OPPOSING VIEWS: Stafford Proved He's Going to Be An Elite Quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
OPPOSING VIEWS: Stafford Proved He's Going to Be An Elite Quarterback
By: Ian Logue

While going through and gathering up this morning's Patriots links, here are some links out of Detroit - and they're flying high from last night's win....

He's yet to stay healthy never mind win 10 games in his career. Elite? Tom Brady won a superbowl in 2001 and wasn't considered elite until 2003.

Atleast you can say Sam Bradford has an entire season's resume to start making predictions. Stafford beat the Patriots soundly in a preseason game is what we can put on Staffords resume.

Give it more time people.

He's yet to stay healthy never mind win 10 games in his career. Elite? Tom Brady won a superbowl in 2001 and wasn't considered elite until 2003.

Atleast you can say Sam Bradford has an entire season's resume to start making predictions. Stafford beat the Patriots soundly in a preseason game is what we can put on Staffords resume.

Give it more time people.
Agreed. Even Rex grossman had a great game every once in a while. And how about preseason super star bam childress? Havin said that he did look good though. Health is a lot of his problem.

That's absurd! He looks like he has all the tools to a good QB, but let's save the "elite" status for the likes of Brady, Manning, Brees, Rivers, and Rodgers for now. You can tell Lions fans are starved for any thing that revives their doormat franchise. I think the Lions are on the right path, but they might want to put the kool-aid down for a while and simply enjoy their team's performance against a woeful performance from the Pats and also subtly remind them that the preseason means nothing.

Well, if it makes us feel better about the Pats defense, sure Stafford's going to be an elite quarterback!

I'm beginning to wonder if the phrase "elite quarterback" means anything anymore. Then again, everyone here was quick to anoint Hoyer and Mallett as top 4 QBs in the AFCE, so, eh...

I don't think you can be elite until you've actually accomplished something. did stafford make some good throws last night andthread the neeedle on a few. Sure did. But, he needs to be able to do that a bit more consitently before he can be considered elite.

Also, you'dthink if any fan base would have learned the pre-season isn't the same as regular season, it would be the detriot lions.

Elite quarterbacks do not spend large blocks of time and a substantial percentage of their career watching from the sidelines while nursing injuries.

He has certainly flashed brilliance at times, but in total he has played 13 of 32 games with a 54.5% completion percentage and a 67 QB rating. Winning a preseason game does not undo his prior regular season performance.

It is hard to hate the Lions with a streak of bad news lasting decades in a city that really needs something to celebrate right now, but his career to date suggests otherwise - that he is just waiting for his next injury and cannot stay on the field to find the continuity great QBs need to become elite. I would like to see him play a full season to display if he can consistently play well, but I would be surprised to see that happen.

i think staffords a good player, but doing what he did to the patriots isnt all that new. look at what matt flynn did to us

Well I guess we now know whats seeds the propensity for people to over react here...ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes