PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Opening-day starters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
It occurs to me that a remarkable fraction of the opening-day starting slots are in doubt. To wit:
  • Brady is a given.
  • Gronk is a given if healthy, but his health is in doubt.
  • The other offensive skill position "starters" will likely vary from drive to drive, and so it's not a given which ones actually start, Edelman excepted.
  • The OL is in remarkable flux. Even if you don't believe Ben Volin's reporting about Vollmer to LG, the interior OL positions are all in doubt.
  • Revis is a given, but the other starting CB is in doubt.
  • McCourty is a given, but the other starting S is in doubt.
  • If we assume a 4-3, 6 positions are given (the exception is DT next to Wilfork) ... but some people (I'm not one of them) might expect a 3-4 instead.

And you would like to know this cause..? I mean im sure Miami would love to know it aswell.

And you would like to know this cause..? I mean im sure Miami would love to know it aswell.
I am pretty sure that we as fans, without any inside knowledge at all, won't spoil any secrets to Miami.

It's not really wierd that fans of a team, on a fan forum, discusses who the starters will be. Just as we have discussed who we will pick up in FA, who we will draft, who will make the 53 man roster, and now who will start. It's one of those things that fans usually do.

I am pretty sure that we as fans, without any inside knowledge at all, won't spoil any secrets to Miami.

It's not really wierd that fans of a team, on a fan forum, discusses who the starters will be. Just as we have discussed who we will pick up in FA, who we will draft, who will make the 53 man roster, and now who will start. It's one of those things that fans usually do.

I don't think Luxus was being all that serious, personally I thought it funny. But I think the debate is fairly moot anyway. Whether Ridley or Vereen start or which WR starts opposite Edelman or whether Browner or Dennard start at RCB could well be dependent on matchup anyway. I'd much rather be in the position we're in that that of some teams that have obvious starters but no depth to scheme with. However, a clearer picture on the interior OL (Connolly-Wendell or Stork-Cannon perhaps) and second safety would be nice.

Mayo-Collins-Hightower seems like a legit start. I'm guessing Dennard at CB2 and Chung at S2... with Arrington playing the slot when needed. Up front, Ninko and C Jones seem like locks so that would be my eleven. When slot not needed, Vellano maybe ?

http://www.patriots.com/schedule-and-stats/depth-chart.html

Interesting depth chart at patriots.com They have Kline starting at LG and Chris Barker, a guard, ahead of Stork as the backup Center to Ryan Wendell. Cannon as the #1 backup to both Solder and Vollmer at Tackle.

So that makes it Solder - Connolly - Wendell - Kline - Vollmer on the line. Brady is the QB. The rest don't matter. It's all situational football. If the Patriots start a drive on their own 20, that's one thing. If they get a great return and start on the Dolphins 5, that's another group.

What strikes me, now that all the other names are removed from the chart, is the versatility of the running backs, and the receiving corps (in which I include Vereen and Develin) is the most diverse group, skill-set-wise, that we've seen in the Belichick/Brady era. Giants, smurfs, speed, athleticism, at every position.

If LaFell and Dobson can command respect outside the numbers so that the best corner is out there and safeties refrain from cheating in, or blitzing, God help opposing defenses in dealing with changing combinations of Edelman, Gronk, Vereen, Develin, Amendola, Wright and Thompkins.

On defense, the depth chart has Chris Jones starting in the 4-3, Dennard opposite Revis at corner, and Harmon with McCourty. All good.

Chris Jones is injured

QB-Brady
RB-Vereen
WR-Dobson
WR-Edelman
TE-Gronkowski
TE-Wright
LT-Solder
LG-Vollmer
OC-Connolly
RG-Devey
RT-Cannon

LE-Ninkovich
DT-Easley
NT-Wilfork
RE-Jones
SLB-Hightower
MLB-Mayo
WLB-Collins
LCB-Revis
RCB-Dennard
SAF-McCourty
SAF-Wilson

I will drink the Kool Aide on Vollmer at LG for now.

The interior of the Phins OL is in shambles.

Whats the best way to attack? 4 - 3 or 3 - 4?

If we play the 3-4 I could see Zach Moore getting the start at one of the DE positions, especially given Chris Jones injury.

QB - Brady
RB1 - Ridley
3dRB - Vereen
TE1 - Gronk
PCTE - Wright
BTE - OhOh
FB - Develin
WR1 - Edelman
SWR - Amendola
WR2 - Thompkins/Dobson
OLT - Solder
OLG - Kline
OC - Wendell
ORG - Connolly
ORT - Vollmer

CB1 - Revis
CB2 - Dennard
¢ - Arrington
S1 - McCourty
RS2 - Chung
PS2 - Harmon
LB - Mayo
LB - Hightower
LB - Collins
DE/LB - Ninkovich
DE/LB - Jones
DL - Wilfork
DL - ???

I could have one or more of those wrong, of course, but I only see one spot that I'd consider "open", unless the Patriots do the 3OT shuffle on the OL.

It may not be on opening day, but I suspect Stork will be the starting center by November. At the latest.

QB - Brady
RB1 - Ridley
3dRB - Vereen
TE1 - Gronk
PCTE - Wright
BTE - OhOh
FB - Develin
WR1 - Edelman
SWR - Amendola
WR2 - Thompkins/Dobson
OLT - Solder
OLG - Kline
OC - Wendell
ORG - Connolly
ORT - Vollmer

CB1 - Revis
CB2 - Dennard
¢ - Arrington
S1 - McCourty
RS2 - Chung
PS2 - Harmon
LB - Mayo
LB - Hightower
LB - Collins
DE/LB - Ninkovich
DE/LB - Jones
DL - Wilfork
DL - ???

I could have one or more of those wrong, of course, but I only see one spot that I'd consider "open", unless the Patriots do the 3OT shuffle on the OL.

I would put Arrington down as starting S2 (SS), and Harmon or Ryan as NB. Chung in limited run-support safety. Would not be surprised to see Easley as the 2nd DL.

Opening-day starters......kick off squad or kick return squad

I think this team has the most uncertainty at "starting" positions as any we have seen in recent history.

Who is the "starting RB?" Vereen, Ridley?
Starting receivers? Edeleman is clear - but do they go LaFell, Dobson, or Amendola opposite?
One TE or two?
Three interior OL spots wholly uncertain.

Who starts at D-line?
Is it a 3-4 or 4-3?
Is Hightower a "starting LB?" He's not been prominent in the preseason.
Safety opposite McCourty could be Wilson, Chung, Harmon, or even Arrington or Ryan.
Corner opposite Revis is probably Dennard, but not certainly.

The last several years the majority of the starting offense and defense was pretty clear.

I would put Arrington down as starting S2 (SS), and Harmon or Ryan as NB. Chung in limited run-support safety. Would not be surprised to see Easley as the 2nd DL.

I have Chung in as the running down safety and Harmon as the passing down safety. As for Arrington v. Dennard, I think Dennard will have had enough time to get back up to speed, but we'll have to see.

I think this team has the most uncertainty at "starting" positions as any we have seen in recent history.

Who is the "starting RB?" Vereen, Ridley?
Starting receivers? Edeleman is clear - but do they go LaFell, Dobson, or Amendola opposite?
One TE or two?
Three interior OL spots wholly uncertain.

Who starts at D-line?
Is it a 3-4 or 4-3?
Is Hightower a "starting LB?" He's not been prominent in the preseason.
Safety opposite McCourty could be Wilson, Chung, Harmon, or even Arrington or Ryan.
Corner opposite Revis is probably Dennard, but not certainly.

The last several years the majority of the starting offense and defense was pretty clear.
I think that is a strength of this team. Sure, fantasy football fans might not like it, but it's a huge advantage when dealing with injuries and opponents trying to game plan us.

I have Chung in as the running down safety and Harmon as the passing down safety. As for Arrington v. Dennard, I think Dennard will have had enough time to get back up to speed, but we'll have to see.

Is that running down as in "running down from behind"?

My thinking behind putting Arrington at SS is how much reps he's taken at that spot over the duration of preseason/TC. When we go to nickel, I think we'll see either Harmon or Ryan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes