PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

One Month Away - Musings

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
1) The top 5 corners might be gone by 32.

2) ILB may be an early pick.

3) It will be hard to pass on an LT or LG at 32 or shortly thereafter. The alternative seems to be Marpett or another at 64.

4) Our middle picks (96, 96, 101, 130) seem a fine place to get a RB or two.

5) Belichick might be fine with our DT's, including Johnson as the #5, but might bring in some competition with one of our middle picks.

1) The top 5 corners might be gone by 32.

2) ILB may be an early pick.

3) It will be hard to pass on an LT or LG at 32 or shortly thereafter. The alternative seems to be Marpett or another at 64.

4) Our middle picks (96, 96, 101, 130) seem a fine place to get a RB or two.

5) Belichick might be fine with our DT's, including Johnson as the #5, but might bring in some competition with one of our middle picks.
I do not expect them to select at #32. That will be a prime spot to trade out of for a team looking for a second tier QB after Winston and Mariota.

I don't think Marpet will be on the board at #64.

In what kind of shape these days is Troy Brown? o_O
Wouldn't worry about that. The top 5 CBs in the draft is far from established so I'm not sure what top 5 MG is suggesting could be gone.

Picking an ILB would be just maddening.

Byron Jones seems to make too much sense not to happen so we know it wont lol. bb will take someone we've never heard of and make him into a star.

Wouldn't worry about that. The top 5 CBs in the draft is far from established so I'm not sure what top 5 MG is suggesting could be gone.

Drafttek has the following gone by 30: Waynes, Collins, Peters, Jones and Johnson.

Draftek has Rollins and Carter are mid-second picks; do you disagree? Williams is not their first two rounds. Many here wouldn't mind ignoring his issue; many teams probably have him off their boards, perhaps pending more interviewing.

This all seems about right. Obviously, one or two of the corners could fall a few spots and be available. Perhaps, teams will simply pass on these corners.

Drafttek has the following gone by 30: Waynes, Collins, Peters, Jones and Johnson.

Draftek has Rollins and Carter are mid-second picks; do you disagree? Williams is not their first two rounds. Many here wouldn't mind ignoring his issue; many teams probably have him off their boards, perhaps pending more interviewing.

This all seems about right. Obviously, one or two of the corners could fall a few spots and be available. Perhaps, teams will simply pass on these corners.
Collins is injured so I expect him to drop. Many boards have Darby as a top 5-6 CB. Jones is a combine stud and a late riser, I'm not sure if he would be considered a top 50 pick on everyone's board.

Wild card would be Eric Rowe. Personally, I like Steven Nelson later in the draft. I think he can be a legitimate #1 CB.

Read somewhere that the pats could get the top guard, or the 4th, 5th CB, or DT, so why not get a starter? I could be persuaded with that logic.

Of course it's all about the player. I think trading 1s and 3s for 2s is still the way to go in this draft. Just checked CBS prospect page and they don't rate a single guard in round one, 7 in rounds 2-3.

Maybe this will be the rare trade up year for talent?

Belichick has trade up as often as he has traded down, in the first round, and in other rounds.
Read somewhere that the pats could get the top guard, or the 4th, 5th CB, or DT, so why not get a starter? I could be persuaded with that logic.

Of course it's all about the player. I think trading 1s and 3s for 2s is still the way to go in this draft. Just checked CBS prospect page and they don't rate a single guard in round one, 7 in rounds 2-3.

Cann is the only pure OG that I have seen as having a 1st round ranking by some.

However, Belichick is more likely to draft an LT (Fisher, Flowers, Erving, Collins, Peat) If none of these is acceptable and available, then I agree that he is likely to trade down (presuming no acceptable corner is there).

Belichick has trade up as often as he has traded down, in the first round, and in other rounds.

Cann is the only pure OG that I have seen as having a 1st round ranking by some.

However, Belichick is more likely to draft an LT (Fisher, Flowers, Erving, Collins, Peat) If none of these is acceptable and available, then I agree that he is likely to trade down (presuming no acceptable corner is there).

Yeah, these rankings were just by round, maybe high, maybe low. If he can't trade, I think he's just happy to find someone who can contribute at that pick. It's barely a first rounder.

I'll expose my ignorance of the draft, but looks are, it's more deep than elite. BB would definitely trade up for someone, but would someone in this draft be worth it?

I would rather they go with a lineman, either offense or defense, in the first round, or, if they trade down, with their first pick in the second round. If you consider that Belichick has had great success with first and second round linemen (Ron Brace excepted), but a weak record with first and second round corners, the risk of going with a corner seems too high.

Last edited:
I think trading 1s and 3s for 2s is still the way to go in this draft.

I think it would be difficult to argue against that.

For me:

Rnd 1

Favoured

Byron Jones
Cam Erving

Would Be Happy With

Todd Gurley
TJ Clemmings
Marcus Peters
Jake Fisher.

Rnd Two

Favoured

Trade up for Erving or Fisher if they fall
Grady Jarrett/Marcus Hardison

Rnd Three

Favoured

Trade up for Ali Marpet

Would Be Happy with

Best available LG or CB if either are still needed.

Or Ameer Abdullah anywhere after 32.

I'd add that I wouldn't rule out a possible draft day trade for Evan Mathis. BB seems to be leaving something to chance by relying on the draft, I suspect he has something else cooking.

I'd add that I wouldn't rule out a possible draft day trade for Evan Mathis. BB seems to be leaving something to chance by relying on the draft, I suspect he has something else cooking.

I'm going S.Wisniewski myself, over Mathis. I think that one is much more likely--unless Mathis is outright released, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back