PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OPINION: Wes Welker for Ocho Cinco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wes Welker for Ocho Cinco

this is the worst trade I've ever seen. Wes is a team guy. Chad is not.

I would not trade Wes for any other receiver. No one!!!

IMO he's the best wr in the league for the Pats.

simply put NO!!!!!!!!

Hell no.

Welker and Moss complement each other perfectly. Why mess with a good system? Someone tries to shut down Moss, Welker benefits. See the game vs. Eagles. Someone tries to shut down Welker, Moss benefits. See the record-breaking touchdown in the Giants game week 17. It works pretty good, IMO.

Besides, I would much rather see the FO spend the money shoring up the defense and maybe adding some depth on the offensive line.

No, and neither would they, I don't think. He's more valuable in the slot to us with Moss than Chad would be as a deep threat with Moss.

Bingo. Cincinnati would laugh it off.

Johnson may be a more talented receiver, but he isn't half the football player that Welker is.

Give Wes his props. He tied the lead with 112 receptions and had equal TD's as Ocho Cinco. Dont get me wrong, I like #85 and wish he was a Patriot but I would not make that trade. Troy Brown was a diamond in the ruff and I believe (Even the NFL) that Wes is the same find.

Ask yourself this question: Does Wes Welker, with his quiet, workmanlike ways fit in with Cincy and its brash, law breaking, trash talking locker room scene?

In a heartbeat although it would never happen. I mean good lord. Chad Johnson is a much better receiver than Wes Welker. It's far easier to find slot receivers than game breaking studs like Johnson. It just amazes me how many fans fall in love with guys and don't think rationally. Chad Johnson for Wes Welker is a no brainer.

Chad Johnson is a better talent than Welker, but Welker also comes significantly cheaper.

I think it is irrational for fans to think a team would take a 20 million cap hit for just two receivers and be able to sign other key players.

In the NFL there is something called a salary cap, it is not baseball where teams like the yankees can go out and get every superstar out there.

So the fans who NSA think are irrational, might actually be thinking this deal through more than he did.

Chad Johnson is a better talent than Welker, but Welker also comes significantly cheaper.

I think it is irrational for fans to think a team would take a 20 million cap hit for just two receivers and be able to sign other key players.

In the NFL there is something called a salary cap, it is not baseball where teams like the yankees can go out and get every superstar out there.

So the fans who NSA think are irrational, might actually be thinking this deal through more than he did.
NSA seems like someone who has little knowledge of what is going on...BIG TITLE...but teh no brainer is that this is teh dumbest thread I ahve seennnOK teh one about ChadJ for picks is giving it a run for the worst.

Nope, never, not a chance.

No.

Straight up trade...would you do it?

Nope, not in a million years. I don't care how talented 85 is. He's a punk, while Welker knows his place. And his place is not in front of the cameras wearing some damn oversized HoF jacket. His place is tearing it up on the field, Patriots-style.

In a heartbeat although it would never happen. I mean good lord. Chad Johnson is a much better receiver than Wes Welker. It's far easier to find slot receivers than game breaking studs like Johnson. It just amazes me how many fans fall in love with guys and don't think rationally. Chad Johnson for Wes Welker is a no brainer.
You aren't thinking deeply emough.

You are trying to field a team using a fantasy football approach, as though athletes were little database fields with their stats in appropriate fields.

This is how Dan Snyder selects players.

But other teams use a different approach, and it isn't as simple as "Johnson is faster than Welker and can make more acrobatic catches and therefore is a better choice." It is the Pioli approach: "We are not collecting talented players. We are building a team."

Johnson may or may not be a better fit than Welker, I don't know. But I do know that it is not a no brainer. It is fairly complicated.

And as far as your speed-burners-are-better-than-slot-receivers idea, remember that the Colts used a first round pick on a slot receiver.

Last edited:

The last time I looked, Wes was the leading slot receiver in the NFL. Slot receivers may be easier to find than game breakers, but finding someone who can put up Welker's numbers is not easy. The issue here is complementarity. Johnson does not complement Moss; Welker does.

Defense wins championships. Time and time again I have seen great offensive teams falter in the playoffs. It happen with the Rams, Vikings, and Colts and most recently with our Pats.

The simple fact is if you sign superstars on offense, it pretty much leaves you no cap space to strengthen the defense.

As i have said before the cap hit would probably be around 20 mill for both Ocho Cinco and Moss.

Good offenses can blow it in the Superbowl but so can good defenses. Last year the result was counter to your claim. A good offensive team (the Colts) beat a good defensive team (the Bears). In reality, the best teams are balanced, though offense or defense may not be exactly equal.

Here's the key:

You need to be thinking "Would you trade X, Y, and Z picks, because we have a crying need for a #1 receiver?" to be thinking ocho cinco.

That's what he is, a #1. He will get #1 money. He will want #1 treatment, attention, etc. He will not want to catch 50 balls, as Stallworth did not want to. He is not going to be the slot, so we take a downgrade there. And we take an upgrade at the #2 across from Moss, but that upgrade probably happens just by Moss being double and triple covered -- hence the lack of interest in keeping Stallworth.

Is Ocho Cinco going to play for five years for $15M? That's what we got Wes for, and he's structured to get every penny of it. The FO went in saying "we know what Wes Welker will bring to this team. We know he is a low risk proposition. We know that by accepting that low risk, we can receive in exchange an excellent role player for five years at $3M per."

In other words, Welker took security, a rare commodity in the NFL, and a modest but highly guaranteed payout.

Now: Tell me about the deal ocho cinco signs to provide what he brings, at $3M APY. Ain't gonna happen.

Tell me how he snags more than 50 or 60 catches, unless they are taken away from the two (roughly) 100-catch guys we have. Ain't gonna happen.

The Pats' receiving corps is what the military guys call a "target rich environment."

I will say this: As the last afternoon sunlight fades in Randy's illustrious career, I would not be surprised to see an early-30s Ocho Cinco at the door looking for a ring, especially assuming Brady outlasts Moss (which will indeed be the case if Moss' 3 year deal is the real "end".) Of course, Moss could have 6 more seasons left in him.

Ocho Cinco? It's a long time before that name or misspoken number is an issue, no matter how well he gets along with BB on the sidelines. It's not like we're trying out Bon Jovi at tight end either.

PFnV

Um lets see, a pretentious, self important, show off, or a solid, quiet, hard working stud with hands made out of that stuff they put on the back of a post-it note. No way! OCHO CINCO is Bostonian for I don't think so! GO PATS!:cool:

Welker is more valuable to BB's offense and not to mention he can punt return and maybe kick return , compared to 85 who is just a receiver.

IMO -- this is a stupid topic.

You are correct.

But then, Moss and Gaffney are signed, I am stressed, it is after work, and I need something to blather about. What's better than shooting fish in a barrel on a topic like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back