PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OPINION: Moss will sign early Friday...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Moss will sign early Friday ...

Hope you're right regarding Moss. He comes with a few risks but with him, Welker and Brady, if we protect the QB we're a shoe in for 27+ points just about every game.

Unless, of course, we only score 14 and it happens to be the SB...

Unless, of course, we only score 14 and it happens to be the SB...

I took care of that :

Hope you're right regarding Moss. He comes with a few risks but with him, Welker and Brady, if we protect the QB we're a shoe in for 27+ points just about every game.

I hope those #s are wrong. That's $10M more over 3 years than what I would do.

This roster has serious issues at LB and esp. CB. Having a $10M/year WR is a luxury this team cannot afford, and doesn't need.

So, you believe Moss is only worth $6M per year? That's what he'd be making if they gave him the 3 year $20M contract you just thought up.

I tend to agree that giving him $10M per could be slightly high (the guy is 31 years old), and wouldn't seem at all like a "home team discount" to me. But, I can't see how he's not worth at least $8M per. So, I'm hoping these figures (if they actually are close to a deal) are off just a little. If it's a 3 year $27M contract with $10-12M guaranteed I'll be very happy, but if he comes back at the rumored contract numbers I will not be complaining either.

Also, this is a great year to draft CB's, so I'm sure they'll draft a few to help out. If they were to draft someone like Antoine Cason I believe he'd start as a rookie, and be effective. They've also got a bunch of other draft picks, and a little bit of money to bring in a few free agents.

So, we'll have to see what "holes" exist in their roster after Free Agency and the draft.

Last edited:
Re: Moss will sign early Friday...

Moss was a priority, just wish we won the super bowl with him and the crew we had.. Its going to be tought to do it all over again.. I stil wont believe anything positive or negative on Moss till Fri.. I though do believe Moss will be a Patriot.

So after 3 years of production with the Patriots he would have to prove what in his final year of a 3-year contract?

I think this deal sounds fantastic for the best WR in football. Would be thrilled if they get it done. He would easily command more on the open market.

Prove he's not as old as his age of 35??

Briggs, Willis, and Lawson on the same LB core is sick. Now if they could just overhaul the rest of the team they may make the playoffs. :D

Lawson sucks. He was terrible his rookie year and wasn't doing much until he got injured in training camp.

So, you believe Moss is only worth $6M per year? That's what he'd be making if they gave him the 3 year $20M contract you just thought up.

I tend to agree that giving him $10M per could be slightly high (the guy is 31 years old), and wouldn't seem at all like a "home team discount" to me. But, I can't see how he's not worth at least $8M per. So, I'm hoping these figures (if they actually are close to a deal) are off just a little. If it's a 3 year $27M contract with $10-12M guaranteed I'll be very happy, but if he comes back at the rumored contract numbers I will not be complaining either.

Also, this is a great year to draft CB's, so I'm sure they'll draft a few to help out. If they were to draft someone like Antoine Cason I believe he'd start as a rookie, and be effective. They've also got a bunch of other draft picks, and a little bit of money to bring in a few free agents.

So, we'll have to see what "holes" exist in their roster after Free Agency and the draft.

My "Take it or leave it" offer would be, based on a 3-year length, $25M incl. $10M SB. That's still $5M more than the FO can probably afford to pay, and still leave enough to sign draft picks and FAs who would make actually meaningful contributions.

FWIW, Pat Kirwin on Fox Sports Radio this evening believes that Moss will indeed re-sign with the NEP.

Last edited:

hopefully this isnt true i would be really pissed off if Moss forced us to pay him 10 mill a year. How about taking a discount for a team that you need more then them? 7-8 mill he should sign for otherwise go get your money elsewhere and good luck winning a SB anytime soon. 10 mill kills our cap.

After giving this much thought, I'll put this rumor in the "I'll believe it, when I see it pile". Rather than get my hopes up, only to have them crushed, I'll just wait and see what happens. There has been far to much "BAD KARMA" hitting this team from all sides lately. :scared:

Last edited:

Prove he's not as old as his age of 35??

I guess it's a matter of semantics. I think I know what you're saying. Basically to show he's worth re-upping. I guess I associate "prove it" in contract talks with a team signing a FA and basically structuring contracts as one-year deals that have easy outs if they don't work out, a la what NE did with Moss & Stallworth.

Lawson sucks. He was terrible his rookie year and wasn't doing much until he got injured in training camp.

Just because the Pats drafted Maroney doesn't mean he's a bad player :)

I guess it's a matter of semantics. I think I know what you're saying. Basically to show he's worth re-upping. I guess I associate "prove it" in contract talks with a team signing a FA and basically structuring contracts as one-year deals that have easy outs if they don't work out, a la what NE did with Moss & Stallworth.

I'm comfortable paying Moss $10 million a year.

But I'm not comfortable having a 35 year old with a contract that's difficult to cut.

That means, pay Randy the big dough, but don't lock yourself up with him.

The last time he locked a guy down like that, Corey Dillon, something went funky. I still haven't figured it out.

How do you know what the signing bonus will be?

I'm ok with $10 million for Randy in this market but that signing bonus is ridiculously high. They won't be able to cut him.

In his 3rd year, he'll be earning $6 million but the bonus charge will be $4 million, if not worse (if they stagger the payments).

That means they'll still be on the hook for $4 or 5 million in 3 years whether he's on the team or not.

I would have preferred a smaller bonus so that his 3rd year would be a PROVE IT year.

Of course this is a rumor so maybe I should shut up.

My "Take it or leave it" offer would be, based on a 3-year length, $25M incl. $10M SB. That's still $5M more than the FO can probably afford to pay, and still leave enough to sign draft picks and FAs who would make actually meaningful contributions.

FWIW, Pat Kirwin on Fox Sports Radio this evening believes that Moss will indeed re-sign with the NEP.

Think about what you're saying though. 2 or 3 years ago we offered Deion Branch a contract that paid him $7.5 million a year (the non pro-rated part).

Inlfation for football goes according to the cap, and it pops 10% a year. So, Deion is worth $9 million a year in this market.

If the Patriots were willing to pay Deion $7.5 for last season, I'd say they are willing to pay Moss $9 million for next.

I was hoping more like $25 million over 3 years.

There's nothing more unreliable than a rumored contract (especially the details.)

I'm okay with what I'm seeing here, would have liked less, but I'm okay with this. We'll have something to react to -- we think -- Friday.

PFnV

I'm ok with $10 million for Randy in this market but that signing bonus is ridiculously high. They won't be able to cut him.

In his 3rd year, he'll be earning $6 million but the bonus charge will be $4 million, if not worse (if they stagger the payments).

That means they'll still be on the hook for $4 or 5 million in 3 years whether he's on the team or not.

I would have preferred a smaller bonus so that his 3rd year would be a PROVE IT year.

Of course this is a rumor so maybe I should shut up.

I have to disagree with you on this one. If those numbers are legit, that contract is a huge steal for the Pats and we owe Moss a debt of gratitude as fans. IMO he could easily demand $20 million guaranteed and get it elsewhere.

I can't wait until Friday.

Anyone else scared to check the free agent news early friday?
I think I might peek at it on saturday.
Interested in Pace, Law sorry to some who still hate him, Gaffney, Moss if he's reasonable.

Seriously, 10 mil a year for a record-breaking WR and people are complaining about it being too much? Some people around here are spoiled by the "I'll take less money to win a SB" mentality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back