Welcome to PatsFans.com

Only an anecdotal instance?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Sep 30, 2009.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I had an interesting experience yesterday with a church member yesterday. I work about a half a block from a Christian Church. A co-worker was going out for a smoke break and I went along to shoot the breeze and to get something I had left in my car. My co-worker began having a conversation with a guy from the church a minute or two before I was able to join them. The church guy was explaining how they received funds and food to help feed the homeless. Apparently someone counts the number of plates used for meals (or at least claimed are used for meals). The number he gave was168 plates. He then explained that really only about 60 are really used and “everyone” does it and they are helping people so “why does it matter?” My co-worker buddy then asked him if there were really 60 homeless people that ate there. He said no, there were probably 15 or 20 regulars but the rest were just lower income folks taking advantage of the food. Then get this. He offers a lunch for me and my co-worker right then and there. We declined saying that we couldn’t take food from more needy people. He responded with “hey believe me….they eat better than you do!”

My co-worker friend and I wondered how flawed the homeless stats are that are used to get funding from tax payers. In this case 168 homeless are counted but there were actually only 15 to 20.

I know there’s lots of red meat for partisans to chew on here whether you want to cry about government waste or corrupt churches but that was not the point of this. I just wonder how widespread this type of “accounting” is.
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

This is no different than the Faith Based Initiative gravy train, consider the Katrina response.. first they pass the basket and buy all kinds of supplies and then send it down there.. then the church can petition the gov't for reimbursement for the supplies they bought.. but all this makes some people feel real good, when all that is happening is they are getting fleeced big time in the name of religion.

This crap happens all the time under the veil of the common good, and is really no different than what Haliburton, Xe, Wackenhut and the rest of the military industrial complex does on a daily basis.. there is not as much oversight as there should be.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

.....Acorn.....
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

Look at this fleecing Pats, and then multiply it by every program, or agency, that the gubmit funds, or gives money to. The guy you talked to was right about one thing, and that's that "everyone" does it. Of course, you and me pay.

We need smaller gubmit people.
  5. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

And how should we feel when politicians accuse anyone who wants to cut back these abused programs as being hateful and mean spirited towards the disadvantaged?

You know what? If someone is addressing a room full of politicans and someone stands up and says "liar" maybe he shouldn't feel like he's being singled out. After all how does he know which one of them in the room he was talking about?
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

Guess you did not read my post, and just reacted.. I was commenting on the "Double Dipping" of churches, they all did fine with their charity work, before the faith based initiative then they could get reimbursed for the money they already collected... seems incongruous that they are reimbursed for their basic mission... see Katrina.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2009