PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Only 2 QBs on 53-man roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacecrime

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Could we carry only two QBs this year.

Yeah, Flutie hasn't made up his mind, and I kind of expect him to go one more year in search of a SB ring, but we could conceivably carry 2 QBs

Normally, the Pats carry a QB, a backup QB, and a developmental QB. Matt Cassel (everyone bow their heads at mention of his name) is certainly our developmental QB. Might he also be our backup QB? If he is our backup QB, do we need to carry a developmental QB? Develop for what? Planning for Cassel's (bow heads) retirement in 2020?

Unless most here, I like Martin G., and can see the Pat carrying 2 kickers for at least part of the season.

Any thoughts?

We have a third right now... Todd Mortenson... I do see a Vet... Look for Jay Fiedler to sign , if healthy... Maybee Kerry Collins , I doubt it though...

Box - what's your impression of Mortenson's game so far over in NFLE? Saw him a little bit in the loss yesterday and he looked decent.

Flutie! Flutie! Flutie! (Just to make Garbanza's head explode) :p

Sean Pa Patriot said:
I do see a Vet... Look for Jay Fiedler to sign , if healthy... ...
Brady goes down in week 8 with a broken leg. Who do you want to comein? Fiedler? Or Cassel? If Cassel, then why even draft Fiedler. Plus, he will be home all season anyway should we need him.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Flutie! Flutie! Flutie! (Just to make Garbanza's head explode) :p
Theres about an 80% chance that Flutie comes back. Im dead serious, why else wouldnt they have signed a QB already.

SeanBruschi54 said:
Theres about an 80% chance that Flutie comes back. Im dead serious, why else wouldnt they have signed a QB already.
You know, I was really against signing him, I thought he'd be a total distraction and want to start.

But I was wrong. He's been a great backup. And drop-kicker. Now I actually hope he signs becasue I'd like to see him get a ring.

Who's of thunk it?

spacecrime said:
You know, I was really against signing him, I thought he'd be a total distraction and want to start.

But I was wrong. He's been a great backup. And drop-kicker. Now I actually hope he signs becasue I'd like to see him get a ring.

Who's of thunk it?
Yup, I'm with you. Didn't want him here, but he was a fine token vet QB that we seem to "need" on the team. I would be fine with him coming back in that roll again.

Last edited:
Also another great thing about Flutie is he's a great QB copier in practice. He can play any role you want him to from Vick to Bledsoe so that it gives our defense a similar look as to what they're going to be facing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes