Welcome to PatsFans.com

Operation Name your favorite Operation

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

How about Operation Mongoose. Ever heard about it?

Operation Mongoose

The failure of the Bay of Pigs invasion in April 1961 was a disaster for the Kennedy administration. It made the young president look weak, and gave fuel to Cold Warriors in both parties who could not stand the presence of a Soviet-aligned, Communist dictatorship just ninety miles south of Florida.

Target: Fidel Castro
    A couple of months later, a special investigation of the Bay of Pigs chaired by retired General Maxwell Taylor made its report. "There can be no long-term living with Castro," Taylor wrote, just in case President Kennedy was thinking of giving up. The president's brother -- the new point-man on the Cuba problem -- needed no such prompting. "We will take action against Castro," Bobby wrote. "It might be tomorrow, it might be in five days or ten days, or not for months. But it will come."

Nothing to Lose
    Like most covert operations, the plan to oust the Cuban dictator was a slippery thing. Who was paid to do what to whom is still not clear. But one thing is certain: Robert Kennedy was in charge. Convinced he had been betrayed by his military and intelligence advisors in the decision to launch the Bay of Pigs invasion, John Kennedy placed Cuba in the hands of the one man he knew he could trust. But what could be done? At a White House meeting in November, 1961, RFK scribbled the following in his notes:

My idea is to stir things up on the island with espionage,sabotage, general disorder, run and operated by Cubans themselves with every group but Batistaites and Communists. Do not know if we will be successful in overthrowing Castro but we have nothing to lose in my estimate.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/rfk/peopleevents/e_mongoose.html

Operation Mongoose

The policy assessment initiated in May 1961 led in November of that year to a decision to implement a new covert program to undermine and overthrow the Castro government in Cuba. This program was codenamed Operation Mongoose and much of the remainder of the volume after November 1961 is devoted to documenting Operation Mongoose. Oversight for Operation Mongoose was provided by the 5412/Special Group expanded to include General Taylor and Attorney General Kennedy. Planning for Operation Mongoose was given additional impetus in the spring of 1962 by reports of expanded arms shipments from the Soviet Union to Cuba.

In November 1961 Kennedy approved Operation Mongoose, a secret plan aimed at stimulating a rebellion in Cuba that the United States could support. From November 1961 to October 1962 a Special Group (Augmented), whose membership was the same as the Special Group plus Attorney General Robert Kennedy and General Taylor (as Chairman), exercised responsibility for Operation Mongoose, a major covert action program aimed at overthrowing the Castro regime in Cuba. When President Kennedy authorized the program in November, he designated Brigadier General Edward G. Lansdale, Assistant for Special Operations to the Secretary of Defense, to act as chief of operations, and Lansdale coordinated the Mongoose activities among the CIA and the Departments of State and Defense. CIA units in Washington and Miami had primary responsibility for implementing Mongoose operations, which included military, sabotage, and political propaganda programs.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/intell/ops/mongoose.htm
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Heard of it? I'm 'johnny conspiracy'....of course!
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

I saw a show on it a few years ago. Quite fascinating. I guess they were torching farms, and messing with all kinds of social services since it would reflect badly on a communist run government. Lots of people never know about this kind of stuff, and think our governments involvement in secretive ops is only recent. Leads you to woner about JFK's assasination. My barber always tells me that the mob was involved in his killing because they "got" him Chicago (as he puts it), and in exchange wanted the feds to leave them alone. Instead, Robert Kennedy went after the mob hard, and the mob then, well....you know. Wierd stuff. Anyhow, when you read about Op Mongoose, and see how some pundits involve the mob, it starts to add up a bit. Theoretically anyway.
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +658 / 2 / -9

-----Hernia-----
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2007