PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Opinions: Should the NFL change the kickoff spot back to the 30?

TinhWoodhead

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Should they move the kickoff back 5yds to where it was before? Seems like most of the kickoffs are unreturnable. What are your thoughts, agree or disagree?

Should they move the kickoff back 5yds to where it was before? Seems like most of the kickoffs are unreturnable. What are your thoughts, agree or disagree?

Since the reason for the move was to lessen the amount of kickoffs, they probably will not change it back.

Since the reason for the move was to lessen the amount of kickoffs, they probably will not change it back.

Exactly. I was actually a fan of Westhoff's idea, which was posted here a few months back.

I think more kick returns adds excitement to the game. They don't want that?

They moved the kickoff up to reduce the number of returns in order to reduce concussions. They've even removed the kickoff from the Pro Bowl. The NFL does not want kickoff returns in the game.

No, the league office just didn't want concussions. That's the reason why the kickoff spot was moved forward and DB's became even more neutered with regard to where they could hit receivers. Even then, there's still a high frequency of concussions in the NFL, which means that their changes to the rules have failed.

They moved the kickoff up to reduce the number of returns in order to reduce concussions. They've even removed the kickoff from the Pro Bowl. The NFL does not want kickoff returns in the game.

As a result there's been less concussions recently :rolleyes:

This is actually incorrect. The reason for moving it was not to lessen the amount of kick-offs. The reason was to lessen the number of injuries on kick-off returns. That being said, I've yet to see anyone actually provide legitimate information that more injuries occurred on kick-offs than on other plays.

You want more excitement in the game?

How's about they eliminate the PAT and instead require teams to attempt a 2-point conversion after touchdown.

Also, on the kickoff, if the kicker can place the ball through the opposing team's uprights, from the normal kickoff spot, then the kickoff team is awarded an additional point, and gets to rekick.

Then, you could also eliminate touchbacks, unless the ball physically travels out of the back or sides of the end zone, unaided by a player. ALL kickoffs must be returned, unless as stated the ball travels, unaided, outside the end zone.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back