PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

One person's list of NE's all-time top five WRs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moss and Welker should probably be 1-2, with Welker getting the nod at #1 purely for longevity.

Switch Brown in for Welker and the Pats aren't in the AFCCG in the first place.

Yeah, because they'd be in yet another Superbowl.

Troy > Wes

It was a sad, sad day when Butterfingers surpassed Brown on the all time receptions chart. I don't know why people are so obsessed with Welker's inflated regular season stats that he racks up in today's pass happy NFL against teams the Patriots are blowing out.

Yeah, because they'd be in yet another Superbowl.

Troy > Wes

It was a sad, sad day when Butterfingers surpassed Brown on the all time receptions chart. I don't know why people are so obsessed with Welker's inflated regular season stats that he racks up in today's pass happy NFL against teams the Patriots are blowing out.

Let me guess.....

Working around a ban, right?

Troy Brown is the best post season WR this team has ever had. In my opinion that makes him this team's greatest wide receiver. No other receiver has contributed more to this team's success...no one.

No way in hell is Welker above Troy Brown.

Wes Welker's statistical profile as a WR for the Patriots absolutely dwarfs Troy Brown's.

TOTALS
Welker: 93 g, 672 rec, 7459 yds, 11.1 ypc, 37 td
Brown: 192 g, 557 rec, 6366 yds, 11.4 ypc, 31 td

So in less than half the games, Welker has 115 more receptions, 1093 more yds, and 6 more touchdowns. Here are their average seasons:

Welker: 112 rec, 1243 yds, 6 td
Brown: 40 rec, 455 yds, 2 td
*Note: I'm skipping Brown's 2007 season b/c he played one game

What about postseason?
Welker: 9 g, 69 rec, 686 yds, 9.9 ypc, 4 td
Brown: 19 g, 58 rec, 694 yds, 11.9 ypc, 2 td

So again, in less than half the games, Welker was more productive in the playoffs.

What Brown has that Welker does not are Super Bowl rings. I love Troy Brown, but Welker has been a better wide receiver for the Patriots than Brown was. Throw in returns and the fact that Troy even played a passable corner, and maybe you could argue that Brown was a better *football player* for NE than Welker has been. But not a receiver.

Wes Welker's statistical profile as a WR for the Patriots absolutely dwarfs Troy Brown's.

TOTALS

So in less than half the games, Welker has 115 more receptions, 1093 more yds, and 6 more touchdowns. Here are their average seasons:

What about postseason?

So again, in less than half the games, Welker was more productive in the playoffs.

What Brown has that Welker does not are Super Bowl rings. I love Troy Brown, but Welker has been a better wide receiver for the Patriots than Brown was. Throw in returns and the fact that Troy even played a passable corner, and maybe you could argue that Brown was a better *football player* for NE than Welker has been. But not a receiver.

Please, Wes Welker is the better fantasy football player. In terms of the Patriots, this guy...

nfl_a_brown_d1_600.jpg

...will always be over this guy...

Wes_Welker_Dropped_Pass_Catch_Fourth_Quarter_Super_Bowl_Video1.jpg

TOTALS

What about postseason?

In fairness, aside from the obvious trolls, most people that are doing the comparison between the two have admitted that Welker is the better receiver of the two, but that their hearts are going with Troy being that he was one of the integral figures on the championship rosters.

Please, Wes Welker is the better fantasy football player. In terms of the Patriots, this guy...

nfl_a_brown_d1_600.jpg

...will always be over this guy...

Wes_Welker_Dropped_Pass_Catch_Fourth_Quarter_Super_Bowl_Video1.jpg

It's not about fantasy football vs. real football. It's about who was a better *wide receiver*, not *overall football player*. I'd be very happy to have either guy on my team, and as I said already, Troy has the rings. But Welker's production as a WR dwarfs Brown's. It's not even really close.

It's not about fantasy football vs. real football. It's about who was a better *wide receiver*, not *overall football player*. I'd be very happy to have either guy on my team, and as I said already, Troy has the rings. But Welker's production as a WR dwarfs Brown's. It's not even really close.

There is more to consider when ranking football players than just stats. For example, would you say Tony Romo is a better QB in Cowboys' history because he threw for more TDs than Troy Aikman? I certainly wouldn't, just like I certainly wouldn't say Wes Welker is better than Troy Brown.

Unless we are talking about Fantasy Football. Welker takes the cake in that regard.

There is more to consider when ranking football players than just stats. For example, would you say Tony Romo is a better QB in Cowboys' history because he threw for more TDs than Troy Aikman? I certainly wouldn't, just like I certainly wouldn't say Wes Welker is better than Troy Brown.

Unless we are talking about Fantasy Football. Welker takes the cake in that regard.
Welker is the best receiver the Patriots have ever had. Perennial 100 reception receivers grow on trees.

I've watched footage of old Patriots games involving Morgan and Cappelletti. Outside of Morgan's physical gifts, Welker is the one who beast modes the more often.

Welker is the best receiver the Patriots have ever had. Perennial 100 reception receivers grow on trees.

I've watched footage of old Patriots games involving Morgan and Cappelletti. Outside of Morgan's physical gifts, Welker is the one who beast modes the more often.

Minus Superbowls and other important games. Welker beast modes when it doesn't matter. He's like the midget version of Marvin Harrison.

Minus Superbowls and other important games. Welker beast modes when it doesn't matter. He's like the midget version of Marvin Harrison.
Given your apparent bias, I find it difficult to accept most, if not all of your contentions.

Welker is a beast. If a 6'3 receiver put up his numbers most people would be heaping unimagined praise on him.

Given your apparent bias, I find it difficult to accept most, if not all of your contentions.

Welker is a beast. If a 6'3 receiver put up his numbers most people would be heaping unimagined praise on him.

Welker is a limited slot receiver (a good one at that) who has flourished in a system with one of the best QB's ever forcing the ball to him. He has also crapped in his pants in the most important moments, and is not worthy of 8+ million a year.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Welker is a limited slot receiver (a good one at that) who has flourished in a system with one of the best QB's ever forcing the ball to him. He has also crapped in his pants in the most important moments, and is not worthy of 8+ million a year.

We will have to agree to disagree.
Now it's Brady's fault that Welker gets route separation almost immediately?

Good day to you sir.

Over/under on the number of days until his next banning?

I'm assuming that the mods are at supper. It's not as if he's trying to be subtle or anything. The only thing missing is the fake tweet.

What about postseason?

This is absolutely where the stats fall flat. There is no way anyone can claim that Welker has had more success in the Post season. 9 or 19 games is not large enough of a sample size to be relevant. When you dig deeper however you can create a laundry list of big plays Troy Brown made to win big games.

2001: Punt return for TD against Steelers
2001: Punt block and lateral that created TD against Steelers
2001: Key catch in the final drive to set up winning score in SB
2003: Key catch in final drive to set up winning score in SB
2006: Causing a fumble of an interception allowing Patriots to go on and beat SD

Those are off the top of my head. The guy made HUGE plays in big games. If this team is ever going to win again they'll need more people that can step up and generate those types of game changing plays.

This is absolutely where the stats fall flat. There is no way anyone can claim that Welker has had more success in the Post season. 9 or 19 games is not large enough of a sample size to be relevant. When you dig deeper however you can create a laundry list of big plays Troy Brown made to win big games.

2006: Causing a fumble of an interception allowing Patriots to go on and beat SD

Those are off the top of my head. The guy made HUGE plays in big games. If this team is ever going to win again they'll need more people that can step up and generate those types of game changing plays.

Right, and despite posters pointing out how great Welker is with all his receptions, it's ironic that he would drop the most important ones. I won't even mention them because everyone knows what ones they are. Troy didn't put up Madden stats, but he made the plays to win games. Can't say the same about Wes.

You listed 5 plays. Of the 5 plays you listed, only two are actually catches. That should have told you how much of a reach you were trying to make with your argument.

You listed games that were either AFCCG or SB. I don't buy that those are the only "Big games", but let's take a look at your argument:

Welker has 18 catches for 163 yards and 0 TDs in his 2 SB Appearances. In 3 SB appearances, Brown had 16 catches for 182 yards and 0 TDs.

Welker has 21 catches for 225 yards and 2 TDs in his 3 AFCCG games. In 3 AFCCG appearances, Brown had 16 catches for 220 yards and 0 TDs.

I'm not sure where you're getting the notion that Brown played HUGE in big games as if that sets him apart from WWW, because Welker's outplayed him there, too.

You listed 5 plays. Of the 5 plays you listed, only two are actually catches. That should have told you how much of a reach you were trying to make with your argument.

You might not realize this but just because you don't agree with something doesn't mean it's wrong. His argument made perfect sense and is more valid than anything you've contributed to this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes