PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

One week later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good thread......this the Monday after the Monday after the brutal opening Sunday (worst win ever).

Sky did not fall..........

Cassel did not fail, he managed the game ,played within himself and led the team to victory. Every game he plays in - he learns and hopefully gets better and better. Maybe next week, he sees a little more and hits a few more open guys. Maybe he hits RM in stride. Who knows.

Well, the good news is that it is the Miami secondary. :)

Not sure why there is so much hate for Brett either. Guy loves to play and still has a cannon. He is a lot of fun to watch, and IMO is good for the NFL.

Agreed, those three runs were dumb, but I think Mangini was hoping to keep the picks away and knew he was playing a very fired up and SKILLED defense.

I'm having a tough time imagining even the most chilled out Jets fan having had a lot of fun watching him play last night. In fact many of them are probably still nursing shredded cuticles from biting their fingernails right off last week.

Well, given that the game time temperature was 90°F (32°C), I think he was a beast in the fourth quarter because he was kept on the shelf in the first half.

Ah, thanks. I missed that (I watched the game this evening online and didn't take any notice of the weather report).

Whenever things look down, count on AJ for the most optimistic side of things.

(I mean this is a good way.)

LOL. Cassell outplays Favre, he's better than Manning. Send the Lombardi east!!!!

Cassell didn't outplay anyone yesterday. Your team played well against what appears to be a not so well coached team. Why you take the ball out of Brett's hands inside the 5 is beyond me. Not sure why there is so much hate for Brett either. Guy loves to play and still has a cannon. He is a lot of fun to watch, and IMO is good for the NFL.

Cassel played better than Favre. Aside from it hurting your feelings, it is simply a fact.

LOL. Cassell outplays Favre, he's better than Manning. Send the Lombardi east!!!!

Cassell didn't outplay anyone yesterday. Your team played well against what appears to be a not so well coached team. Why you take the ball out of Brett's hands inside the 5 is beyond me. Not sure why there is so much hate for Brett either. Guy loves to play and still has a cannon. He is a lot of fun to watch, and IMO is good for the NFL.
Well, I don't know if Favre playing for the Jets is good for the NFL or not, but it's GREAT for the Pats and Bills!

And Cassel did play better than Favre. The Pats outplayed the Jets in every position across the board with the possible exception of the punter.

Cassel played better than Favre. Aside from it hurting your feelings, it is simply a fact.
Uh....what?

Cassell may have managed the game better, which is a testament to the coaching staff. He didn't make mistakes to lose the game, but numbers wise, they were pretty close. I don't have all the stats, but it appeared as though Cassel got many of his yards from his skill position players AFTER the catch. Welker and Faulk accounted for 122 of the 163 yards. It was virtually all YAC. In contrast, Favre at least moved the ball vertically with bigger plays up field. NE was 6-14 on 3rd down conversions. Jets 6-12. NE at least GOT to the Red Zone more often, but they were 1-5 in conversions, Jets were 1-3. We will never know, but taking the ball out of your HOF qb's hands inside the 5 was dumb, dumb, dumb. Favre took that big sack late, up to that point, it was 3 sacks for Cassell, 1 for Favre. Make no mistake, there Mr. Johnson. NE OUTCOACHED the Jets, but Cassell did not outplay Favre...it is simply fact.

Cassel did very well and did not have to do much... I hope each week he improves... If we cant win the super bowl, i just hope we can beat the jets 1 more time..

Contrary to NY media reports, the Jets aren't a good team. Adding Favre, who had a 70.9 and 72.7 rating in 05 and 06, doesn't change things for them appreciably. We have SD, DEN, IND, and BUF coming up. If Cassel conquers those teams, I'll applaud heartily. It's still to early to declare that we're fine without Brady.

Uh....what?

Cassell may have managed the game better, which is a testament to the coaching staff. He didn't make mistakes to lose the game, but numbers wise, they were pretty close. I don't have all the stats, but it appeared as though Cassel got many of his yards from his skill position players AFTER the catch. Welker and Faulk accounted for 122 of the 163 yards. It was virtually all YAC. In contrast, Favre at least moved the ball vertically with bigger plays up field. NE was 6-14 on 3rd down conversions. Jets 6-12. NE at least GOT to the Red Zone more often, but they were 1-5 in conversions, Jets were 1-3. We will never know, but taking the ball out of your HOF qb's hands inside the 5 was dumb, dumb, dumb. Favre took that big sack late, up to that point, it was 3 sacks for Cassell, 1 for Favre. Make no mistake, there Mr. Johnson. NE OUTCOACHED the Jets, but Cassell did not outplay Favre...it is simply fact.
Apparently you are such a rump swab that you miss the facts here...
you are talking about yards after the catch..well your binkie got TON of yards like that as well. The 54 yarder to Coles was a very short pass...the same for the 20 to Cotchery and the 28 to Stuckey..so PLEASE do not try to claim that about Favre. This WAS NOT the case Sunday..so do NOT distort the facts. Favre was embarrassing with how HE managed the game... and if you wish to take your binkie over Mr Cassel in their performance Sunday, fine, but it shows how little you know. We are talking about ONE GAME..and Cassel was king last Sunday..clearly!! Fabre is a great QB..but if he plays that way weekly, the Jets will not have many wins.

Last edited:
Damn, I was looking for another week of people calling to sign Daunte Culpepper.

Apparently you are such a rump swab that you miss the facts here...
you are talking about yards after the catch..well your binkie got TON of yards like that as well. The 54 yarder to Coles was a very short pass...the same for the 20 to Cotchery and the 28 to Stuckey..so PLEASE do not try to claim that about Favre. This WAS NOT the case Sunday..so do NOT distort the facts. Favre was embarrassing with how HE managed the game... and if you wish to take your binkie over Mr Cassel in their performance Sunday, fine, but it shows how little you know. We are talking about ONE GAME..and Cassel was king last Sunday..clearly!! Fabre is a great QB..but if he plays that way weekly, the Jets will not have many wins.

Where do you find the stats on the length of the throws? Look, Cassell dinked and dunked, just like TB before Moss came around. Kudos to the staff for the gameplan, and management of Cassell, but IMO, I don't think you can say he outplayed Fabre.

Rump Swab? Quiet, you are starting to look like a baby, who cannot handle an opposing point of view. Very unbecoming.

Last edited:
how much are all of last weeks doom and gloom comments changed by Matt Cassel outplaying Brett Favre?
Someone will probably accuse you of suggesting that Cassel is a better QB than Favre, but whether it's true or not, it's irrelevent, and you're point is well taken. This was not about Cassel vs Favre, it was about team football, the Pats vs the Jets, and clearly, even with these two in the mix, the Patraiots are still the far better team.

Through the first two weeks of the 2008 season Matt Cassel is a top 10 QB in the conference by QB rating. Former USC roomate Carson Palmer ranks 32nd. That other guy he backed up at USC is riding the pine behind 87 year old Curt Warner.

Farve checks in at #9, though he was outperformed by Cassel head to head in their week 2 matchup by this metric...

Favre has scored 2 more TD's, but both came courtesy of our week 3 opponents so stay tuned. Both have been sacked a total of 5 times. In fact 6 of the top 10 rated QB's have 4 or more sacks through week 2. Four have thrown INTS. One has thrown an INT and committed 2 fumbles - I'll let you guess who. Of course another top ten'er threw two and fumbled two in last nights ratings bonanza...

NFL Stats: by Player Category

Uh....what?

You seem to be ignoring the CRUCIAL int that Favre threw.
If everything else is equal as you suggest (although I think that Cassel actually played better aside from it) Cassel outplayed Favre because Favre threw the bad int.

Through the first two weeks of the 2008 season Matt Cassel is a top 10 QB in the conference by QB rating. Former USC roomate Carson Palmer ranks 32nd. That other guy he backed up at USC is riding the pine behind 87 year old Curt Warner.

Wow. That's actually pretty impressive. He's the least experienced guy on the list, too. It's a little known fact, but he's only started ONE game since high school... :D

Top ten W vs. L:

Ben R. - 2 wins
Kurt W. - 2 wins
Phil R. - 2 Losses
Jay C. - 2 Wins
Aaron R. - 2 Wins
Donovan M. - 1 Win, 1 Loss
Tiny Remo - 2 Wins
Trent E. - 2 Wins
Bert Favray - 1 Win. 1 Loss
Matty See, Matty Do - 2 Wins

So there are 4 losses in the top ten.
Seems like you don't have to score a billion points a game to win, eh?
But really, you probably should. :rolleyes:

Uh....what?

Cassell may have managed the game better, which is a testament to the coaching staff. He didn't make mistakes to lose the game, but numbers wise, they were pretty close. I don't have all the stats, but it appeared as though Cassel got many of his yards from his skill position players AFTER the catch. Welker and Faulk accounted for 122 of the 163 yards. It was virtually all YAC.
Watch the game again. A few of Favre's passes were on the money, but many more were fluttering wounded ducks. Cassel's passes were crisp and accurate. And you gloss over the biggest reason why Favre won't cut it: Cassel didn't make mistakes to lose the game, and Favre did. Would you really rather have six or seven miraculous throws followed by one mistake that loses you the game?

NE at least GOT to the Red Zone more often, but they were 1-5 in conversions, Jets were 1-3.
New England scored every time they went into the red zone. Even without the TD, you lost the game.

We will never know, but taking the ball out of your HOF qb's hands inside the 5 was dumb, dumb, dumb.
So you are saying that losing 19-10 was bad, but losing 12-10 is acceptable? Maybe for you.

NE OUTCOACHED the Jets, but Cassell did not outplay Favre...it is simply fact.
Unless Mangini was wearing Favre's jersey when he lost the game for you, Favre was indeed outplayed by Cassel. He was also pretty much outplayed by Pennington. The difference was that Favre lucked out on two Hail Mary heaves and Pennington didn't.

Your season is trashed. If you don't realize it now, you will in a couple of weeks.

Some other Jet troll came here bragging about Favre when you signed him. I said at the time, and I say it again. This is one time when I agree with Jets fans. You are glad the Jets have Favre and so am I.

He will tease you with circus throws then break your heart with bone-headed plays.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Watch the game again. A few of Favre's passes were on the money, but many more were fluttering wounded ducks. Cassel's passes were crisp and accurate. And you gloss over the biggest reason why Favre won't cut it: Cassel didn't make mistakes to lose the game, and Favre did. Would you really rather have six or seven miraculous throws followed by one mistake that loses you the game?

New England scored every time they went into the red zone. Even without the TD, you lost the game.

So you are saying that losing 19-10 was bad, but losing 12-10 is acceptable? Maybe for you.

Unless Mangini was wearing Favre's jersey when he lost the game for you, Favre was indeed outplayed by Cassel. He was also pretty much outplayed by Pennington. The difference was that Favre lucked out on two Hail Mary heaves and Pennington didn't.

Your season is trashed. If you don't realize it now, you will in a couple of weeks.

Some other Jet troll came here bragging about Favre when you signed him. I said at the time, and I say it again. This is one time when I agree with Jets fans. You are glad the Jets have Favre and so am I.

He will tease you with circus throws then break your heart with bone-headed plays.

Enjoy.
Dude, I am not a Jets fan, not a Packer fan. I just don't think Favre was outplayed. The conversions (I assume) mean TD's. Each team scored a TD inside the Red Zone. Not my stat, got it from CBS or Fox. Just reviewing game numbers to compare what each did. Cassell played well within that system. Good at hitting those short flares/screens. You know, dinks and dunks. Don't get me wrong, I think you guys will win a lot of games with him, but it won't be because he is outplaying everybody, it will be a total team effort.

Dude, I am not a Jets fan, not a Packer fan. I just don't think Favre was outplayed. The conversions (I assume) mean TD's. Each team scored a TD inside the Red Zone. Not my stat, got it from CBS or Fox. Just reviewing game numbers to compare what each did. Cassell played well within that system. Good at hitting those short flares/screens. You know, dinks and dunks. Don't get me wrong, I think you guys will win a lot of games with him, but it won't be because he is outplaying everybody, it will be a total team effort.

Colt fans usually claim stats don't lie, unless they say Brady is better than Manning...LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back