PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Opinion: Welker is in the plans for next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
No offense, and I'm not one putting up any kind of militant opinion on Welker's return line, but "history is clear" would have applied to Tate last season. "History" got that one wrong, at least in terms of the odds.
Players very rarely miss an entire season after an ACL tear especially in the last 10 years since the medical community got more experience with it. Tate made it back last year despite not being in a pro rehab regime for most of his rehab, he was just unfortunate to get hurt again but there's nothing to suggest it was related to the ACL. But I'm not going to keep arguing this, been there done that.

I hope he comes back, but it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't return at all next season. Ditto with Tate.

It's already been made pretty clear that Tate's injury wasn't that bad.

He was IR'ed as he was a rookie and Bill didn't see him as vital enough to keep a roster spot open for 6 weeks for the guy.

He'll be fit for Passing Camp. He'll be a spark for this offense. Just my Opinion.

Re: Welker is in the plans for next year

He is also a "huge" chance that injuries could be part of his resume for as long as he is a pro.....ask his teammate Crable

I heard that Billy specifically told Tate to NEVER speak to that guy Crable, threatening him with bodily violence if he disobeyed!

best Slot WR in the game....

just do not expect him back until midsection...

Tate is solid..... Edelman a fast slot project...

why this thread? Obviously Welker is in the plans and we must wait :(

Tate has a solid midsection? Good to know.

What's your diagnosis doc?

My non expert opinion is he had a lot of damage and plays a position where he needs quick cuts on every play.

What I've read for his type of injury for a "legs" position 2 full years for a complete recovery. Whether they will choose to throw him out there the first year I don't know, but i think the lack of plans is pretty much realistic.

No doc here but everything I read leads me to think that there is no reason he shouldnt return by the PUP window or earlier. I have no idea exactly how effective he will be but my main point is that he is a body at the WR position that will be taking up a roster spot and when you figure Moss, Edelman and Tate there really isnt much room left at the position yet people think we need to go out and get 5 wr like I saw in another thread.

No doc here but everything I read leads me to think that there is no reason he shouldnt return by the PUP window or earlier. I have no idea exactly how effective he will be but my main point is that he is a body at the WR position that will be taking up a roster spot and when you figure Moss, Edelman and Tate there really isnt much room left at the position yet people think we need to go out and get 5 wr like I saw in another thread.

They need to replace him. He'll be a short receiver whose whole game depends on quick cuts, who can't because the spring isn't back in hi legs. If he makes a full recovery, he has a chance to be the receiver he was.

They'll need to develop receivers for 2011 too.

Last edited:
I strongly suspect he will be brought back before he is ready and either get re-injured or play at 50% and in pain. It is what happened to Tate, Mayo, and Fred Taylor so I expect them to repeat the same idiotic, macho, suck-it-up, move again this season. I hope that they can draft a new Welker so they do not have to re-injure Welker; the best thing to happen to him would be IR so that the staff is not tempted to send him out too early. And shame on the Patriots for over using him in the first place.

And shame on the Patriots for over using him in the first place.
Yeah, damn those Patriots for playing a WR at WR in the first quarter of a game. Talk about overuse.

Christ.

There was no reason for our top starters to play at all. That was discussed here BEFORE the game.

They either should have played all game to try to win, or they should have not been playing at all.

Yeah, damn those Patriots for playing a WR at WR in the first quarter of a game. Talk about overuse.

Christ.

There was no reason for our top starters to play at all. That was discussed here BEFORE the game.
If you want to say he should have been out for that game in preparation for the playoffs, fine. But to declare it as overuse is absurd. It was the first quarter, look around the league and see how many starting WR on playoff teams sat out the first quarter. It didn't work out well but it sure as hell wasn't overuse.

Yes, As we discussed at the time, Welker and others should have been out in preperation for the playoffs.

Obviously Welker was not overused.

If you want to say he should have been out for that game in preparation for the playoffs, fine. But to declare it as overuse is absurd. It was the first quarter, look around the league and see how many starting WR on playoff teams sat out the first quarter. It didn't work out well but it sure as hell wasn't overuse.

Last edited:

Where do you get that Tate is solid? He's played like 10 snaps so far.

I agree, to think Tate is even close to be solid is a joke... People better get a grip this team has alot of questions..

And if Moss gets hurt?

You're in la-la land if you think what we have now is enough to sustain the entire season. Other than Moss, everyone we have is avg or a jag (excluding Welker of course).

Welker won't be back to his old self until next year. Going into the season without a legit 2nd option is insanity.

Last edited:

I agree, to think Tate is even close to be solid is a joke... People better get a grip this team has alot of questions..

Ageed. According to some of these "experts" the Pats are in great shape.

Ha-ha, the guy above is talking about how there is little to no room for another wr on the roster :rolleyes:

They either should have played all game to try to win, or they should have not been playing at all.

I disagree completely.

And if Moss gets hurt?

You're in la-la land if you think what we have now is enough to sustain the entire season. Other than Moss, everyone we have is avg or a jag (excluding Welker of course).

Welker won't be back to his old self until next year. Going into the season without a legit 2nd option is insanity.

The Colts were certainly in la-la land when they went into the season with Wayne, Gonzalez (3rd year), Garcon (2nd year with 4 total rec rookie year) and Collie (a rookie). And were absolutely screwed when Gonzalez got hurt in game 1.

The Patriots are set to go into the season with Moss, two 2nd-year players, Patten... at the very least, with Welker's return probable at SOME point. Maybe they'll make a trade, maybe they'll draft a guy, or maybe they are confident in Edelman and/or Tate as well as Welker's return.

Last edited:
The Colts were certainly in la-la land when they went into the season with Wayne, Gonzalez (3rd year), Garcon (2nd year with 4 total rec rookie year) and Collie (a rookie). And were absolutely screwed when Gonzalez got hurt in game 1.

The Patriots are set to go into the season with Moss, two 2nd-year players, Patten... at the very least, with Welker's return probable at SOME point. Maybe they'll make a trade, maybe they'll draft a guy, or maybe they are confident in Edelman and/or Tate as well as Welker's return.

I heard Crable has a great pair of hands :rolleyes:
Forgot all about Slater....another year of seasoning makes for a huge upgrade there
Big Mac commin back....yeah baby
Chung for induction to Canton...can't miss
Wheatly and Wilhite > Revis and Cromartie...F'n A
And last but not least...David Patten...our secret weapon in 2010.

I guess BB can take all of those draft picks and trade them out for 2012
We have no room for any rookies on this stacked Superbowl Bound Express

Ah but unlike the Patriots, the Colts are really great at drafting WRs, even in the later rounds...CBs also. Maybe the Patriots have figured how to draft WRs with Reese, but it seems crazy that they did not go after more offense in FA and draft for defense which has been a strength.

Christ.

Not just that game, but he was overused for most of the season in a predictable offense. The D starting to tee off on him...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back