PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Only 1 maybee 2 reasons that a uncapped yr that beniftis the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Deion Branch and Daniel Graham wont be unstricted Free Agents.. We have right of first refusal to them.. I may be wrong , but if that is the case then we have them for a while....

Sean Pa Patriot said:
Deion Branch and Daniel Graham wont be unstricted Free Agents.. We have right of first refusal to them.. I may be wrong , but if that is the case then we have them for a while....

I'd make the case that we'd retain them even if they were UFAs - but thanks for trying to look on the bright side.

(...but other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?")

believe me there is not much a bright side, I hope alot people like yourself realise this.. So much for the optimism that fileted at the beginning of the week, it is all gloom and doom...

In addition, if there is no new CBA, the final 8 teams form the 2006 season get two franchise and two transition tags they can use in the uncapped year.

That means Seymour will likely remain a Pat, at least thru 2007.

Sean Pa Patriot said:
believe me there is not much a bright side, I hope alot people like yourself realise this.. So much for the optimism that fileted at the beginning of the week, it is all gloom and doom...

However thinly sliced (fileted) the optimism was at the beginning of the week (! ?) ... we should look at a possible free-for-all NFL in two distinct ways.

Globally, Rozelle's beloved parity would go a-glimmering. MLB indeed would come to the NFL. The games and the season would not be as competitive ... not as much fun ... not as productive for cardiologists. Yes, "gloom and doom" in that sense.

But provincially ... our team's fate no longer depends upon Sullivan, Kiam, or Orthwein. It is the Robert Kraft Patriots. Having had (in my misspent youth) firsthand experience with being a Yankee fan ... i can tell you that that isn't so bad a station in life at all. Winning more than your fair share is fun, too. Bob Kraft's team will win more than its fair share if the gloves come off.

Reminds me that once i was testifying under oath in a certain governmental proceeding on a business matter. The question was put, "You wouldn't want to take unfair advantage of a situation, would you?"

I answered, "Sir, i'll be glad to take any unfair advantage i can!" Kraft's Pats will have an unfair advantage in some brave old world without a salary cap.

flutie2phelan said:
However thinly sliced (fileted) the optimism was at the beginning of the week (! ?) ... we should look at a possible free-for-all NFL in two distinct ways.

Globally, Rozelle's beloved parity would go a-glimmering. MLB indeed would come to the NFL. The games and the season would not be as competitive ... not as much fun ... not as productive for cardiologists. Yes, "gloom and doom" in that sense.

But provincially ... our team's fate no longer depends upon Sullivan, Kiam, or Orthwein. It is the Robert Kraft Patriots. Having had (in my misspent youth) firsthand experience with being a Yankee fan ... i can tell you that that isn't so bad a station in life at all. Winning more than your fair share is fun, too. Bob Kraft's team will win more than its fair share if the gloves come off.

Reminds me that once i was testifying under oath in a certain governmental proceeding on a business matter. The question was put, "You wouldn't want to take unfair advantage of a situation, would you?"

I answered, "Sir, i'll be glad to take any unfair advantage i can!" Kraft's Pats will have an unfair advantage in some brave old world without a salary cap.

Lots of people will lose interest if it goes by the way the of baseball. That is why I cant watch MLB anymore, it's just not exciting watching the Red Sox vs. Royals, or Red Sox Vs. Devil Rays. OOOOH Real riveting action there.

This is nothing but bad for the sport/league we love.

tailgater said:
In addition, if there is no new CBA, the final 8 teams form the 2006 season get two franchise and two transition tags they can use in the uncapped year.

That means Seymour will likely remain a Pat, at least thru 2007.
That's interesting !! I hadn't seen that. Now that would be some serious leverage on a few players who might otherwise be set for a windfall in a capped year (eg Seymour). Interesting.

Curran just said on the Big Show that they AREN'T restricted, because they were drafted in 2002, not 2003 (Koppen, Warren, Samuel, Wilson, Johnson, TBC, et al. are, however).

tailgater said:

That is incorrect.

Each team in an uncapped year can name two transistion players or a franchise player AND a transistion player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes