also for all of Rush's bluster operation chaos had little effect on the outcome of any of the primaries, and really zero effect on the delegate count. Don't let THOSE facts get in the way of a good rant though!

It is over though, and it really has been for a few months. Sure is fun to watch Hillary scratch and claw her way to the end though.
  7. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +63 / 14 / -9

Sure it is over.... but what about the popular vote?

If Hillary hangs around and hurts Obama, she could run again
    in 2012 if he loses to McCain.
  8. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Did you misread my post or what? If Obama had been on the ballot in Michigan and Florida, and Rush hadn't messed the dem primaries, Obama would have the popular vote easy.

You probably already know this though.....
  9. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Hillary would have been strong in Florida and Michigan and still lost the popular vote. Really no getting around it.

Now you're switching arguments. He may have had "zero" effect on the delegate count, but Limbaugh affected the popular vote and there's no denying it, and that's what we're talking about.

The fact that despite Rush and Michigan and Florida, Obama is still poised to win, says all it needs to.
  10. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +63 / 14 / -9

Have all 50 states had their election?
    Funny how Obama got on the ballot in Guam and Puerto Rico but he
    forgot to get on the ballot in Florida and Michigan.

Then again... he has been to all 57 states.
  11. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Can you teach me?

[​IMG]
  12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +506 / 6 / -2

How can you say that? His name was on the ballot in lots of other states where he lost convincingly. Don't get me wrong, I think it's difficult to include the totals from those two states where there wasn't a legitimate election, but it's incorrect to assume that the election would be over if they had been legitimately conducted. He clearly would have lost Florida, and most certainly Michigan too. I think it's fairly logical to say that those two elections cost Hillary in the long run. If those two states had legit elections, and Hillary won both, would Obama be in the position he is right now? Possibly not.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +506 / 6 / -2

I honestly have to say that I find the Dems here to be hypocrites. In 200 they whined about the popular vote, & voter "disenfranchisement", yet here they are downplaying what the popular vote would mean, and whizzing on two states full of voters. That's on top of the fact that they're nomination process completely ignores indivdual voters, and instead empowers a delegate system, where an individual person can override the voices of the many. It's a truly bizarre system. People selling their delegates for favors, while the will of the people is ignored. It really does fit the party's elected officials I guess. You know, the "we know better than you do" platform.
  14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

My old friend Pant Suit Hillary is driving them nuts, they will have to drag her and Bill out kicking and screaming, the Obama Groupie Slobbering Scum stabbed her in the back all in the name of "Pandering Racist Political Correctness" and Pant Suit is using the only weapon she has now "She Is Staying In" and making them look like the traitors they are, many, many of Hillary's true friends will now go Mccain just to get back at the "Disloyal Rats" that once publicly claimed their love for her.

Racist Bastards.
  15. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

Primary contests are extremely imperfect. You have caucus states that tend to make it more difficult for the elderly and weekend workers to vote; you have open primaries that allow non-Democrats to vote; and you have Democrat-only primaries that truly capture what Democrats are thinking in a given state. The problem for the Dems is that they had two very strong candidates, so their primaries have exposed all the inconsistencies.

Winning the popular vote does not mean anything when you consider that in many states there was no popular vote, and caucuses only attract a small number of voters. In the end, the numbers game only matters in terms of who has enough delegates to get the nomination. And, it this point, Obama has a pretty insurmountable lead. But, given that the primaries provide a terribly imprecise measure of who the Democrats want as their candidate, it's not unreasonable that Clinton keeps on running.
  16. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Wait, I was talking about the fact that Obama does NOT have enough delegates right now to officially be the nominee, that's why its incorrect to say "Oregon puts Obama over the top." That's what I was talking about. If you want to say its over because Hillary can't catch him, its essentially been over since Super Tuesday, and really over since Ohio and Texas. He's still not at 2026 delegates though.
  17. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 8 / -13

BHO was on the ballot in 1 of Mich and FL can'r recall which. certainly BHO is staggering to the finish line.
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +506 / 6 / -2

He was on in Florida, off in Michigan.
  19. Turk

Turk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Obama was on the ballot in FL.
    It was only MI where it was not.