PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

One thing different about this year compared to the last 2 'One And Done' years......

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
The difference,at least before the team plays a playoff game is that the past 2 years the team had gone undefeated at Gillette in the regular season....yep 2009 and 2010 were years the Pats went undefeated at home in the RS but were surprised both years in the playoffs.

Well thanks to the Giants, the team has gotten that home loss out of the way....if you want something to use for an extra grasp of hope that the Pats won't lose in the first playoff game this year.....this is it.

It's been 3 years since the team lost 2 games at Gillette in a season and 5 years with Brady at the helm since 2008 was Cassel's year.

So for all you One And Done prognosticators,there is hope.....

Last edited:
Re: One thing different about this year compared to the last 2 'One And Done' years..

...and this team has the abilities to make adjustments during the game, not just jump out to a lead and hold on for dear life at the end of the game.

Re: One thing different about this year compared to the last 2 'One And Done' years..

The difference now compared to the last 2 "one and dones" is the offensive line. This offensive line is much better than it was the last 2 years and I specifically speak of the right side of the line. Solder and Waters are much, much better than the Connelly/Vollmer combo of the last two years and this will be the key difference.

The Jets/Ravens home PO meltdowns were both attributed to the line and Brady getting rattled early in both games. As we all know, the way to get to TB is to get to him early and this happened against the Jets/Ravens, he got shell-shocked early and his confidence and ability to focus was impacted by this, no one can doubt that. This time around, with a much more stable right side and Light playing very well on that left side, things will be different.

I actually hope the Pats bring back the throw-backs for their playoff run just to shake things up. Call me crazy, but they seem to always play well when they wear the red and white.

6 seed vs 3 seed, Bengals @ Texans,
5 seed vs 4 seed, Steelers @ Broncos,

if cincy wins they are comeing to new england, if houston and denver win it will be denver if houston and pit win it will be the steelers comeing to new england,

denver is not going to beat the steelers so it's cincy or pit...the Bengals cant beat the pats and if the steelers come to new england and try to use that same game plan of man to man press Hernandez will rip them a new one because he is now at 100% the pats are not going to go one and done this year

I believe that one of the two teams that backed into the playoffs on a 3 game losing streak,but yet managed to win thier division is going to win Sunday.

That's either Houston or Denver....maybe both could win.

This year's version has shown in the last few games the ability to take some tough shots from the opponent and come back. The Broncos, Phins, and Bills all gave it their best shot early, the Pats took it like a champion prize fighter, and then proceeded to pummel the other team. This years version has an offense that doesn't wilt, and a defense that somehow finds a way to shut down the opponent. Their potential playoff opponents in the AFC, none of them have high powered offenses that can keep the pressure on. I feel confident, this year's version will represent Pats nation well.

It's the growth of AH/Gronk

MHK

10 chars.

It almost seems like the offense executes better when they are playing with a sense of urgency. Maybe it is time to take the handcuffs off Brady and let him call all the plays at the LOS.

I thought the defense played pretty well after the last Bills touchdown.

The thing I never bank or even buy into is a historical perspective. It makes no difference how many home games a team has historically lost or won, no difference in that team X has never lost a Y game before. Kind of like when the announcer states this qb hasn't had an interception in #games. You can bet the farm he's going to be picked. Just sayin.

The main difference I see, this team is mentally tough. Something that will most likely come into play during the playoffs. They don't seem to panic

I don't see the OP's point as being valid

that said, I believe this team has become prepared to execute when everyone in the building knows they're going to pass.....

the steelers will have to be exposed against either hernandez or gronk. the're not going to be able to have harrison and woodley simply pin their ears back and go after the QB as the numbers will be very much against their favor the pats if the 2 OLB's cant get to brady untouched.

don't be suprised to see the forgotten deion branch as a factor......he's historically done well against the steelers.

I think the steelers would better prepare the pats for the ravens.

Those 2 teams were front runners. This team can play and win from behind.

....is that we haven't played the game yet so we're not one a done!

One area that it is night and day is adjustments. This team gets better as the game goes on. The previous two years, the Pats tended to get huge leads in the first half and kinda coast the rest of the game. This team has resilience and gets better and better as the game goes on. I don't have the numbers, but in the last six or seven games, the Pats have gotten something like 200 yards to seven in the third quarter.

I felt that the 2010 team had a good chance if they didn't run into the jets and their ridiculous coverage that shut down peyton manning and us. That coverage couldn't stop the mobile rothlisberger and brady wasn't willing to run last year(maybe the foot injury). Also Brady is known for his come from behind wins in his career but i always felt that the 2010 brady had no chance of victory if we were down by 10 or more. Our offense would just stall.

The 09 team just sucked offensively. I don't think i have ever seen a more predictable offense. I could call basically every bubble screen and if I could do it just imagine the opposing defense.

This year's squad is as offensively clutch as I have seen since the knee injury. I think we have problem's at wr(branch, ocho) but we have made it work so far. The biggest wild card is our d.

One area that it is night and day is adjustments. This team gets better as the game goes on. The previous two years, the Pats tended to get huge leads in the first half and kinda coast the rest of the game. This team has resilience and gets better and better as the game goes on. I don't have the numbers, but in the last six or seven games, the Pats have gotten something like 200 yards to seven in the third quarter.

Excellent point!

Don't discount the mediocrity of any potential opponent the Pats may face as well. The AFC is weak this year.

Denver has no business in the playoffs coming out of the conference that DEFINES mediocrity. They are running a clown show at the QB position.

The Bungles got the ultimate backdoor job into the playoffs and are only good enough for 3rd place in their own division. They are running a rookie at the QB position.

Houston was legit up to week 8. They limp into the playoffs with 3 straight losses to horrid teams. They are running an either injured rookie or geriatric journeyman at the QB position.

Pittsburgh is everyone's darling of "balance" but their #1 ranked defense clearly carries that team. They have a middle of the pack ranked offense that averages 20ppg. They have gotten blown out twice on the road this year. They are running a fat, injured tool at the QB position.

Baltimore is terrible on the road this year, losing to terrible teams. Their season always seems to revolve around beating Pittsburgh, not winning the SB. They limp into the playoffs after having their doors blown off in SD, and having the lowly Browns and Bungles take them to the wire the last two weeks. They are running the guy that CAN NOT beat Pittsburgh when it counts at the QB position.

Pats have a great shot this year.

Last edited:

Last year we had 2 rookie TE's Woody a 2nd year player with little experience and Welker, coming off a knee injury(wasn't 100% all season). That Coupled with new schemes from Rex's D dampened our Offensive production.

Playoff stats vs jets

Gronk..........4rec 65yds 0tds

Woody.........6rec 52yds 0tds 14carries 46yds 3.3avg 0tds

Hernandez....1rec 4yds 0tds(injured)

Welker.........5rec 34yds 0tds

This year we're stacked at RB, Wes is 100% and the TE's are more experienced and healthy. Not sure any defensive surprises in the PO's will hold this offense down for 4 full qtrs.

The difference will hopefully be health. The Ravens took advantage of Welker being out and Wilfork/Warren being hobbled. The Jets had no answer for Hernandez but he was hurt last year.

If Mankins, Vollmer, Ninkovich and White are healthy in 2 weeks, the Pats should be in good shape. Brady's bumps/bruises seem less severe than normal. For the first time in a long time, the Pats should enter a playoff game with few if any physical limitations.

The other factor that I believe will be important is that opponents will have little useful video to prepare for the Pats. The defense played very vanilla for the majority of the season so they will likely be showing something entirely new for their playoff games. The offense shows infinite looks and still has some unused weapons (think screens like against the Eagles in the SB).

So look for Belichick to scheme up some winners and the Pats being healthy enough to execute them. With the only QBs between them and the SB being Dalton (rookie), Roethlisberger (hobbled), Tebow (RB), Yates (hobbled rookie) and Flacco (scatter-armed), the Pats shouldn't face an offense that can mount enough of a passing attack in the wind and cold to win a shootout. The NFC poses a whole 'nother level of challenge, but that is for another day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots