PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

One Mans Opinion Not to Vote for Brady (MVP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to know if he's ever voted for Brady. According to his criteria (most valuable to his team), he must have. If he hasn't, he's full of crap.

Ditto. and if he has, he's still full of crap and should not be allowed to vote ever again!

Did he vote for Peyton when he broke the record? If so, what's the difference with Brady?

All in all, Brady won it 49-1, I'm not going to feel slighted because one sports writer got it wrong.

Yup.

The writer should have asked Cooney how many games he thought the Pats would have won without Brady.

Im not trying to disrespect anyone, but really why does it matter if he didnt get all the votes? He got all but one didnt he? Brady is the MVP. No question about it. It seems as if you Pats fans want it all. All the awards, all the praise, and heaven forbid if someone critizes your team or coach or player. There's hell to pay. Cant you guys just be happy? I mean your 16-0, Brady is the MVP, you have set all kinds of records, the media praises you and you complain about one insignificant vote? I dont really get it.

Im not trying to disrespect anyone, but really why does it matter if he didnt get all the votes? He got all but one didnt he? Brady is the MVP. No question about it. It seems as if you Pats fans want it all. All the awards, all the praise, and heaven forbid if someone critizes your team or coach or player. There's hell to pay. Cant you guys just be happy? I mean your 16-0, Brady is the MVP, you have set all kinds of records, the media praises you and you complain about one insignificant vote? I dont really get it.

You know what I don't get? Why Bob Sanders is inordinately proud of his biceps. He'll take any opportunity (sack, hard hit, tackle after a 22-yard gain) to show them off. Must be that little man's syndrome or something.

Last edited:
Frank Cooney is full of balony. According to him, Tom is great but he doesn't earn his vote.?

does he know how to appreciate 'talented' player.? Tom still wins.

You know what I don't get? Why Bob Sanders is inordinately proud of his biceps. He'll take any opportunity (sack, hard hit, tackle after a 22-yard gain) to show them off. Must be that little man's syndrome or something.

Is it the weather? You guys have gotta be the most sour fans in all of sports.

Is it the weather? You guys have gotta be the most sour fans in all of sports.

Sour? I just don't like all of the preening and flexing that goes on during a game. I hate it when any non-Patriot does it, and I despise it when a Patriot does it.

Seriously, though, tell me where I'm wrong. Sanders is always flexing. He must be compensating for the fact that he's 4'11" which, incidentally, is the reason people think he's the DPOY over a real difference-maker like Haynesworth or Kerney.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...08/01/08/favre_over_brady_a_voters_reasoning/

This story appeared in today's Globe.

When I first heard that one voter didn't vote for Tom Brady for MVP, I was outraged. I was further dismayed when I found out it was from the Sports Xchange, a service I subscribe to for draft info. How could someone not vote for the record smashing leader of the undefeated Patriots.

My original thought was another backlash at the Patriots just because they are so good and this voter was jealous. I couldn't be more wrong!

Frank Cooney carefully thought out what it meant to be an MVP and his reasoning is as follows:

"First, let's be clear that this award is a distinctly individual honor in the ultimate team sport, which makes it extremely difficult to sort out in the first place," he wrote in an e-mail.

"As such, it cannot be based on statistics, which reap their own rewards. The term we are addressing here is Most Valuable Player, which I take to mean most valuable to one's team. It is, at best, an awkward phrase to evaluate, let alone quantify or justify. But, again, mere statistics should not be the sole basis of consideration.

"Tom Brady is a great player on a great team filled with great players in a highly-evolved system and a proven, veteran coach. That team, that franchise was expected to win 14 games and it won 16. Brady was awesome behind an awesome line and with awesome wide receivers in a great system

I still think Brady should be the MVP, but I can respect Frank Cooney's opinion and vote for what he considered the MVP.

If cooney didnt vote for manning in 04 (assuming cooney had a vote then) then im fine with his decision...

I think the majority of complaints are that it was Favre that got the other vote, not that Brady didn't get all 50. Other than being Brett Favre, it's hard to see why he would be seen as more valuable than a list of other players.

Cooney himself said Favre had an advantage before the season even started. That's not the sort of open-mindedness a voter should have, imo.

If cooney didnt vote for manning in 04 (assuming cooney had a vote then) then im fine with his decision...

He said on air he did vote for Manning in 04.

He also said he voted for Green Bay's coach over BB for coach of the year.

See, now this is annoying. It's fine if he wanted to vote for Favre, I don't have a problem with that, but why the vote for Manning in his record setting year and not Brady this year? Did he explain why?

This douchebag is full of s.h.i.t!!!!

His argument for NOT voting for Brady are even more applicable to Peyton Manning in 2004.

I would prefer he just be honest and say that he's a GB homer. The fact that he didn't vote for Brady doesn't make me angry, but his lame reasoning does.

Last edited:
So they were supposed to win 14; and they ended up winning 16. Therefore thats not enough?

The flaw there is that they were supposed to win 14 because they have Tom Brady and because they have BB.

The award doesn't go to the "who has played the best compared to their expectation".

Without BB, they'd probably expect to go 12 or 13. So BB brings to the team from 13 to 16. Thats huge.

Also, with Cassell instead of Brady; this team would win 6 games. So TB brought this team from a 6 game winner to a 16 game winner.

But comparing against the backup isn't fair either. Just because some teams have a good backup qb; the starter shouldn't be penalized because of it in the voting.

Also, because we have two great players (Moss and Brady), you also shouldn't penalize them both saying "Well I only vote for teams that have one great player".

Really, this guy is acting like a baseball voter: "The player I vote for must be on a playoff team; because if the team sucks he couldn't be all that valuable; and there can't be anyone else good on the team because then his replacement would've also been good; etc etc etc".

The award should really go to: If you could name one guy whos on-field and lockerroom performance this year could be duplicated for next year, who would you want?

I'm not sure why voters are allowed to make their own rules up.

Or how about this:
If TB was on greenbay; would they be in the playoffs? Yes
If Favre was on ne; would they be undefeated? Probably not
(likewise for the coaching comparison)
Therefore, I think its obvious which of the two is the more valuable player

Last edited:
This douchebag is full of s.h.i.t!!!!

His argument for NOT voting for Brady are even more applicable to Peyton Manning in 2004.

I would prefer he just be honest and say that he's a GB homer. The fact that he didn't vote for Brady doesn't make me angry, but his lame reasoning does.
Green Bay people! One just came into my place of business with a nice Packers cap, so I asked him when the Packers were playing this weekend (I knew, but was making conversation). He said he didn't know, had been too busy working. :eek: Packer fan? Like I would ever, ever not know when the Patriots were playing next, regular season, or playoffs. OK, just one guy, doesn't mean anything, maybe even a fair weather fan. He did buy a lot of stuff...

Green Bay people! One just came into my place of business with a nice Packers cap, so I asked him when the Packers were playing this weekend (I knew, but was making conversation). He said he didn't know, had been too busy working. :eek: Packer fan? Like I would ever, ever not know when the Patriots were playing next, regular season, or playoffs. OK, just one guy, doesn't mean anything, maybe even a fair weather fan. He did buy a lot of stuff...

That's very odd. Packer fans are very knowledgeable and extremely loyal. They are a fabulous fanbase. One of the very best. And I hate the Packers.

Im not trying to disrespect anyone, but really why does it matter if he didnt get all the votes?

Sure, in this case it doesn't matter.
But in other cases it does. Take the year Pedro Martinez should've been MVP but he was completely left off of 2 ballots because they said they didn't believe Pitchers should be MVPs (even though both had prior voted for pitchers and there's no rule against it).
And there's been plenty of Boston & Non-Boston MVP voting injustices thru the years.
Really; they should have defined guidelines for voting (for all awards) and when writers limit the talent pool based on thier own guidelines (like "I only pick from playoff teams...Or I only pick offensive players...Or I only pick when a team doesn't have 2 great players") their vote should be taken away because its wrong

Then his whole spiel on why he voted for Favre is total BS.

The Colts went 12-4 in 2004, probably withn a game in either direction of what they were supposed to do. By his own logic he says he used this year, a whole lot of other guys should have been MVP ahead of manning in 2004.

This guy can kiss my nuts!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back