PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Opinion: Bring back Reche "Bug Eyes" Caldwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
And most of them wouldn't have ran out of bounds afterwards.

Exactly, as big as the catch was, he still made it look hard and couldn't even remain in bounds.

they should have no problem signing mr. gaffney if they want him on the team.

Really? So if the Pats want gaffney as their #3 WR and some WR starved team wants to pay him starter $ they will have no problem keeping him - even with our current free agents and limited cap room?

Last edited:
Really? So if the Pats want gaffney as their #3 WR and some WR starved team wants to pay him starter $ they will have no problem keeping him - even with our current free agents and limited cap room?

Concur - the likelihood of us retaining Gaffney is not that high. I thought it was a sure thing until I really examined Miguels' cap page. We won't be able to match what he'll get on the open market. Some team will take a chance and pay him something like 3 years at 4-5 mill a year. We can't match that right now.

yes really. If they really want him they will find a way to keep him.

(I hope i don't have to say that again)

I would take Bethel Johnson back or David Patten before taking Reche Caldwell again,Seriously....

I never liked him despite the 2006 efforts

I really don't get the Caldwell hate...he caught 41 passes for first downs as a Patriots in 06. Stallworth by comparison had 27 first downs.

If Washington is gone and Jackson plays more at WR (#3?)

any other wide receivers on the team need to be special teams monsters, e.g. better KO returners than Hobbs or Maroney, have super motors and great speed.

I don't see how Caldwell fits any of those descriptions.

If Washington is gone and Jackson plays more at WR (#3?)

any other wide receivers on the team need to be special teams monsters, e.g. better KO returners than Hobbs or Maroney, have super motors and great speed.

I don't see how Caldwell fits any of those descriptions.

Are you assuming Gaffney comes back? Because, otherwise I'm only counting 3 wide receivers. And the 4th one on the depth chart need not be a ST monster. #5 - or #6 if there is one - yes, should be adept at ST.

That's where Washington fit on the depth chart this year. But Reche would be swapping with Gaffney, who may be gone in FA. CJ swaps with Stallworth, and then Washington can be replaced either by himself at a re-done deal, or another wideout with ST ability.

Upon first look, I thought the Title to this thread read: Onion: Bring back Bug Eyes.

Anywho, I'm not a fan of ANY of our receivers not named Welker or Moss.

Givens was MUCH better than Gaffney and Stallworth, and I'd like to see a solid 2nd receiver at that spot.

I've never been a fan of Gaffneys because I don't think he possesses the skills to make space. He's a heady guy, but not very talented.

I honestly can't remember Stallworth catching a pass from Brady after breaking up a route. I know he had to. But mostly he caught screens and bombs.

Chad Jackson complained in the media about his lack of playing time. This kid is most definitely NOT Patriot material.

I'd like to bring back Washington for sure because of his special team skills. I'd like to let the rest go, draft a rookie, and then give another FA the chance to line up opposite Moss.

If Chad Johnson could assure Belichick he'd sublimate his ego and be satisfied with 70 receptions, I'd trade me 1st rounder for him.

He's a FA, we could sign him for cheap. I think we're going to have to focus our $$ on Moss and then the defense this offseason, so honestly, I think Gaffney might price out.

CJax is our 3, and I believe he'll be an upgrade over Stallworth in terms of the total package. But as insurance, what better guy could there be then Reche?

Caldwell was extremely good at making his catches matter & finding the first down marker, he was very David Givens esque in that manner. We could definitely use another guy on 3rd down who can make that happen, as teams will continue to pay more attention to Moss/Welker.

I don't think you can have too much depth in February. Assuming he wants to get a shot here I'd be happy to have him.

With Stallworth, Moss, Gaffney and Washington all up in the air to one degree or another, I think he'd make perfect sense as an early FA signee.

Chad Jackson complained in the media about his lack of playing time. This kid is most definitely NOT Patriot material.

No he didn't. He complained to a friend who happened to be a member of this board and who went and told people here. CJ didn't once complain about PT in the media. Which is besides the point - you want players to want to play. The notion that any athlete on the face of the planet would rather sit on the bench than not is just insane.

If you can name me one player that has ever been OK with a lesser amount of playing time, go ahead, you'll probably name a player that is a complete loser and is OK earning his money while rotting on the bench. Aren't you happy Jackson isn't that guy?

So any good athletes hates riding the bench, the difference is whether they make a deal of it in the media or not, whether or not it becomes a distraction, and in the case of Jackson, he did neither. For instance, Bledsoe handled the Brady situation as well as humanly possible, and for that he should be commended - but do you honestly believe that he didn't complain about not starting in private to friends?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure dropping touchdowns isn't "Patriot Material" either.

No he didn't. He complained to a friend who happened to be a member of this board and who went and told people here. CJ didn't once complain about PT in the media. Which is besides the point - you want players to want to play. The notion that any athlete on the face of the planet would rather sit on the bench than not is just insane.

If you can name me one player that has ever been OK with a lesser amount of playing time, go ahead, you'll probably name a player that is a complete loser and is OK earning his money while rotting on the bench. Aren't you happy Jackson isn't that guy?

So any good athletes hates riding the bench, the difference is whether they make a deal of it in the media or not, whether or not it becomes a distraction, and in the case of Jackson, he did neither. For instance, Bledsoe handled the Brady situation as well as humanly possible, and for that he should be commended - but do you honestly believe that he didn't complain about not starting in private to friends?

Uh, no, Tony Massarotti made mention of this in a mid-January column in Sunday's NFL Notes in the Herald, and also Massarrotti said that from what he's heard Jackson's act is wearing thin and that he might benefit from a change of scenery.

Uh, no, Tony Massarotti made mention of this in a mid-January column in Sunday's NFL Notes in the Herald, and also Massarrotti said that from what he's heard Jackson's act is wearing thin and that he might benefit from a change of scenery.

Oh, OK. Tony Maz, now there's a reliable source for Pats info :rolleyes:...come on now.

Reche as a 3 is a hell of a lot better than Reche as a 1, God love the glandular freak!

Worth a look... you have to believe that both Washington and Stallworth consider the NE detour a bit of a mistake, if they're not paid their respective bonuses (which they won't be.)

They'll get a shot at restructuring, but barring that? Oh heck yeah, Reche should be a low-cost alternative.

PFnV

Don't get me wrong. I like Gaffney, but can be replaced fairly easily if his asking price is too high. Don't forget this guy was cut by the Houston Texans.

He's a FA, we could sign him for cheap. I think we're going to have to focus our $$ on Moss and then the defense this offseason, so honestly, I think Gaffney might price out.

CJax is our 3, and I believe he'll be an upgrade over Stallworth in terms of the total package. But as insurance, what better guy could there be then Reche?

Caldwell was extremely good at making his catches matter & finding the first down marker, he was very David Givens esque in that manner. We could definitely use another guy on 3rd down who can make that happen, as teams will continue to pay more attention to Moss/Welker.

Pass on the eyes wide shut...

So far, Jackson is a total bust... usually this is only for 1st round picks, but he did less than Bethel Johnson so far.

I really don't get the Caldwell hate...he caught 41 passes for first downs as a Patriots in 06. Stallworth by comparison had 27 first downs.

He sucks.

That is all the hate.

When the game is on the line, and you need to make the catch, Caldwell can't do it.

Even as a 3rd or 4th option.

No way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back