PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OPINION: Wes Welker for Ocho Cinco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wes Welker for Ocho Cinco

I actually would do it, myself. I love Welker, but it's easier to find someone who does what he does than someone who does what Chad does. Even if it means giving Troy Brown significant playing time for one more year.

Really? Its easier to find a slot receiver like Welker ( I can think of only 2 in recent history - Troy Brown and Wayne Chrebet). Who are all these other great slot receivers who tear up the middle of defenses and draw double coverage there?

You guys are incredible. Do you honestly think there is ONE GENERAL MANAGER in this league who considers Wes Welker to be a better overall receiver than Chad Johnson? I mean for cris sakes Tom Brady made David Givens and Deion Branch look like superstars in super bowls. Wes Welker had the advantage of playing with Tom Brady and having the defense double cover Moss on every down. Can we get serious people? Good lord. The homerism on this site is out of control. I love Wes but let's not compare him to one of the top 5 receivers in the entire NFL.

And the idiocy you present knows no bounds.

Wes Welker is a better SLOT receiver than Chad Johnson. Welker is probably the best SLOT receiver in the league. He wasn't being used properly by the Chargers or the Dolphins. Teams have to account for Welker on every play as much as they do with Randy. In fact, we beat teams even though they took Moss out of the equation. One of the problems with the offense last year (if you can say it was a problem) was that Stallworth wasn't that effective on the other side. Its going to be interesting to see who steps up to play opposite Moss. If Chad Jackson comes out of training camp like gang busters, running the right routes and getting open, the Pats could see their offense do even BETTER than last year.

Feeling is this:

With Ocho and Moss stretching the defensive secondary, a mediocre WR can get it done underneath, thus making Wes Welker expendable.

Go back and watch the SuperBowl. Then come talk to us.

Agree. Someone would have to be braindead to pass up Wes for Chad. Much easier to replace Wes than to pick up a Chad type of player. The Pats would terrorize the NFL with Chad and Randy on the outside.

No, they wouldn't. And your comments shows why you are just as clueless as NSA. There have been plenty of people who have posted the fallacies of this trade on here. You can believe whatever you want. But most intelligent people know that because of the salary cap, talent differences and attitude differences, this would be a horrible trade.

PFW in Progress talked about this thread today.

They go on for awhile talking about it, but here's the transcript:

http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=radio

25:30 mark:

Andy Hart (Assistant Editor): Fred, I gotta ask you a question. PatsFans.com, they know we read them, they love it when we talk about them. They had a little poll/opinion/they do something - Wes Welker for Chad Johnson straight up - would you do it?

Fred Kirsch (Editor-in-Chief): Yes.

AH: OK. Chris Ferreira upstairs, our webmaster, the famous Chris Ferreira: No. Wouldn't even consider it. No.

Tom Casale (Staff Writer): I didn't read that - did anybody say no?

AH: I don't know, I didn't read it.

FK: See, I think you can get another slot receiver that may not be as good as Wes Welker.

Paul Perillo (Editor): The first 10 [posts] that I read all said they wouldn't do it.

TC: Wow.

AH: God.

PP: And this isn't taking salaries into consideration. This is just straight-up which player would you rather have.

I know that I'm supposed to feel stupid for wanting Wes Welker over Chad Johnson, even ignoring salary implications, but I don't.

Wes is just so ******* awesome. **** "future hof" boy.

figures people on the radio would discuss the DUMBEST THREAD THAT IVE EVER READ ON HERE.

Well, I listened for a little longer, and we've got more:

28:30 mark:

John from LA/Patsox23: ...I wanted to first say that PatsFans has been a good site for a long time, but the last few years it's been not as good. And I agree with Paul. It's such a ridiculous - you take Chad Johnson over Wes Welker in a heartbeat.

Tom Casale: So, John, I haven't been there in awhile because the last time I was there there was like 35 threads about Spygate.

Andy Hart: They have gone down.

John/Patsox23: Yeah, it's ridiculous. It's a bunch of newbies.

TC: They used to talk about football and stuff and it was interesting, but.

John/Patsox23: Yeah, it was really good. Like I've been on a few football sites, and PatsFans used to be phenomenal. Like it was a lot of really smart guys. But not so much anymore.

AH: So where do you go now? Do you have a new site that's better?

John/Patsox23: Uh, you know what's not bad? Is at SonsOfSamHorn.net, the Red Sox site, they have a Patriots thread. Pretty smart guys.

AH: Alright, maybe I'll have to check that out.

Paul Perillo: Well some of regulars, on our show here, they participate in a lot of those message boards. I know Ken from Canton, who writes into us, does all the time, Sean in Hamilton. A lot of those guys - I mean, I enjoy a lot of what they have to say when they're talking football. I don't like when it gets to be something like this where there's no objectivity at all. I like when they breakdown, something about the pass protection [unoriginal's breakdowns].

AH: Yeah.

PP: And I find some of that stuff very interesting. And sometimes I agree with it, sometimes I don't. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't check the stuff out every once in awhile.

John/Patsox23: Yeah, I posted something in the Adam Seward thread yesterday, and somebody - and I mentioned "Why are people acting like, if we did happen to get Adam Seward that would preclude the Patriots from getting someone like Clark Haggans or Victor Hobson" and somebody said "Because of the salary cap!"

AH: [Laugh]

PP: [Laughing] Adam Seward's gonna cost you $600k.

AH: If that.

John/Patsox23: Justin Miller... [conversation turns]

I know that I'm supposed to feel stupid for wanting Wes Welker over Chad Johnson, even ignoring salary implications, but I don't.

Wes is just so ******* awesome. **** "future hof" boy.

Same here. The Welker/Moss/Gaffney trio is already such a good fit. We really don't need Johnson. Just because he's a bigger name than Wes doesn't mean he'll be better for the Pats.

Yeah, Perrillo is one to talk...how do you go from chief contributor to Patriots Football Weekly with access to the whole team and the Krafts to a virtual persona non grata and non stop Patriot critic like he was this whole past season.I heard one EEI bit where SteveD'Os literally tore him a new one and called his "knowledge" of the game practically non existent...FWIW

and BTW the whole premise of this thread is ridiculous to start with...one's a split out and the other a slot receiver...apples and oranges

Last edited:

It is positively and totally IDIOTIC to say you'd rather have Welker than Chad Johnson. Good Lord. Get a grip, people.

Joker, Perillo's certainly on the right side of this argument. Chad Johnson is a stud #1 WR. Welker I LOVE, but Chad would be a big upgrade.

Last edited:
Joker, Perillo's certainly on the right side of this argument. Chad Johnson is a stud #1 WR. Welker I LOVE, but Chad would be a big upgrade.

If there were no salary cap, I'd definitely consider it. But, given the fact that there is a salary cap, well, no.

JC...we already HAVE a stud #1 receiver...bringing in another and replacing a Welker with Troy Brown would weaken the offense IMO...who else plays the slot?...or do you just heave it up long every passing play? Of course there wouldn't be any friction between Randy and Chad, is that what you're saying.

I'm building a team and Chad Johnson and Wes Welker are there to choose from...I take Chad Johnson.

On a team with Randy Moss and Wes Welker , I keep Welker in position and live without Chad Johnson.

Joker, I realize that, but you're nuts if you think this offense wouldn't be amazing with Chad and Moss on the same team. I understand balance, I understand enough-balls-to-go-around - I just think Belichick could probably find a way to make it work, scheme-wise. And I'm not a Welker hater. But the idea that we wouldn't trade him for CHAD JOHNSON - that ANY GM wouldn't make that deal - is ridiculous.

That said, I'm MORE than happy with Moss-Welker - that's an awesome combination. Moss opens up the field for Welker, and Welker makes plays.

Last edited:
yeah...maybe my comfort level with the status quo has jaundiced my judgement a bit...valid point...I know I could live with a Moss/Johnson tandem

These PFW people, do they run a Fantasy Football League? I haven't listened to them since the two times a couple of years ago, so did they stop to consider the marvelous lockerroom chemistry that a Moss/Johnson pairing would bring?

Throw in T.O. while they're at it so Dan Snyder can have an orgasm.

Wait...if Welker leaves, does that mean we won't have any more great mattress commercials?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back