PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OPINION: Wes Welker for Ocho Cinco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wes Welker for Ocho Cinco

This is a pretty dumb question, considering it would never happen in a million years.

But no, I would not make that trade. Welker brings a very different skill set which is incredibly valuable to the way this offense is run.

No thanks. Chad is a better WR than Welker, but Welker is a better fit with Moss due to his short route dominance, far cheaper (compared to what Chad's will be once he gets his way and it's redone) contract and the fact that he doesn't have the ego Ocho Cinco does.

Last edited:

No, I wouldn't make the trade simply because of this thing called a Salary Cap. Even if you could convince me that Johnson and Moss would co-exist and team chemistry would not be a problem, the trade still doesn't make sense. The improvement in the offense with Johnson rather than Welker would be minimal. The negative impact on other positions would be much greater due to the size of Johnson's contract compared to Welker's contract, and would result in the team being worse off with Johnson, not better.

You guys are incredible. Do you honestly think there is ONE GENERAL MANAGER in this league who considers Wes Welker to be a better overall receiver than Chad Johnson? I mean for cris sakes Tom Brady made David Givens and Deion Branch look like superstars in super bowls. Wes Welker had the advantage of playing with Tom Brady and having the defense double cover Moss on every down. Can we get serious people? Good lord. The homerism on this site is out of control. I love Wes but let's not compare him to one of the top 5 receivers in the entire NFL.

Based on 2007, Wes was one of the Top 5 receivers in the NFL. I'm not trying to argue for the sake of it, but Welker is special and that has nothing to do with Homerism.

Don't handicap his ability just because Tom throws to him.

Next Year Whoopy Cap Hit
Moss - 11
Chad - 11
Kelly And Co -3

24 Million For 1 Position What Are You Matt Millan

I don't even care about the numbers.

Wes Welker is a ******* Patriot. The guy is the very definition of intangible.

You'd want to trade him for a malcontent who drops as many important passes as he catches?

:rofl:

You don't think with Ocho and Moss on the corners that any average WR can get open?

Straight up trade...would you do it?

Talentwise, duh. But for this team, no. Why? Ocho Cinco wants Mucho Dineiro. We'd have to pay him at least as much as Moss, if not more. Which basically kills our cap, and our ability to sign any more free agents. Might even make it hard to sign our draftees. I think I'm quite satisfied with Moss and Welker, tyvm.

What I think is that you have a very simplistic view of football that doesn't necessarily mesh with reality.

In a heartbeat although it would never happen. I mean good lord. Chad Johnson is a much better receiver than Wes Welker. It's far easier to find slot receivers than game breaking studs like Johnson. It just amazes me how many fans fall in love with guys and don't think rationally. Chad Johnson for Wes Welker is a no brainer.

If I wasn't already thinking this was stupid, I'd thank you for posting this. Rule of thumb, whatever NSA says, do the opposite.

Clearly Ocho Cinco is a better talent than Welker, but talent is not the only thing that makes a good team, a team needs good chemistry also.

Another fair point is that he would be asking for Moss like salary and that means 20 mill cap hit for just two receivers.

10 mill cap hit they took for Moss is already more than BB and Pioli have spent on receivers ever.

This is a good question and illustrates a great point. Its not always about the talent, its about the best fit for your team.

Although Ocho is more talented, Welker is a much better fit for our team.

The truth is we SHOULD trade draft picks for Ocho Cinco.
I bet our 3rd,4th and 5th would do it.
How could any team stop that. (other than the offensive protection collapse we saw in the SB)
That trade or some variation would make everyone happy.
Ocho wants it. (bet he would sign a heavy performance laden contract)
Draft a blocking TE and an OL then pour everything else into Defense.
:eat1::eat3::eat2:

Defense wins championships. Time and time again I have seen great offensive teams falter in the playoffs. It happen with the Rams, Vikings, and Colts and most recently with our Pats.

The simple fact is if you sign superstars on offense, it pretty much leaves you no cap space to strengthen the defense.

As i have said before the cap hit would probably be around 20 mill for both Ocho Cinco and Moss.

I would trade Kyle Ekles for Adrian Peterson.

Feeling is this:

With Ocho and Moss stretching the defensive secondary, a mediocre WR can get it done underneath, thus making Wes Welker expendable.

NFW, Welker is better than ocho cinco meetwo in the Pats system

There happens to be a salary cap, and one ultra expensive receiver is quite enough, especially since our affordable slot guy complements our expensive #1 so perfectly. I'd rather spend limited funds on things besides extra star-power wide receivers.

so, no...

actually, more emphatically HELL NO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes