Welcome to PatsFans.com

One positive about today...Reche

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by BradyManny, Nov 12, 2006.

1. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Caldwell is completely exceeding my expectations of what I had hoped we'd get from him. I thought this guy was going to be a solid #3, but he's more. I was definitely skeptical of playing Reche every down, but he's proving me wrong, he's outplayed Gabriel and proven to be Brady's most reliable open target, especially around the 1st down marker.

He's made a lot of improvement since week 1 and in 4 games since the bye week, he has 22 catches for 217 yards and 2 TDs.
  2. Sean Pa Patriot

Sean Pa Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Yes he was solid today, but the negative was Doug Gabrial , who they were grooming as the number 1 reciever.. was benched, and not to mention the 1 catch Chad Jackson performence once again today, why are we wasting Tom Brady's golden yrs..
  3. Remix 6

Remix 6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

reche played great. hes been getting confidence from the short routes. Gaffney impressed me today too. Gabriel had the nice play but then killed it with a fumble. Chad was there a lot..more on run plays but hopefully getting his way onto the field more. we need him on 3rd down or the spread like we used quiet a few times this year. hes just too good of an athlete to keep hiden on the sideline
  4. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Wasting Tom Brady's golden years? This is probably the deepest receiving corps he's had. Things haven't clicked yet, I don't know why, but there's still time.

And I hate to be a stickler, but Jackson had 2 catches. I wish they'd put him in for more passing situations - the majority of the time he just comes in to block - surprising b/c I didn't think blocking was a strong point, but it seems he puts in a good effort in that aspect.

Like I said in another thread, they continue to slowly work CJ into the offense - that's fine for now. But down the road, they are going to need to start taking advantage of his raw talent and physical abilities. He has more upside than any receiver on this team, and come playoff time, it's up to both him and the coaching staff to find a way to realize that upside.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

Caldwell looked good. As did Gaffney - great catch on the pass behind him. Of course, Gabriel looked good until the fumble - could he have been benched just because of that ? Faulk has no problem fumbling and staying on the field.
  6. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I agree.

I'm not yet at the point where I'm ready to complain about the coaches use of CJ. There's always a certain balance between the fact that a player has to earn his playing time and that to have the ability to earn playing time, a player needs game experience. It's the whole chicken and egg thing - at some point you just have to let the guy play and learn in order to be good enough to deserve playing time.

But I trust BB to know when a youngster is ready - like he said the other day, just look at Ty Warren. The Pats have a pretty darn good track record at developing their youth...[OT: don't get me started on the C's right now.]
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  7. Remix 6

Remix 6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Faulk also made a really nice 1 handed diving catch to get us in 4th and inches
  8. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

You're absolutely right. I'm pretty happy with Caldwell after some pretty low expectations. Since we chose to leave two of our best offensive weapons on the sidelines today (Jackson and Gabriel) for no good reason whatsoever, it was nice to see Caldwell make some plays. His consistency is impressive.
  9. frankiesfly

frankiesfly Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

BRADYMANNY wrote this is probably the deepest recieving corps that brady has ever had. After i read that i never laughed harder. Are you sure about that? If you think this recieving corps is deeper than, givens, patten, branch, and brown then you never watched patriot football. SERIOUSLY
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  10. Fencer

Fencer Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

It's a good thing Reche didn't get benched for fumbling the way he did in SD or Gabriel apparently did today here.

Yes, he's been a nice pickup.
  11. MDPATSFAN

MDPATSFAN Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Meanwhile down in New Orleans, 7th round rookie Marques Colston has amassed 869 receiving yards and 7 TDs.
  12. kurtinelson

kurtinelson Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

The Pats could have had him.
  13. sieglo

sieglo Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I really hope the Pats are trying to develop Maroney's pass-catching skills. Because if he can learn to catch passes out of the backfield, it will add an even more explosive element to his game.
  14. sieglo

sieglo Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I really hope the Pats are trying to develop Maroney's pass-catching skills. Because if he can learn to catch passes out of the backfield, it will add an even more explosive element to his game.
  15. Dagg

Dagg Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I think Reche has finally settled into the #2 role we used to see Givins and patten fill. More of a Possesion short out slant hook reciever. Nwo if we could settle on someone to replace Branch.
  16. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Right, but there is the matter of opportunity, if we draft Colston, I certainly don't see him playing anymore than Jackson has. Likewise, maybe if Jackson were on the Saints he'd be tearing it up.

The Pats have three (now four) solid veterans on this team, BB isn't going to just toss a rookie out there for fun. We know how tough it is being a wide receiver in the Pats system in which we are constantly making changes based on what the defense shows. I don't know what kind of system the Saints run, I've barely seen them play this season, but it's always important to keep in mind that the Pats choose to play an offense which revolves around the ability to read defenses - something a rookie might not be ready to do.
  17. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Either Gabriel or Jackson by years end, hopefully.

Frankly, Reche's role, and Given's role, is arguably more important than what Branch did. When Givens was injured, this team's offense suffered far more than it did when Branch was out - Givens (and now Reche) was the guy who Brady relied on most to get first downs.
  18. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

BUMP for Reche's continued good play. He continues to impress. 3 for 57, and that diving almost-a-catch he made on the sideline was a great effort, if it weren't for us being in the age of slow-motion, HD, instant reply, that's a catch.
  19. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

One thing that I noticed that the receivers seem to give up on broken plays. Instead of breaking off their route and coming back to brady as a safety valve they seemed to just stop running. the watson catch was spectacular but he could have ran back towards brady.
  20. Fanfrom1960

Fanfrom1960 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Well, if you look at quantity instead of quality...

Speaking of which, anybody else see Reggie Wayne's one handed catch and then he acrobatically gets both feet in bounds? No wonder Peyton's numbers are so fricken good year after year. Wayne, Harrison, et al.
  21. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

the colts passing game is so in sync and in the zone right now it's not funny. it is pretty scary to go up against. the eagles needed to do what dallas did and reroute people
  22. Kdo5

Kdo5 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

He made two great plays late in tonights game. What has impressed me is they are moving away from short passes to Caldwell. He has been getting longer and bigger gains, doing superb after the catch. The fumble had me cursing Caldwell for a few seconds though. Just fall down!
  23. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +63 / 1 / -0

My only complaint about Caldwell tonight, other than the fumble which he gets a free pass in my book since he was able to at least advance the Watson fumble another five yards or so and mistakes like that go more to the original fumble, was him not having the forsight not to go out of bounds when we were running down the clock. We could have forced the Bears to burn their time outs quicker and give them less time assuming Samuel didn't pick off Grossman.
  24. mosi

mosi Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Nah, the Eagles have quit on their coach. Donavon is gone and they feel their season is over. They are playing with no emotion or desire to win. Terrible. People are starting to call for Andy Reid's head. To bad, because he is a good coach.
  25. BoTown

BoTown Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I was completely, totally wrong about Reche Caldwell and I couldn't be happier. He's playing like a New England Patriots wide receiver should play, if that makes sense. Just wish there would be another guy who can do the same. Chad Jackson isn't getting it done his rookie season, and Doug Gabriel needs to see the field in order to do anything. Troy Brown is reliable but moreso as a slot/possession receiver than a consistent outside receiving option.
  26. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

I kind of agree but I was also sort of relieved he got out of bounds so he couldn't fumble. I think he went through the same thought process as he moved in first before going out. In retrospect he should have fallen to the ground in a fetal position with the ball to keep the clock moving but not allow the Bears to rip it out of his hands.
  27. Kdo5

Kdo5 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Chad hasnt been bad. Today I didnt quite see all of it but it looked like Brady just overthrew him, that was a hard catch for plenty of recievers to make.
  28. tkayo

tkayo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If you include Watson, then I think that we do have the deepest set of athletes and the potential for the best set of receivers Brady has ever had. Caldwell is definately panning out. I'm surprised that Gabriel is not getting more involved (I think he has more up side). I'm very excited about Jackson. We're all waiting for these guys to get better and improve, but I think that the team has amassed some good talent at receiver, better than Brady has ever had. So, I'm not laughing.
  29. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I'm waiting for CJ's breakout game, any week now I think we'll see it. He could've easily had two big gainers tonight, he misplayed that first ball & was interferred with on the second. He was beating his man, it's only a matter of time, he just needs to get into the flow of things.

I'd like to see TB/BB/McD make a concerted effort to start getting him involved in the game early, as he's too big a weapon to not start to utilize.
  30. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Bump for Reche's 6 catches today - he continues to make great catches around the markers and be TB's go to guy on 3rd down and short.