PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Options narrow as Chargers rule out tagging Brees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Brees and Phillips are my two QB on my fantasy team so one of them had better be a starter next year . . . it seems highly likely one will start for the Chargers.

The Chargers have said all along money in keeping both Brees and Rivers was not an issue. They have cap room. What this tells me is they have serious concerns about his ability to return effectively in 2006. And that, along with how long it took Drew to come into himself in the SD offense, should give any other takers pause.

MoLewisrocks said:
The Chargers have said all along money in keeping both Brees and Rivers was not an issue. They have cap room. What this tells me is they have serious concerns about his ability to return effectively in 2006. And that, along with how long it took Drew to come into himself in the SD offense, should give any other takers pause.

Or it just means when they said they had the $ to keep both and weren't concerned about paying 2 guys #1 QB $ they were lying.

Last edited:
jeffd said:
Kind of scary if he hits the open market. The Dolphins with Brees are a serious threat!

You got that right and the Dolphins have Chris Chambers and he has been playing pretty good without a good quarterback plus they have Randy McMicheal as well.

broadwayjoe said:
You got that right and the Dolphins have Chris Chambers and he has been playing pretty good without a good quarterback plus they have Randy McMicheal as well.

What's Brees' physical condition these days--in terms of his rehab and expectations for 2006?

Flying Fungi said:
What's Brees' physical condition these days--in terms of his rehab and expectations for 2006?
He's expected to be fine but not throwing at 100% until sometime in camp. Although some compare it to Pennington, Brees didn't tear his rotator cuff like Pennington, it's not nearly as serious. A torn labrum isn't a good thing but other QBs have had it with no long term issues.

BelichickFan said:
He's expected to be fine but not throwing at 100% until sometime in camp. Although some compare it to Pennington, Brees didn't tear his rotator cuff like Pennington, it's not nearly as serious. A torn labrum isn't a good thing but other QBs have had it with no long term issues.

Thanks--also, Pennington was a noodle-arm before his injury--he just traded down from fettucine to linguine.

I like Brees, and was happy to see how he responded to criticism the last 2 seasons.

Flying Fungi said:
Thanks--also, Pennington was a noodle-arm before his injury--he just traded down from fettucine to linguine.

I like Brees, and was happy to see how he responded to criticism the last 2 seasons.

Yes I can see the negotiations with old Chad getting pretty rough.

jeffd said:
Kind of scary if he hits the open market. The Dolphins with Brees are a serious threat!

At this point, I think the Fins are in the best position to get him. They have no long-term investment in a young QB, their current starting QB is a journeyman who is getting the job done, though he'll hit the bench as soon as Brees is ready with little to no controversy. They have the luxury of not having to force Brees into the lineup too w/ Frerotte playing.

If Saban gets Brees, Miami will be a serious contender in 2006.

I don't see how SD can just let this guy go. His arm injury isn't supposed to be career, or even 2006, threatening. Good QB are just worth too much. And the Chargers are competitive, if Phillips flops this could wreck the franchise.

BelichickFan said:
I don't see how SD can just let this guy go. His arm injury isn't supposed to be career, or even 2006, threatening. Good QB are just worth too much. And the Chargers are competitive, if Phillips flops this could wreck the franchise.

I agree I just don't understand this kind of thinking but hey someone will
be smiling if they get Drew Brees and San Diego will be sick if Phillip flops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes