PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Opinion: Jonathan Kraft not representing the Krafts well during labor battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I forgot to bring this up when I heard him on WEEI last week, but Jonathan Kraft - and this isn't the first time - desperately needs to take a lesson from his father and be careful about what he says in the media.

He is way too brash and arrogant in the media and lacks all the eloquence and level-headedness of his father.

Howe hit upon it this week:

Patriots President Jonathan Kraft Disregards Major Details in Placing Blame on Players for Lockout

In a pre-draft bit on WEEI last week, Jonathan took digs at the players and insinuated they didn't want to negotiate and that they were delaying the process by their actions with the lawsuit and decertifying the NFLPA. He sounded incredulous that the players had even done what they had done, and effectively blamed this entire lockout on them.

His tone was shockingly arrogant and his point was derisive - obviously, the players were looking for leverage, and had a right to look for leverage.

When they were at the negotiating table before, the owners had all the leverage. They believed they were getting their "lockout insurance" $$ and they believed they could, in fact, lockout the players.

Both of those things are in question now, thanks to the players actions.

The players actions have been confirmed to be the right course of action by both Doty and Nelson - and they have won themselves leverage accordingly. It remains to be seen if the 8th Circuit will give the players a slam dunk, or reverse Nelson's decision, but until then - Jonathan Kraft has no right to question the players decision to try and win some leverage in order to negotiate under fair pretenses - not the completely unlevel playing field the owners had set-up for them to start this process.

The larger point I want to make is that this isn't the first time I thought Jonathan Kraft was representing his family and the team in a questionable manner in his dealings with the media. Of all the people high up in the organization, he's actually one of the more likely to give someone fodder or a soundbyte that would not seem Belichick-approved.

During this entire players vs. union battle, Robert Kraft has handled everything with class - and been a figure that both sides seem to look forward to coming to the table. In spite of the fact that the message he is delivering is often no different than his son's, he does it in a way that is not divisive, but rather gives hope that the labor battle will be solved. I hope he manages to rein his son in.

Last edited:
I submit a nomination for a special award to anyone who thinks that the Kraft's aren't on the same page. Public statements are for effect. Johnathan does not just shoot off his mouth and say things that are not what the organization want out there.

Agree completely on that interview but disagree that he has always represented them in this way. Ordway and Holley allowed him to get away with spewing complete garbage, the interview was a farce.

I heard that interview. It was not Ordway's finest hour.

Johnathan does not just shoot off his mouth and say things that are not what the organization want out there.

He has before. Everytime I hear him on 98.5 or WEEI he's good for a soundbyte or two that you have to think no one else in the organization would get away with.

Case in point - in an interview with DA before the start of last year, he laughed off the Jets and basically said they weren't a threat. I'm fine with the average caller into the station saying that - but the team President shouldn't say things like that.

I heard that interview. It was not Ordway's finest hour.

In defense of your radio station preference, I have no doubt that there's no one on 98.5 - save maybe for the guys on in the morning - that would have the guts to say otherwise to him. Even Felger - who I still think is a much, much better host then Ordway - isn't going to go up against Kraft's kid.

That said - if anyone, I expected one of Ordway/Holley to have the cache to stand up against him. After all, they've had Vrabel on and sucked up to him. It's hard to play it both ways.

Last edited:
Jon Kraft was a prime architect of the CBA the owners opted out of, how he gets through that interview without being grilled on "what was so wrong" with it is beyond me. It should have been the first question and he should have been made to answer it before moving on to anything else. Ordway is and has been on the owners side from the outset and is essentially a shill for them so it's not surprising he played pattycake with Kraft.

I forgot to bring this up when I heard him on WEEI last week, but Jonathan Kraft - and this isn't the first time - desperately needs to take a lesson from his father and be careful about what he says in the media.

He is way too brash and arrogant in the media and lacks all the eloquence and level-headedness of his father.

Howe hit upon it this week:

Patriots President Jonathan Kraft Disregards Major Details in Placing Blame on Players for Lockout

In a pre-draft bit on WEEI last week, Jonathan took digs at the players and insinuated they didn't want to negotiate and that they were delaying the process by their actions with the lawsuit and decertifying the NFLPA. He sounded incredulous that the players had even done what they had done, and effectively blamed this entire lockout on them.

His tone was shockingly arrogant and his point was derisive - obviously, the players were looking for leverage, and had a right to look for leverage.

When they were at the negotiating table before, the owners had all the leverage. They believed they were getting their "lockout insurance" $$ and they believed they could, in fact, lockout the players.

Both of those things are in question now, thanks to the players actions.

The players actions have been confirmed to be the right course of action by both Doty and Nelson - and they have won themselves leverage accordingly. It remains to be seen if the 8th Circuit will give the players a slam dunk, or reverse Nelson's decision, but until then - Jonathan Kraft has no right to question the players decision to try and win some leverage in order to negotiate under fair pretenses - not the completely unlevel playing field the owners had set-up for them to start this process.

The larger point I want to make is that this isn't the first time I thought Jonathan Kraft was representing his family and the team in a questionable manner in his dealings with the media. Of all the people high up in the organization, he's actually one of the more likely to give someone fodder or a soundbyte that would not seem Belichick-approved.

During this entire players vs. union battle, Robert Kraft has handled everything with class - and been a figure that both sides seem to look forward to coming to the table. In spite of the fact that the message he is delivering is often no different than his son's, he does it in a way that is not divisive, but rather gives hope that the labor battle will be solved. I hope he manages to rein his son in.

I will say this. While dad seems more content to take the high road on certain matters, Jonathan has no problem speaking his mind. Sometimes thats good. Sometimes thats not so good.

But to say that Bob and Jonathan aren't in complete alignment on the labor issue is a bit off-base IMO.

In defense of your radio station preference, I have no doubt that there's no one on 98.5 - save maybe for the guys on in the morning - that would have the guts to say otherwise to him. Even Felger - who I still think is a much, much better host then Ordway - isn't going to go up against Kraft's kid.

That said - if anyone, I expected one of Ordway/Holley to have the cache to stand up against him. After all, they've had Vrabel on and sucked up to him. It's hard to play it both ways.

I never expect hard questions from Holley to the local football guys. He doesn't want to lose his access there. Ordway, on the other hand, needs to be more than just a doormat.

I will say this. While dad seems more content to take the high road on certain matters, Jonathan has no problem speaking his mind. Sometimes thats good. Sometimes thats not so good.

But to say that Bob and Jonathan aren't in complete alignment on the labor issue is a bit off-base IMO.

Like I said - the message is the same, but it's how you deliver it.

It might be refreshing for media members that Jonathan does not worry about taking the high-road, but it's not the Patriot way to speak your mind without worrying about the consequences - Belichick, [Robert] Kraft, Brady, these guys always take the high-road.

Heck, the team's 3rd best player was suspended for the first series of a playoff game for not following suit. Jonathan has to be accountable for what he says - no matter what the platform is.

Last edited:
Like I said - the message is the same, but it's how you deliver it.

It might be refreshing for media members that Jonathan does not worry about taking the high-road, but it's not the Patriot way to speak your mind without worrying about the consequences - Belichick, [Robert] Kraft, Brady, these guys always take the high-road.

Heck, the team's 3rd best player was suspended for the first series of a playoff game for not following suit. Jonathan has to be accountable for what he says - no matter what the platform is or how many people are listening.

I would agree. IIRC when Bob bought the team he was a bit outspoken on a few issues as well but settled down once Parcells left town. JH is only 47. He has plenty of time to develop a little more media savvy like his dad.

Good cop Bad cop....one Kraft offering measured words to placate the players, one Kraft serving up red meat for the owners. Standard operating procedure during negotiations.

Wouldn't it all be wonderful if players and owners could just hold hands and embrace, just make everyone feel so warm and fuzzy....perhaps exchange kittens. Maybe in politically correct Massachusetts ....but in the business world, both sides are out to eat the young of their opposition

Jonathan Kraft is a disaster. The recent labor strife notwithstanding, he's been held in pretty low esteem by the vast majority of the locker room for quite some time. Arrogant, entitled, and marginally competent is really no way to go through life.

When Robert gives up the ghost, so too will the marquee status of the franchise.

Jonathan Kraft is a disaster. The recent labor strife notwithstanding, he's been held in pretty low esteem by the vast majority of the locker room for quite some time. Arrogant, entitled, and marginally competent is really no way to go through life.

State your source. I don't believe a word of it.

Lets see. MBA from Harvard Business School. Worked at Bain Capital. Sits on the BoD for several reputable financial institutions. Has taken a leadership role in the NFLs electronic media initatives. He may say some things every now and then, but a disaster? C'mon now...

When Robert gives up the ghost, so too will the marquee status of the franchise.

Pure conjecture. It's not like Tommy Boy is waiting in the wings. Really?

Last edited:

What evidence do you have to support your claim of "low esteem" by the "vast majority" of the locker room?........Put up.....or Shut Up:bricks:

What evidence do you have to support your claim of "low esteem" by the "vast majority" of the locker room?........Put up.....or Shut Up:bricks:

Yes indeed. Sources, please.

He said pretty much exactly what Goodell said at the draft. They're both right.

The players actions have been confirmed to be the right course of action by both Doty and Nelson - and they have won themselves leverage accordingly. It remains to be seen if the 8th Circuit will give the players a slam dunk, or reverse Nelson's decision, but until then - Jonathan Kraft has no right to question the players decision to try and win some leverage in order to negotiate under fair pretenses - not the completely unlevel playing field the owners had set-up for them to start this process
No, the players actions have been confirmed as LEGAL.

And it is legal, but it also, as Kraft said, is delaying the whole thing, and in the long run, will probably make little difference in the final results of the negotiations.

Everything Jonathan is saying is with his father's direct approval I would guess. It is important to ownership's goal that they get out that they are trying to negotiate, but the court case is keeping that from happening.

Which side you think is being unreasonable here really doesn't matter. We will not have a new CBA as long as the players union is dissolved. The players union will be dissolved as long as there is a court case and a lockout.

It might be refreshing for media members that Jonathan does not worry about taking the high-road, but it's not the Patriot way to speak your mind without worrying about the consequences - Belichick, [Robert] Kraft, Brady, these guys always take the high-road..

I would argue that Jonathon craft knows EXACTLY what the consequences of his statements will be.

Lets see. MBA from Harvard Business School. Worked at Bain Capital. Sits on the BoD for several reputable financial institutions. Has taken a leadership role in the NFLs electronic media initatives.

And a primary architect of the CBA the owners claim they had to opt out of because it was such a horrible deal.

Did Kraft really do that bad a job or are the owners full of crap?

And it is legal, but it also, as Kraft said, is delaying the whole thing, and in the long run, will probably make little difference in the final results of the negotiations.

Of course they make a huge difference in the negotiations.

When the negotiations started - it was under the pretense that the owners would be still be receiving their TV money if a lockout came to pass, and the players would be left with nothing. How is that at all conducive to a fair negotiation?

All the players are doing is balancing that leverage - it's rather clear. And it would be foolish of them to not.

If the 8th Circuit reinforces Nelson's decision, the negotiation is going to be rather quick, and it will be in favor of the players. The owners will have lost at every turn.

If that comes to pass, I think it will be rather obvious to Jonathan Kraft why the players did what they did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey