PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

One guarantee about Cassel next year (true for any FA QB)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Any team that has any clue what it's doing (e.g., not Jokeland) will not look simply at the statistics.

They'll actually watch film on the QBs, and look and see what they did right and what they did wrong.

In other words--they'll see that Cassel won't always throw for 400 yards and 3 TDs a game, but they'll also see that a fair percentage of the Patriots' red zone struggles were not his fault (if the call is to run the ball, and the guard/tackle is pushed into the runner after the handoff, that simply isn't a QB's fault; similarly a well-thrown ball that gets dropped by the receiver is likewise not the QB's fault).

More importantly, if they're smart, they'll try and project that QB into their system. Regardless of what happens today, though, Cassel still has a future in this league.

Re: One guarantee about Cassel next year (true for any FA QB). . . .

He took a couple of bad sacks, had a couple of bad throws, but in reality his #'s were pretty solid against an elite defense before Moss drops a TD and Slater fumbled the game away. Really we should have been up 17-13 at that point with a chance to chew some clock. Instead we're down 20-10 in a pressed situation and Pitt was able to pin their ears back and take advantage, then it all fell apart.

I don't know where he will end up next year but i know one thing; after today's game he lost millions.

I don't know where he will end up next year but i know one thing; after today's game he lost millions.

agreed....this will be all over sports radio tomorrow......and I don't think his (and the offenses) poor play did him any favors to land that big time and lucrative contract next year......The fact that this guy leading the offense results in struggles in the red zone should be a red flag to most owners/coaches of other teams.....we shall see

agreed....this will be all over sports radio tomorrow......and I don't think his (and the offenses) poor play did him any favors to land that big time and lucrative contract next year......The fact that this guy leading the offense results in struggles in the red zone should be a red flag to most owners/coaches of other teams.....we shall see

Last I checked, nobody plays the #1 defense in nasty weather 16 games a year.

I doubt it. He played pretty well today. If anything his stock went up. He isn't the first QB to lose to the Steelers #1 defense this year and he won't be the last.

No team wins all their games, and a big test of top talent is how they handle themselves in adversity. No matter how many things went wrong, Cassel hung in there. I think he made himself a bunch of $$$ today.

He has some relatively easy games left, let's see how he does. He was pretty good today if we had caught the ball and not gotten way behind. Oh, and if Matt Light was a better LT.

Not on one game, if he has 3 or 4 bad games the rest of the way, maybe, but he's been improving dramatically from the beginning of the year.
He is what he is.....

Did you watch the game or just look at the stat line?

Millions of what? Certainly not millions of dollars.

Hint to those who give the latest game 90% weighting in their evaluations of players: teams weren't going to rush to make him the highest paid QB in the game based on the NYJ and MIA games, and they won't unduly penalize him for this game. He is in line for a nice payday.

This is a foolish/obvious thread. Of course a team will watch every play Cassel ever played in College and the pros before they offer him multi-millions of $$....derr. With MC they wont have much to watch, so they can watch it over and over. They will see the progress he has made to this point, but they will also see how COLD he was during this game. The drives werent long enough in the 2nd half to get him warm, and he was really struggling in the 4th quarter. It will cost him millions because he took a couple steps backwards in his maturation and he may not have another test this year in bad weather to make up for it. Half the teams in the league have outdoor bad weather games, every year there are playoff games played in bad weather. He may have just limited his suitors.

This is a foolish/obvious thread. Of course a team will watch every play Cassel ever played in College and the pros before they offer him multi-millions of $$....derr.

Given the number of "trade Brady" and "Cassel sux" threads, I don't think it is.

With MC they wont have much to watch, so they can watch it over and over. They will see the progress he has made to this point, but they will also see how COLD he was during this game. The drives werent long enough in the 2nd half to get him warm, and he was really struggling in the 4th quarter. It will cost him millions because he took a couple steps backwards in his maturation and he may not have another test this year in bad weather to make up for it. Half the teams in the league have outdoor bad weather games, every year there are playoff games played in bad weather. He may have just limited his suitors.

Two of the teams considered most likely to be interested (DET, MIN) are teams that play over half their games indoors.

In any case, though, it was his first game in nasty weather in the NFL, and against the #1 defense--and he didn't do significantly worse than most QBs have fared against them, either.

Yeah and P Manning too. He really sucked today. His defense bailed him out. If he's looking for a big payday in FA...oh, wait....

The whole team played like sh!t today.

Though it was far from his best game, Cassel hung in there while his best receiver went on walkabout and his left tackle, feeling enormous guilt about not being sufficiently punished for pummmeling an opponent in the previous game, corrected the commissioner's injustice and suspended himself.

Cassell is (appears to be) a compentent starter who generally makes good decisions and puts his team in a position to win. There's demand for that type of player in the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes