PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OPINION: Moss will sign early Friday...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Moss will sign early Friday ...

Actually, I don't think either of these moves are shocking. Neither would Asante to New Orleans. If we can't keep Asante, I'd be happy with having him in New Orleans. Same with Rosie, if we can't have him, I hope he goes to a struggling AFC team (not the Jets, Dolphins or Bills) or an average NFC team.

I don't think you have to worry at all about that. Buffalo needs a CB, but they are not in the habit of going after top names in the FA market.

If Terrell Owens at age 34 is worth $8 mil per, and Marvin Harrison at age 35/36 is worth $9.5 mil per, then Randy is definitely worth $10 mil per at age 31-33. For what he does for this offense and for Tom Brady and Wes Welkers' numbers, he's worth every penny.

Re: Moss will sign early Friday...

I'm going to trust that Pioli and Belichick know what they're doing here. They wouldn't overpay for a player unless they really felt he was worth it. I guess this guy Randy Moss is a pretty good tackle football player.

After giving this much thought, I'll put this rumor in the "I'll believe it, when I see it pile". Rather than get my hopes up, only to have them crushed, I'll just wait and see what happens. There has been far to much "BAD KARMA" hitting this team from all sides lately. :scared:

I beleive the "premise" of the rumor, but I'd be pretty shocked at those numbers. I was thinking more like 3/25-27/~12.

Nobody loves Randy as much as I do, but I'll be honest, I'd be a little uneasy the 3/30/13 numbers for any WR. It's seems a little too player lopsided and that's something the Patriots NEVER do.

I beleive it when I see it, and I don't really think Randy is going anywhere, but I think those numbers might be a little too much conjecture.

It's NOT about just what's Randy's worth.

It's about having YOUR HOF Quarterback trowing to a HOF receiver - I'm telling you that you can't put a price on that (well of course there is the cap and all..........but you know what I'm saying).

That money is going to Randy checkbook, but for all intents and purposes it's Tom's as well.

I don't care what they pay him, I just want to watch history....again. ;)

At the end of the 2008 season, will we hear:

a. 'Pats finally pay up when it comes to marquee players.'

b. 'Overpaying Moss was key to Pats downfall.'

Hope this is true because John "*******" Clayton is reporting that Moss will more than likely let Moss hit FA.

Hope this is true because John "*******" Clayton is reporting that Moss will more than likely let Moss hit FA.
From this point forward, please follow Sean Salisbury's lead and refer to John Clayton as "The Crypt Keeper".

cryptkeeper.jpg

mr-mackey-john-clayton.jpg

(A) A lot of the time, they're talking about what they want to be true, not what will be true (after all, they rarely get called on it).
(B) He's technically correct; Moss has to hit FA, even if only for a minute.

Maybe a deal has been worked out, maybe not. But, as has been said previously, we'll know soon enough where things stand.

I'm going to trust that Pioli and Belichick know what they're doing here. They wouldn't overpay for a player unless they really felt he was worth it. I guess this guy Randy Moss is a pretty good tackle football player.
Yep, that's why he plays deep safety on the last play of games when the other team has the ball and one more play. It is telling when a guy is used like that in situational football.

At the end of the 2008 season, will we hear:

a. 'Pats finally pay up when it comes to marquee players.'

b. 'Overpaying Moss was key to Pats downfall.'

How is this overpaying for Moss? Other top recievers are getting similar money as Moss, and Moss is coming off one of the best years for a reciever. Just because they're paying a lot of money for someone doesn't mean its overpaying

3 years @ $30 million is a little more than I'd like to see spent. I think the FO looks at Moss differently than we do if that money is the real deal. Moss opens up the field for everyone, therefore making each player on the offense better. Moss makes Welker better, and allows the Pats to use a cheaper set of WR's on the opposite side. When you figure out what Welker, Moss, Gaffney, Jackson, etc. all make as a unit, I bet the Pats figure they're right around where they were this year with respect to cap cost.

Think about what you're saying though. 2 or 3 years ago we offered Deion Branch a contract that paid him $7.5 million a year (the non pro-rated part).

Inlfation for football goes according to the cap, and it pops 10% a year. So, Deion is worth $9 million a year in this market.

If the Patriots were willing to pay Deion $7.5 for last season, I'd say they are willing to pay Moss $9 million for next.

I smell what you're cooking, but...on a team not exactly swimming in cap savings and needing to repair holes at CB and LB, every $1M/year not paid to Moss can be spent elsewhere.

I tend to agree that giving him $10M per could be slightly high (the guy is 31 years old), and wouldn't seem at all like a "home team discount" to me. But, I can't see how he's not worth at least $8M per. [\QUOTE]

The "home town discount" was the deal that got him here in the first place. If you look at it as 4/32 and a fourth rounder, it is a steal. Not that they do business that way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back