PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Opinion: Welker is in the plans for next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

signbabybrady

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I think there is a large misrepresentation that Welker is not in the plans for next year. With what is known about the injury and medical science I think there is every reason to believe he will be playing next year so why does no one include him in the plans when you talk about the position?

We have four WR Welker, Moss, Edelman, Tate and we need to add depth as there is one spot to fill and likely another one (for the short term to start the season) and you don't know about Tate but it is not a blank slate we need to develope some things but we are not as dire as people would think

Re: Welker is in the plans for next year

best Slot WR in the game....

just do not expect him back until midsection...

Tate is solid..... Edelman a fast slot project...

why this thread? Obviously Welker is in the plans and we must wait :(

I hope he comes back, but it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't return at all next season. Ditto with Tate.

Where do you get that Tate is solid? He's played like 10 snaps so far.

I think there is a large misrepresentation that Welker is not in the plans for next year. With what is known about the injury and medical science I think there is every reason to believe he will be playing next year so why does no one include him in the plans when you talk about the position?

We have four WR Welker, Moss, Edelman, Tate and we need to add depth as there is one spot to fill and likely another one (for the short term to start the season) and you don't know about Tate but it is not a blank slate we need to develope some things but we are not as dire as people would think

He should be back next year. But there's a big difference between being back, and being back like he was. The latter may never happen, and certainly isn't likely to happen next season.

I'd surprised if Welker was back at all next year. His game is making sharp cuts which places a tremendous amount of torque on the knee, that coupled with the time when the injury happened (the last game of the season), he wont be back next year.

I hope he comes back, but it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't return at all next season. Ditto with Tate.
That's pretty much my thoughts as well. First of all Welker's injury occured very late in the season, making that much less time available for the injury to heal and for rehab. Secondly, that position (along with RB) probably requires the knee to be in near-perfect working order more than other positions due to the cuts being made, and the need to place weight and force laterally on the knee. The way I'm looking at it is any production at all from Welker is a bonus, but I think it would be a mistake to be counting on him to contribute this season.

We could put Welker on the PUP list, just in case, However, I don't expect to see Welker and Moss on the field together again. Even if he came back in 2010, it seems unlikely that his ability to cut will be anywhere near where it was or where it will be when he is more fully recovered for the 2011 season.

I expect Welker on the PUP until week 10 then to play after thanksgiving or maybe even ON Thanksgiving against the Lions.

Inform us of how you know Tate is solid....so far he has only been solid on the IR list

What's your diagnosis doc?

My non expert opinion is he had a lot of damage and plays a position where he needs quick cuts on every play.

What I've read for his type of injury for a "legs" position 2 full years for a complete recovery. Whether they will choose to throw him out there the first year I don't know, but i think the lack of plans is pretty much realistic.

I think the team is guessing that Welker would be back sometime next season....
If they didn't think he would return or have no chance to return don't you think they would have gone crazy for Boldin,Burleson or some of the other top receivers that are now gone or rely on an extremely Green Tate,Edelman and crap wastes like Aiken to hold down the fort?

Remember this team is not picking in the top 10, so any game changing receivers as rookies are a longshot at best,even if they went drafted later.

Why worry so much about something you can't control? Thankfully, Edelman looks like he's the same type of player as Welker, already has experience at the same position, in the same offense, with the same QB and same coach. We couldn't have a better player already on the roster to play the slot until when/if Welker comes back.

Seriously, this whole "Edelman can be the other wideout"/"I'm offended when people talk about Edelman as a Welker clone just because he's a quick little white guy" stuff is starting to annoy the hell out of me.

WR#2 (you know, the position Aiken played last year after Galloway was cut?): Right now the biggest question mark on the NE Patriots. Get over it.

Last edited:
History is clear about this. Barring a setback, Welker has about a 25% chance to be back by opening day and about a 75% chance to be back after being PUPed. If he has a serious setback then he may not be back next year but there's no reason to factor that in at this time.

As for Tate missing the season, that's just stupid. He will be almost 2 years off his ACL tear and had a minor knee cleanup since then. He should be fine for next year and will likely look faster and quicker than he did in his brief appearance this year.

Where do you get that Tate is solid? He's played like 10 snaps so far.
Obviously not as a proven NFL WR but I would take him right now over any WR in this draft other than Dez Bryant as he already knows the offense and has significant upside; plus this isn't a draft with any sure fire WR other than Bryant. He's not "solid" but he's a huge potential bonus "draft choice".

History is clear about this. Barring a setback, Welker has about a 25% chance to be back by opening day and about a 75% chance to be back after being PUPed. If he has a serious setback then he may not be back next year but there's no reason to factor that in at this time.

As for Tate missing the season, that's just stupid. He will be almost 2 years off his ACL tear and had a minor knee cleanup since then. He should be fine for next year and will likely look faster and quicker than he did in his brief appearance this year.

No offense, and I'm not one putting up any kind of militant opinion on Welker's return line, but "history is clear" would have applied to Tate last season. "History" got that one wrong, at least in terms of the odds.

Obviously not as a proven NFL WR but I would take him right now over any WR in this draft other than Dez Bryant as he already knows the offense and has significant upside; plus this isn't a draft with any sure fire WR other than Bryant. He's not "solid" but he's a huge potential bonus "draft choice".

He is also a "huge" chance that injuries could be part of his resume for as long as he is a pro.....ask his teammate Crable

Inform us of how you know Tate is solid....so far he has only been solid on the IR list

I like what I saw..... granted it was brief.

He has nice speed and was by far our best Kickoff Returner until the injury.

I have faith in the guy and most ppl right now think he is a bust or a questionable pick...???

I do not get it?

Last edited:

I like what I saw..... granted it was brief.

He has nice speed and was by far our best Kickoff Returner until the injury.

I have faith in the guy and most ppl right now think he is a bust or a questionable pick...???

I do not get it?

Well,lets see,he makes like 5 catches and gets IRed after the Pats took a chance on him after other teams passed on him becuase of his past injuries
prior to this one and you want others to have instant faith that he is a solid player with nothing to base it on?

We thought Chad Jackson was a 'solid' pick...now he is a solidly unemployed as an athlete

If you base your opinion on a player with 5 pro catches and a few returns as a solid athlete then I hope you never make it as a scout for the New England Patriots

Slater is a decent returner too,but solid player is not a part of his analogy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey