Welcome to PatsFans.com

One in nine Americans on food stamps

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by NEPatriot, Jul 8, 2009.

1. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

One in nine Americans on food stamps, USDA says | U.S. | Reuters

A second stimulus is badly NEEDED.
  2. Mabeyitstrue

Mabeyitstrue Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

In a field one summer's day a Grasshopper was hopping about, chirping and singing to its heart's content. An Ant passed by, bearing along with great toil an ear of corn he was taking to the nest.
    "Why not come and chat with me," said the Grasshopper, "instead of toiling and moiling in that way?"
    "I am helping to lay up food for the winter," said the Ant, "and recommend you to do the same."
    "Why bother about winter?" said the Grasshopper; "We have got plenty of food at present." But the Ant went on its way and continued its toil.
    When the winter came the Grasshopper had no food and found itself dying of hunger - while it saw the ants distributing every day corn and grain from the stores they had collected in the summer. Then the Grasshopper knew: It is best to prepare for days of need.

Food for thought;)
  3. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Confucious, you have obviously saving that one for a while. Would you just tell me whether or not to be on food stamps.;)
  4. Mabeyitstrue

Mabeyitstrue Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If you need them Yes, if you don't No but you should always save for a rainy day cause someday these services might not be there.

Its a great story, what if our leaders would of followed it? we would not be in this mess, you and me both decided to live for today and forget tomorrow.

People keep saying we are passing this debt down to our children, where were your parents and grandparents when they decided to pass there debt to us?

We have been in this situation for over 30 yrs now, since Mr.Nixion decided to take the dollar off gold and make it off of nothing....thanks right wing;)
  5. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I don't have a problem with them. I feel as though their abuse certainly outweighs their necessity. However, now is probably not the time to gripe about the systems flaws....As far as tightening our belt straps governmentally goes. Confucius say, "pig with fat belly is fat pig".:D
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

You are aware that Food Stamps (its real name is the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) is a US Dept of Agriculture program, not a HHS program, originally designed to help farmers as much as they help consumers.. without regard not a bad program, is there fraud.. there is fraud with anything to do with money or goods.. it has gotten better with teh EBT cards instead of the old food stamps.. those were absurd to use...

It is even more beneficial for those who have exhausted benefits and not returned to work, as at least the kids can eat...

In Sept 2008 Food Stamps were given to 10.3% of the population.. the numbers receiving are absudly high and reflective of the economy..
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  7. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I did the math and came out with $3.75 per person per day, Ick. I'm single and employed. I routinely spend $11 on a Porterhouse steak as the main course for one meal and almost daily spend $5 for a bagel sandwich and coffee at Dunkin' Donuts and that's just Breakfast. How can you feed a family on that kind of money? Lots of Mac n Cheese with cut up mystery meat hot dogs I guess.
  8. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +304 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

It's not something I would want to have to do, obviously, but I routinely spend less than $5 a day on food. Couple of hot dogs in the morning, 4 eggs with some jalepenos mixed in for lunch and about 1/4 of one of those grocery store rotisserie chickens at night. It's about $1 for the hot dogs, $1.50 for the 1/4 chicken and not a lot for the eggs. Now, I do it because I'm on a perpetual diet (went from 245 to 185 six years ago and haven't gained a pound back) but it's very do-able; on some nights I even treat myself to a slice of buttered toast :D Again, though, it's easier when you're choosing to do it and your kids aren't complaining about being hungry. But when you eliminate carbs you feel less hungry. Keep in mind, too, this isn't all they can spend on food, it's just a supplement for low income people.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  9. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +611 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Well I'm fortunate to be amongst the 88.8% who don't need them. Providing food for the poor is something I don't mind. Food stamps at least mostly go for food ... mostly anyways.
  10. Mabeyitstrue

Mabeyitstrue Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I like you:eat2:
  11. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

They come in a nice credit card form to alleviate any embarrassment from onlookers.

Those of us who pay for our own food are increasingly the suckers in this loser-take-all economy, with the bureaucrats acting like the kingmakers.
  12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +362 / 1 / -9

The President Of The USA has an Aunt on "food stamps" while he spends thousands of dollars to take his wife Princess Michelle to a broadway play.

I wonder if the NY Times or MSNBC would have been upset if GW Bush had done this while having a relative on Food Stamps.

Aunt Zucchini not only recieves food stamps, she's an Illegal Alien.

But he has such a beautiful smile.
  13. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Don't you mean the opposite?
  14. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I have had zero income for the last 15 months..........I mean I own my own company, but have not drawn a salary for that time......

do they counts assets when determining qualifications for food stamps?

I mean if there's a handout somewhere.....something for free, I need to go grab it.......I'm feeling somewhat libbie today
  15. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

Where does the Constitution in enumerating rights to the federal government include food purchases to non-military?

States or local municipalities could handle that. Plus, they'd have a better handle on who is the deserving poor.

Do we still make that distinction?