Welcome to PatsFans.com

One problem with the Big Dow

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

It's largely happening due to the weak dollar. U.S. stocks have become a real bargain for investors inside and -- even more so -- OUTSIDE the nation. A cheap dollar vs other currencies makes US stocks a good buy. Problem is: the weak dollar doesn't help dollar owners to purchase as much.

//
  2. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

This dow record is misleading. Adjusted for inflation, it is worth less than it was in 2000.
  3. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

More partisan nonsense. The brand new record is indicative of a very strong economy, and there are no signs it will be slowing down anytime soon.

By the way, are you still not man enough to admit you were wrong about the US orchestrating the kidmapping of 15 British sailors and marines...?
  4. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,273 / 9 / -7

#75 Jersey

1) The Dow is made up of 30 companies, anyone who is being serious about the US stock market looks at the S+P 500.

2) Dow 13,000 means zilch except for the media. The percentage rate of return is far more important than some arbitrary index number.

3) Read Fogbuster's post up top.

4) We have more foreign ownership of our stocks and bonds than before. We better be competitive in the future or else. OR ELSE. Think wasting $700 billion on Iraq and exploding the national debt is going to help our nation's long-term infrastructure and business competitiveness? Would be nice to have an administration that cares about our country for the long-term.

5) That being said, the real good news that is being missed in all the 13k talk is the fact that the P/E ratios of the S+P500 are right now around 15. That is closer to the historic norms of the past 100 years than we've been in over a decade and signals a strong foundation (and reason) to this stock market level.
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I heard about that!
    It didn't happen, though. Those Brits were taken aboard a German U-Boat - The Yanks had nothing to do with it! :rocker:
  6. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -11

http://www.cmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070421/REPOSITORY/704210318/1028/OPINION02

Look at the latest astonishing estimates from economists Emmanuel Saez of the University of California at Berkeley and Thomas Piketty of the Paris School of Economics. They find that the richest 10 percent of the population received 44 percent of the pretax income in 2005. This was the highest since the 1920s and 1930s (average: 44 percent) and much higher than from 1945 to 1980 (average: 32 percent).

But the biggest gains occurred among the richest 1 percent. Their share of pretax income has gradually climbed from 8 percent in 1980 to 17 percent in 2005. Indeed, many others in the top 10 percent seem mainly upper middle class. For example, those in the richest 90th to 95th percentiles had average incomes of about $110,000.

In my opinion this wealth disparity has been a goal of Republican racists; to protect the landed elite, the old white families who are slowly losing power to an increasingly integrated and multicultural electorate. They're stocking away their money, moving it overseas, so that they can use it to manipulate and blackmail the economy when necessary. They support Bush's war because it helps the stock market, despite the absence of a broader economic plan.

Of course, QuiGon merely looks at the big numbers and says, "Gee, I see that the stock market is up, so the economy is doing great." But, any person with a soul understands the only measure of an economy is how it is benefiting its people. I think Bush has given us a mediocre economy, with a strong stock market driven by the weak dollar and deficit spending. I think many people are left out in the cold. A lot of the people I know are blue collar types -- plumbers, electricians, etc. They all express dissatisfaction with the economy, complaining that the price of materials is going up and jobs are paying less.
  7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +508 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Sigh. You people are just scared of people creating wealth and not being dependent on the governmet.

Patters, you are a disgrace to all moderators. Race and class baiting all the time, you suck.

maverick4, I'd love to see how you get those numbers but the S&P 500 is up 8% annually since 1997 (don't have since 2000 specificallY), 6% annually since 2002 and 10% annually since 2004 - those are all WAY above inflation.

schmessy, Dow 13K does mean something - everyone says it doesn't but then those barriers are tough to break through. Look at S&P 1500, that's a big one to break through and they couldn't get themselves to do it today; it was like a brick wall when they got within 5 points.
  8. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Hehehehe... what a smart cookie...

Yep, the economy is SOOOOO good.

Keep on staring at the sun... gutterball.

WwwwwwHhhhhhOoooooAaaaaa...
  9. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Hey dude... I have some Enron stock that you would love to invest in.

It's killer dude...

Right now, it's a penny stock, but I guarantee that it'll go to the moon anyday now...

baby bush is on the board of directors, so you know it's gonna rock'n'roll...
  10. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Ever heard of the big three????

They would'nt be laying any people off, would they?

How about Citigroup?

NAH, no public company would be fudging the numbers... would they????
  11. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I guess if you own the big companies (Halliburton, Lockheed Martin, Washington Construction, Dynacorp, etc.) that are in Iraq, then you ARE doing well, but many of the other business'es over here, are forced to move the middle class over to China, Mexico, and India (there are other contries as well).

You have one, use it...
  12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +508 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Layoffs and outsourcing suck. Sure. But more jobs - and, yes, good ones - are being created. It's the way the economy works, old jobs move out, new jobs move in. It's a totally natural process.
  13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +508 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

You can scare yourself and others all you like but if you stay out of the market you're costing yourself a lot of money. Your choice I guess, but the best move anyone can make if they have a little money is between buying a house at the right time or getting it into a nicely diversified mutual fund.
  14. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Oh, I do invest my money...

Here IS a good thing to look into:

implantable chips. I guarantee this IS the future.

China. Sad but true, this country IS the future.

I do read. I do my due diligence (sp).

I'm not going to ist companies... but this tip is easily worth hundreds of thousands of dollars (or much more).
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  15. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Gold, silver, or carefully selected mining companies would be a good shelter for your dough as well...

Gold is a little much now, but, still prolly a good investment.
  16. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

A blanket statement like this makes me wonder: are you a Bush basher or Bush supporter??

//