PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Opinion on Dane Fletcher?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever since the Brady pick message boards like these have the tendency to get caught up in hype over UDFA's and late rounders. Fletcher is a good depth guy but if we drafted or signed a good vet at his spot I wouldn't be against it.

LOL! Did you watch this past Sunday's game? HE WAS AWFUL. Yet, not nearly as awful at Guyton....if that's saying anything.
Garb, I have to completely disagree. If you are commenting on his match ups with Spiller in the open field then you are being completely unfair. There isn't a LB in the league that wins that match up more than 1 out 20 times.

Here's what I like about Fletcher. He is FAR from a finished product, at least 2 years worth. But most of all I like his "suddenness". He has that burst or acceleration in a short that is rare. You see it when you see RBs' heads snap back on tackles (he shares that trait with Spikes). You see it when he explode thru the line on blitzes. Its not the speed that kills, its the acceleration.

Extend this kid sometime next season and watch him blossom into something special in his 5th season. Then 5 years from now be prepared to give some big bucks. Mark my word

Last edited:
Garb, I have to completely disagree. If you are commenting on his match ups with Spiller in the open field then you are being completely unfair. There isn't a LB in the league that wins that match up more than 1 out 20 times.

Here's what I like about Fletcher. He is FAR from a finished product, at least 2 years worth. But most of all I like his "suddenness". He has that burst or acceleration in a short that is rare. You see it when you see RBs' heads snap back on tackles (he shares that trait with Spikes). You see it when he explode thru the line on blitzes. Its not the speed that kills, its the acceleration.

Extend this kid sometime next season and watch him blossom into something special in his 5th season. Then 5 years from now be prepared to give some big bucks. Mark my word

Yeah, I wouldn't exactly hold Fletcher responsible for that either. I agree that there would probably not be many LB's in this league that could possibly keep up with Spiller.

Love your comments about his burst, aggressiveness, heart and spirit.

I agree that he should certainly stick around here for awhile, at the very least he provides very good depth--should we end up with a better starting option in the future. If not, the increased reps will be key in bringing him along.

i have NO idea how i missed this thread until now....

but thanks to all of the participants who spent time making long posts about the Xs and Os of LB play, very intriguing

Let's be fair, Derrick Brooks in his prime would struggle to keep up with CJ Spiller at full speed.

I see potential for Fletcher to be an everydown ILB, he played DE at an FCS school and look at the progress he's made! I remember a few very memorable plays off the top of my head from his rookie year:

1. Fletcher completely blanketing Ray Rice on screen passes/dumpoffs in the OT game last year.

2. Fletcher recovering a fumble against the Chargers.

3. Fletcher sacking Flynn in a key moment.

Although it was a called run blitz, that play where he got to Moore immediately was awesome too. Personally, I like him better than Spikes as a LB, but Spikes is needed badly for run defense, hope he returns.

Yes, like dessalines said, it reminds me very similar of Bruschi's career path.

I also remember Fletcher last year making a very heads up recovery on a surprise onsides kick. I was very impressed, very. I mean the guy was an UDFA ROOKIE for Christ's sake!!!!!

I see a lot of people talking about Fletcher as an ILB but feel he needs to be on the field every single down...he's that good. Better than Ninkovich. If we continue this hybrid style of defence, which I think we will, we will continue this 33 style personnel with a 42 look and one OLB in two-point on the line and, if we do, I think Fletcher needs to be the guy on the edge.

I think on 1st down you need Mayo, Spikes and Fletcher all on the field at once, with spikes in the middle.

Then I think in obvious passing situations or where you feel the other team likes to pass, you rotate Fletcher to the middle and bring Ninkovich back onto the edge. It's going to depend on how the Pats draft this year too...it's so difficult to judge whether they stay with what we're seeing or we revert back. I say we stick with the 3-3-5 personnel...it's so versatile and you can go into almost any other formation from it.

Either way, his versatility is fun to play with...and if Spikes goes down we know we can put him in the middle and have Ninkovich on the outside. I think we have one of the better LB corps when fully healthy, and it will develop into one of the best int he future.

If Dowling can stay healthy, him Arrington and McCourty (who I do believe is just suffering from a sophomore slump) give you young talent and promise at corner too...you just need that free safety (gutted Kenny Vaccaro didn't declare this year)...then you have Chung with Ihedigbo (who is a solid backup in my eyes) backing him up there. I think Barrett will be a suitable backup at FS...he has upside and was gutted he got hurt.

This defence has nice young pieces...and the development of players like Love on the D Line make you feel happy with the direction that this defence is going in...despite the lapse in terms of giving up yards.My only concern is the D Line as it's not the youngest...and we need a young edge rusher.

Hey man you left out Sterling Moore.....

Not sure where the " DL is Old" comes from.

Wilfork is only 30

Warren and Carter probably are the old men @ 32/33

Also they are used situationally so it's not like they are every down players who will wear down. Love,Deaderick and Pryor are youngsters. (Odd...Cunningham isn't listed on the Patriot roster under IR,PS or regular roster. Oversight? ) Plus, Mike Wright, if he returns is only 29.

Trust BB to sign FA's or draft replacements as needed...

In BB We Trust ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes