PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Optimistic Report on Dobson

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an interesting time for Dobson. We have mini-tron and a glut of ok receivers that are battling to be the #3/4 weapons behind Gronk and Mini-tron. We're looking at a guy who can be a great route runner get 60+ catches for 800+ yards. There is a lot of competition for these two roles. If he's out and Lafell/Amendola impresses he could be the odd-man out. This is our most interesting battle in TC.

..... This is our most interesting battle in TC.

Also, the LB's after the top 3 is quite undecided. I wouldn't bet on any of the options making the cut.
LB depth is potentially a major weakness for the PATS. If one of the top three gets injured
who will step in and how much of a drop in talent would it be?

Also, the LB's after the top 3 is quite undecided. I wouldn't bet on any of the options making the cut.
LB depth is potentially a major weakness for the PATS. If one of the top three gets injured

I like our LB corps a lot if they are healthy with Mayo/Collins/Ninko/Hightower, but you are right about depth and inuries are a concern for us.

James Anderson has experience stepping in and starting after top LB's go down, so he's the first choice here in the early going. Assuming he's as expected, he's good enough for me. Let's be honest, if you lose two starting linebackers, there are no teams that would be happy with who they trot out there. The best you can hope for is a guy like Anderson, unless you get lucky with a draft pick. If you add Ninkovich as a potential emergency LB, that's five quality guys you could put out there on a defense that is probably going to use an average of 2.5 per snap.

This is an interesting time for Dobson. We have mini-tron and a glut of ok receivers that are battling to be the #3/4 weapons behind Gronk and Mini-tron. We're looking at a guy who can be a great route runner get 60+ catches for 800+ yards. There is a lot of competition for these two roles. If he's out and Lafell/Amendola impresses he could be the odd-man out. This is our most interesting battle in TC.

Eh. Dobson is a lock. Right before he got hurt last year, he embarrassed some DBs. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do this year. My prediction is Dobson, Thompkins, LaFell, Amendola, Edlemann and Slater. Gallon redshirts on the PS.

I agree he's a lock. Ran into him yesterday and not only is he one of the nicest guys I ever met. he's a big dude and he looks to be in great shape.

Attachments

• Aaron Dobson and me.JPG
    Aaron Dobson and me.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 30
I agree he's a lock. Ran into him yesterday and not only is he one of the nicest guys I ever met. he's a big dude and he looks to be in great shape.

Where did you see him?

Eh. Dobson is a lock. Right before he got hurt last year, he embarrassed some DBs. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do this year. My prediction is Dobson, Thompkins, LaFell, Amendola, Edlemann and Slater. Gallon redshirts on the PS.

yes he's a lock, I'm just wondering what his role will be. Gronk as option 1, Edelman slot/flex will be TBs safety net.

In 2 WR sets - who is out there with Edelman and Amendola/Lafell/Dobson (who wins out)
In 3 WR sets - Edelman and Amendola/Lafell/Dobson (who wins out)

Can Dobson be a 60/800 player next year. Does he surpass Amendola?

I'd feel pretty comfortable betting on James Anderson to stick. He's a very good backup, and an adequate starter if called upon to be one. Definitely the kind of guy who makes the unit as a whole much stronger, and gives you some flexibility in the event of injury.

Beyond him, though, the cupboard is awfully bare.

He w
If you'd have asked me a few weeks ago, I'd have told you that I had Thompkins' chances of making the team at about 40%. After a good offseason program at OTAs/minicamp and the fact that he can play both the X and Z positions, I'd peg his chances at about 70-75%. I believe that Dobson's injury improves his odds as well.

I'm still not nearly as optimistic as you are though. He completely disappeared after the 6th game or so, having a grand total of 11 catches in the Pats last 12 games, and the high majority of those catches were in the DEN game to boot. In all reality, he completely disappeared for the last 2/3rds of the season, from mid-October through mid-January. That's 3 long months of absolutely nothing.

I would expect that if Dobson is healthy, he, Edelman and Amendola will be the top 3 WRs. Brandon LaFell and Thompkins could compete for the WR4 role, but I still think that Thompkins has a lot of work to do.

I'll just state the obvious and note that he was an undrafted rookie last year. There's a good chance he improves.

Kenbrells struggles were more scheme than talent being a rookie who never played in a sophisticated offense. The guy explodes off line and he cuts on a dime with impressive burst and fluidity. He makes very nice adjustments to the football and he Highpoints very well. I really like Kenbrell Thompkins. Reminds of a young chad Johnson. He ran consistent low 4.4 40 times at tryouts transferring from Jr college. Every school in the sec recruited him then and he had only been playing football 3 total years. He was terribly misused in a terrible offense at Cincinnati. I like the idea of him and Dobson starting at z and X. They give us some speed/firepower we haven't had. Throw in Gronk ,Vereen and Boyce occasionally in the slot and we can finally put defenses on their heels and strike some fear in them. Every player in that formation is a threat to score on any play.

I'm more concerned about Dobson's hands than his foot.

I'll write it off as rookie jitters, but if Dobson held on to a lot of passes that were dropped last year, he would've had a monster rookie season.

I'll just state the obvious and note that he was an undrafted rookie last year. There's a good chance he improves.

Great point, shmessy. Year two can often be a major stepping stone. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

That said, I am not as personally as high on Thompkins as some other posters on the board--although I'd love to be quite wrong. I am much more open to optimistic opinions such as yours vs. some of these fantastical opinions about his "great rookie year," "burning speed," and awesome talent. That's where I tend to disagree.

Last edited:
He actually has pretty good hands... I think it was mostly rookie jitters and being unsure of himself. He definitely grew into his role and looked like a stud before he got injured.

That being said am I the only one who thinks his hands look crazy disproportionate to his body? Like really small!

Kenbrells struggles were more scheme than talent being a rookie who never played in a sophisticated offense. The guy explodes off line and he cuts on a dime with impressive burst and fluidity. He makes very nice adjustments to the football and he Highpoints very well. I really like Kenbrell Thompkins. Reminds of a young chad Johnson. He ran consistent low 4.4 40 times at tryouts transferring from Jr college. Every school in the sec recruited him then and he had only been playing football 3 total years. He was terribly misused in a terrible offense at Cincinnati. I like the idea of him and Dobson starting at z and X. They give us some speed/firepower we haven't had. Throw in Gronk ,Vereen and Boyce occasionally in the slot and we can finally put defenses on their heels and strike some fear in them. Every player in that formation is a threat to score on any play.

Couple of things here....first off, you've forgotton any mention of our 2 highest paid and possibly most talented WRs in Edelman and Amendola. That aspect right there leads one to believe that Kenbrell Thompkins will not be "starting" too often, barring major injury. He's fighting for the WR4 spot at best behind Dobson, Amendola, and Edelman--and he's battling for that WR4 spot with a guy who has much more NFL experience and has shown improvement in his first 3 yrs = our free agency signing of Brandon LaFell. There's a decent chance that Kenbrell Thompkins ends up as our WR5 for the 2014 season, and even that is dependent on the development of Josh Boyce (who actually is fast ;) ). That's a long way off from your depiction of starting in the X/Z spot alongside Aaron Dobson.

Second of all, I know we've been down this road before, but I'm not sure that I agree on this "consistent" 4.4 burning speed that you keep bringing up. He ran a 4.54 at his combine appearance, and even if that was a slow day as you believe, it's much different than a "consistent" 4.4.

As Shmessy as others have pointed out, it's quite possible that we can see an upgrade in year two, but his opportunities may be much more limited than you are initially believing. All we can hope for is the best, and that will lead to an improved WR group no matter who is playing.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/2/25/4029272/nfl-combine-results-2013-wr-40-yard-dash-bench

Last edited:
Chad Johnson ran a 4.58 at the combine but we know he was faster than that. KT's own cousin ran an average 40 time but plays faster. Like chad Johnson said how can a team put so much stock in one day of a pair of 40 times. I wouldn't call 4.4 blazing although it is fast. Players capable of a low 4.3 have run in the 4.5s on particular days. It happens,its not a big difference. I think thompkins was a 4.46and 4.58 that day. His play speed is more like the 4.46 I would say. Jeremy Maclin ran a 4.48 but plays much faster and has run in the low 4.3 range many times. Sherman ran a 4.58 and 4.61 but plays much faster and has run faster. Paul Richardson my favorite WR in the draft ran a 4.4 but plays faster and has run sub 4.3 before. Bottom Line Kenbrell plays fast enough to get a lot of separation and he is working harder than any WR right now to get faster and more flexible/fluid by preseason games. He will break out this year as a dynamic threat.

Last edited:

I live in the area he was born and raised. everyone that grew up with him says he was a good kid and is still extremely nice even after getting a lot of attention at Marshall. Moss is from around here too. Reviews aren't so glowing, but I still love the guy.

I plan on buying two jerseys this year. I like to do one defense and one offense. Collins and Dobson. I usually don't risk the money with young players, but I have a lot of faith in both of them to be star players.

LaFell wouldn't be the first veteran WR we have signed and later cut before the season. If Thompkins, Dobson, and Boyce ALL show they have make great leaps forward, he could be the odd man out. If one or more don't or there is an injury, we will all be very glad we signed him.

Its going to be a interesting TC, and the WR's group is one of the biggest reasons

Understanding that this is just an opinion, I highly doubt that Brandon LaFell is cut in training camp for any reason whatsoever.

I don't see any relationship to any of the extremely cheap and fodder-like options that we've brought in to compete in past years to Brandon LaFell's situation this year.

Bottom Line Kenbrell plays fast enough to get a lot of separation and he is working harder than any WR right now to get faster and more flexible/fluid by preseason games. He will break out this year as a dynamic threat.

I realize that you're very high on Kenbrell Thompkins judging by many of your comments, so I definitely hope that you're right. My biggest concern would be the amount of "locks" and obvious talent/expected starters in front of him, so that is why I'm having a hard time seeing him as breaking out in a dynamic fashion with a big year. I just don't see him getting nearly as many looks and reps as you seem to be suggesting--barring some injuries. That said, with a guy like Dobson on the mend, that may be Thompkins' biggest opportunity to see the field, so who knows?

One small thing I disagree with though is the thought that he is "working harder than any other WR right now to get faster and more flexible/fluid by preseason games." I think that may be wishful thinking on your part, as one would assume that ALL of the Patriot receivers are working very hard to improve in every way humanly possible. I am sure that it will be a tough competition no matter what, but I'm guessing that they end up keeping 7 WRs including Slater : (Dobson, Edelman, Amendola, LaFell, Boyce, Thompkins).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back