PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

One person's list of NE's all-time top five WRs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had that exact problem for more than 25 years, although that involved a woman rather than a football player.

I've had the same problem on and off since I was 16 but not lately. Hopefully that doesn't change when we get married.

Irving Fryar wasn't worth the draft pick spent on him. Classic case of an athlete with a 10 cent head.

I don't disagree, but guess I kind of liked him in part for the comedy element, but when he was "in shape" (not injured and not stoned) he was really exciting.

Welker, by a country mile

Love Welker, he's my favorite current patriot by a country mile but Troy will always have my heart for all time. If you look purely at stats your right Welker destroys bingo but Troy was so much more then just stats. Welker is a robot when it comes to consistently making the same play over and over again. Brown was never that good but he made up for it with pure heart and pluck. How many times have you seen Welker make a play that made you stand up and say did you see that? Brown has dozens. I agree with you that Welker is a borderline HOF while Brown will only ever go buying a ticket to tour but the special plays Brown made stand out and mean more to the heart. Who is the better WR? Welker. Who's the better football player? Brown. So he gets my vote for #1 even though the stats don't back that up.

Way before my time, but what about Russ Francis? Always heard good things about the guy.

Nice guy, too, judging by the one brief time I met him at a charity event.

I'll take Welker and his stats. But there is no question Brown is one of the most clutch Players in Patriots history. If I had to pick the guy I wanted on the field on the final drive it would be him. His Matrix like catch in 96 against the Giants still mesmerizes me to this day.

Stanley Morgan was my first Patriots man crush. Could of been top 10 easily had he played on this Patriots team. Guy epitomized blue collar and everyone loved him for it.

Good list overall. Unfortunately, I'm too young to have seen Morgan and Cappelletti so not sure where they stand in my mind. I have heard of them and am familiar with how great they were. For me, I would have to throw in possibly Terry Glenn and Deion Branch

You're right...you are too young. No way in he!! does Terry Glenn belong anywhere near that list. You could make a case for Branch, but even then he doesn't crack it either.

My mind tells me Welker. My heart tells me Brown.

Well, that makes sense. Welker was far more productive as a Patriots' WR while Troy was more of the heart and soul of the team during the Super Bowl years. Troy had only one season that would even remotely rival any of Welker's seasons here, but he (along with Bruschi) epitomized what it was to be a Patriot during the early 2000s - a selfless overachiever who would do whatever it takes to win.

I think the change in the game to be more pass friendly affects the rankings. I also think you have to take in to consideration what someone like Stanley Morgan would do with Tom Brady as his QB. Check this out:

Morgan: 180 games, 10352 yards
Welker: 93 games, 7459 yards
Brown: 182 games, 6366 yards

If you look at things like yards per reception, it's Morgan who really shines, at 19.4 yards per catch. Brown and Welker are in the 11's. Morgan could really have benefited from the new rules in the passing game and from Tom Brady throwing to him over Grogan, Eason, et al. With that in mind, here's my thoughts:

1. Morgan
2. Welker
3. Brown
4. Moss: 75 yards per game and 50 TD's both rank #2 all time in Foxboro.
5: Colclough and Gino, based on the fact I have not seen them play, and looking at numbers.

I think the change in the game to be more pass friendly affects the rankings. I also think you have to take in to consideration what someone like Stanley Morgan would do with Tom Brady as his QB. Check this out:

If you look at things like yards per reception, it's Morgan who really shines, at 19.4 yards per catch. Brown and Welker are in the 11's. Morgan could really have benefited from the new rules in the passing game and from Tom Brady throwing to him over Grogan, Eason, et al. With that in mind, here's my thoughts:

1. Morgan
2. Welker
3. Brown
5: Colclough and Gino, based on the fact I have not seen them play, and looking at numbers.

You can't really compare Morgan to Welker and Brown in yards per catch. Both Welker and Brown played a lot of slot and were/are possession WRs while Morgan was an outside deep threat. Of course Morgan's YPC are going to be much better. He didn't have a lot of 5 yard catches over the middle.

You can't really compare Morgan to Welker and Brown in yards per catch. Both Welker and Brown played a lot of slot and were/are possession WRs while Morgan was an outside deep threat. Of course Morgan's YPC are going to be much better. He didn't have a lot of 5 yard catches over the middle.

I understand that they are essentially two different positions. 19.4 is still impressive over 180 games. Just imagine if he played with Brady with these rules. We'd be talking Brady/Morgan in the same breath as Montana/Rice.

Morgan is third on the NEP's all time list for receptions behind Welker and Brown. The more I look at the numbers, the more I think Morgan is WAAAY underrated. If he played for better teams, we'd be talking about a bust in Canton. He has better career numbers than guys like Lynn Swann and Fred Biletnikoff who are enshrined.

1. Morgan
2. Welker
3. Brown
I did watch Colclough and Gino play. They were probably not as skilled as the others and the competition was much weaker. Gino should be in the NFL Hall Of Fame because he was the AFL's scoring leader.

Troy Brown would have made that catch in the Super Bowl.

Troy Brown would have made that catch in the AFCCG.

Nuff said.

I'd put Brown above Welker, but that may be more emotive of me than rational.

i would keep welker where he is. His numbers with brady year after year are just out of this world. He can't be stopped when they are in rhythm.

Moss and Welker should probably be 1-2, with Welker getting the nod at #1 purely for longevity.

Troy Brown would have made that catch in the Super Bowl.

Troy Brown would have made that catch in the AFCCG.

Nuff said.

Switch Brown in for Welker and the Pats aren't in the AFCCG in the first place.

If this were expanded from WRs to all receivers Ben Coates would be in the top 5.

For me in this order

head says

Moss
Welker
Stanley
Fryar
Brown

heart says

Brown
Patten
Branch
Moss
Gino

I'll take Welker and his stats. But there is no question Brown is one of the most clutch Players in Patriots history. If I had to pick the guy I wanted on the field on the final drive it would be him. His Matrix like catch in 96 against the Giants still mesmerizes me to this day.

Stanley Morgan was my first Patriots man crush. Could of been top 10 easily had he played on this Patriots team. Guy epitomized blue collar and everyone loved him for it.

Here is a link to that sweet catch by Brown. Fast forward to 5:35

Giants vs Pats Comeback (1996) - 4 - YouTube

I understand that they are essentially two different positions. 19.4 is still impressive over 180 games. Just imagine if he played with Brady with these rules. We'd be talking Brady/Morgan in the same breath as Montana/Rice.

Morgan is third on the NEP's all time list for receptions behind Welker and Brown. The more I look at the numbers, the more I think Morgan is WAAAY underrated. If he played for better teams, we'd be talking about a bust in Canton. He has better career numbers than guys like Lynn Swann and Fred Biletnikoff who are enshrined.

Absolutley right. Morgan's numbers are clearly better than Swann's. There's an argument to be made that Stanley deserves HOF consideration. If Lynn Swann is in, Stanley deserves to be there as well.

Out of the ones that I have watched, just in terms of how I rank them (not considering their contributions, etc)

Moss
Morgan
Welker
Brown
Fryar

HM to Terry Glenn.

Fryar was really special, as he showed at Miami, just a shame he was in such a poor state during his tenure with the Patriots but then again the Patriots, as a whole, were in a sorry state while he was here anyways. I remember crying as a kid over the big drug scandal back in the 80s.

Never saw Capoletti so I won't say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back