PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

One person's list of NE's all-time top five WRs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Jim Colclough deserves to be included somewhere in the top five.
In the history of the franchise #81 ranks:

- 6th with 5001 yards receiving (5th if you only include WRs)
- 3rd with 17.7 yards per catch (minimum 100 receptions)
- 5th with 39 TD receptions (4th if you only include WRs)
- Still ranks 10th in receptions with 283, despite massive changes in the way the game is played now

Also:
- Led the league in yards per catch once, and was in the top-10 five times
- Three times in the top-5 in the league in touchdown receptions
- Three times in the top-10 in the league in yards receiving
- Three times in the top-10 in the league in receptions

Last edited:
Good list overall. Unfortunately, I'm too young to have seen Morgan and Cappelletti so not sure where they stand in my mind. I have heard of them and am familiar with how great they were. For me, I would have to throw in possibly Terry Glenn and Deion Branch

Gonna pull a "Deus Irae" for my list (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, counselor):

Major caveat: my list here is based purely on my emotions for these guys, not on stats, not on perception of talent, just based on the sum total of the excitement I got watching them do their thing (in in Troy and Gino's cases, their things).

1. Troy Brown
2. Stanley Morgan

3. Wes Welker

4. Gino Cappeletti

5. Jim Colclough

HM. Randy Moss, Harold Jackson, Vincent Brisby, Randy Vataha, David Patten, Irving Fryar

Nice list that should generate some discussion because people can define "great" in different ways (cumulative productivity in yards, TDs, YPC, productivity per year, etc.). I think Fryar belongs in the discussion. In addition to his receiving, running, and returning skills, he goes to the top of the list as a ferocious blocker and that does not even appear in any stats (but wouldn't we appreciate that skill now). Welker would be on my list if it were NFL and not merely Patriots greats. Sadly for active players, value often appreciates after they are gone.

http://prod.static.patriots.clubs.nfl.com/assets/docs/historical/alltime-lists/alltime-receivers.pdf

Good list overall. Unfortunately, I'm too young to have seen Morgan and Cappelletti so not sure where they stand in my mind. I have heard of them and am familiar with how great they were. For me, I would have to throw in possibly Terry Glenn and Deion Branch

Same here. I'm 26 and I didn't get a chance to see Morgan and Cappelletti compete. Agree with Welker, Brown, and Moss though. Just don't know who I'd put ahead of who: Brown or Welker?

Same here. I'm 26 and I didn't get a chance to see Morgan and Cappelletti compete. Agree with Welker, Brown, and Moss though. Just don't know who I'd put ahead of who: Brown or Welker?

I'd put Brown above Welker, but that may be more emotive of me than rational.

Welker, by a country mile

Way before my time, but what about Russ Francis? Always heard good things about the guy.

My mind tells me Welker. My heart tells me Brown.

Brown helped bring the ring, and he further endeared himself to us with his willingness to play CB. But, for a pure WR, Brown only had 3 top line seasons, and his best year was 101 catches for 1199 yards. I'll always be a big fan of the man, but he's got to take a back seat to WWW when I'm actually ranking the WRs, IMO.

HM. Randy Moss, Harold Jackson, Vincent Brisby, Randy Vataha, David Patten, Irving Fryar

Irving Fryar wasn't worth the draft pick spent on him. Classic case of an athlete with a 10 cent head.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brown helped bring the ring, and he further endeared himself to us with his willingness to play CB. But, for a pure WR, Brown only had 3 top line seasons, and his best year was 101 catches for 1199 yards. I'll always be a big fan of the man, but he's got to take a back seat to WWW when I'm actually ranking the WRs, IMO.

You'll get no argument here. But there are times when a guy, though he has developed the ability to be a critical thinker, has that nagging feeling to try to think with his heart.

You'll get no argument here. But there are times when a guy, though he has developed the ability to be a critical thinker, has that nagging feeling to try to think with his heart.

I had that exact problem for more than 25 years, although that involved a woman rather than a football player.

All-World was a TE, one of three best (along with Coates and Gronkowski).

Way before my time, but what about Russ Francis? Always heard good things about the guy.

Where's Hart Lee Dykes ..... :scared:

My mind tells me Welker. My heart tells me Brown.

Yes, Welker is the better receiver; the difference in stats and accolades is only partly explained by the other 10 offensive players. However:

• Brown was (very unofficially) postseason MVP the most important postseason in Patriots' history.
  • He was on the team longer than Welker has been to date.
  • For the AFC Championship game in Pittsburgh alone, Brown is one of the most important special teams players in Patriot history.
  • Brown's switch to defense should count for a lot more than his JAG play on defense normally would rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes