PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

One Gap vs. Two Gap Defenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ummm...kinda. In a two gap, the LB's could have a predetermined gap as well, perhaps even the SS if he is in Force/flat responsibilities or blitzing. The gap responsibilities pertain more to the D linemen, although they could pertain to the LBs as well...but that is where it gets complicated.

Look at the diagram on that link. The responsibility for two gaps falls to the NG, and DT's. See the arrows?

But yes, a two gap alignment has more schemes available to it and can be far more complex. Romeo had that D dialed up big time in the championship years. Since Ratgina left, something has been missing in the translation to these transplants and younger players.

Additionally a strong DE/OLB hybrid to rush and set the edge seems missing. And since Rodney left, the big SS to thump the middle is another void to be filled.
Kinda makes me wonder why the team doesn't one gap more, to take advantage of the young kids' athleticism and speed, while they digest the complexities of the two gap system. Just a meandering thought.

Alright, I'm starting to misunderstand this a little less now, I think. Excellent.

The Two Gap is very similar to the One Gap...only double.

Hope that helps. :)

If you've enjoyed this thread half as much as I have, then I've enjoyed it twice as much as you.

Ummm...kinda. In a two gap, the LB's could have a predetermined gap as well, perhaps even the SS if he is in Force/flat responsibilities or blitzing. The gap responsibilities pertain more to the D linemen, although they could pertain to the LBs as well...but that is where it gets complicated.

Look at the diagram on that link. The responsibility for two gaps falls to the NG, and DT's. See the arrows?

But yes, a two gap alignment has more schemes available to it and can be far more complex. Romeo had that D dialed up big time in the championship years. Since Ratgina left, something has been missing in the translation to these transplants and younger players.

Additionally a strong DE/OLB hybrid to rush and set the edge seems missing. And since Rodney left, the big SS to thump the middle is another void to be filled.
Kinda makes me wonder why the team doesn't one gap more, to take advantage of the young kids' athleticism and speed, while they digest the complexities of the two gap system. Just a meandering thought.

Long time, no read. I hope all is well. :)

Someone asked why 2 gap in passing situations....

Alot of times in passing situations it is just the NT that will 2 gap as to just drive the center up the field closing down on the pocket while the DE/OLB's coming off the edge put the pressure on.....With Vince not committing to one side or the other if the Qb steps up he can shed the blocker in either direction and make the play......

In a one gap vince would normally pick and side and try to make the play him self but that leaves a void for the Qb to step up and throw or run.....

I think the terms 1 gap or 2 gap defense confuse people alot....I would just say the NT has a 2 gap responsibility or the DE's have 2 gap responsibilities....On any play they could have the NT with a 2 gap responsibility and the DE's are told to penetrate a gap and get up the field (being a 1 gap responsibility)......Overall the pats play a 2 gap defense but they mix in the 1 gap quite a bit as well.....

Great link and posts. Thanks.

Hi Deus. Looks like I am returning home to patsfans. :eek:

Well, hang around. I learned more about football before breakfast this morning than I usually do in a week.

Someone asked why 2 gap in passing situations....

Alot of times in passing situations it is just the NT that will 2 gap as to just drive the center up the field closing down on the pocket while the DE/OLB's coming off the edge put the pressure on.....With Vince not committing to one side or the other if the Qb steps up he can shed the blocker in either direction and make the play......

In a one gap vince would normally pick and side and try to make the play him self but that leaves a void for the Qb to step up and throw or run.....

I think the terms 1 gap or 2 gap defense confuse people alot....I would just say the NT has a 2 gap responsibility or the DE's have 2 gap responsibilities....On any play they could have the NT with a 2 gap responsibility and the DE's are told to penetrate a gap and get up the field (being a 1 gap responsibility)......Overall the pats play a 2 gap defense but they mix in the 1 gap quite a bit as well.....

Thanks, that helps too. I guess the next challenge will be trying to identify if it's 1 gap or 2 gap during a game.

What I've wondered about over the years is how many players are ineligible to be Pats because they don't have the mental capacity to play a two gap. How much does this reduce the pool of available players to draw from?

Thanks, that helps too. I guess the next challenge will be trying to identify if it's 1 gap or 2 gap during a game.

1 gappers shoot, 2 gappers contain.

One thing to look for is how the players use their hands. Two gappers using proper technique will put both hands into the chest of the lineman (or in Willfork's case, one hand into two linemen) and try to remain square to the line of scrimmage, so they can come off either side of their man to make the play, after the runner has made his cut. One gappers will try a swim or undercut move and turn their shoulders to get around the opposing lineman into the backfield.

This makes one-gappers more susceptible to trap/wham blocks, whereas zone blocking forces two-gappers to maintain discipline and hold their ground, so the gaps between Dlinemen don't get so large that the second layer of the defense can't fill them effectively.

Bruschi said something in his most recent podcast about one way you can tell whether the Pats DL and LBs are doing their job against the run. If you view them from the end zone camera, you should see their numbers. He said this by way of commenting on how he noticed that Brace often got himself turned by the opposing OL. Still, his size and strength are more valuable in the 2-gap run defense than the speed and agility of Pryor or Wright, who have a more difficult time holding their ground when fully engaged with a 320-pound OL, no matter how good their technique.

One thing to look for is how the players use their hands. Two gappers using proper technique will put both hands into the chest of the lineman (or in Willfork's case, one hand into two linemen) and try to remain square to the line of scrimmage, so they can come off either side of their man to make the play, after the runner has made his cut. One gappers will try a swim or undercut move and turn their shoulders to get around the opposing lineman into the backfield.

This makes one-gappers more susceptible to trap/wham blocks, whereas zone blocking forces two-gappers to maintain discipline and hold their ground, so the gaps between Dlinemen don't get so large that the second layer of the defense can't fill them effectively.

Bruschi said something in his most recent podcast about one way you can tell whether the Pats DL and LBs are doing their job against the run. If you view them from the end zone camera, you should see their numbers. He said this by way of commenting on how he noticed that Brace often got himself turned by the opposing OL. Still, his size and strength are more valuable in the 2-gap run defense than the speed and agility of Pryor or Wright, who have a more difficult time holding their ground when fully engaged with a 320-pound OL, no matter how good their technique.

Awesome insight!

2 gap= more responsibility... player has to watch both sides (Vince at NT) has to worry about 2-3 Tackles instead of 1 as he watches the left and the right. 1 gap is the opposite/ 1 responsibility.

Most effective method would be using both the 1 and 2 gap to keep things off balance and unpredictable. Also change the scheme. 3-4 4-3.... rotate at will keep that offense guessing.:)

2 gap= more responsibility... player has to watch both sides (Vince at NT) has to worry about 2-3 Tackles instead of 1 as he watches the left and the right. 1 gap is the opposite/ 1 responsibility.

Most effective method would be using both the 1 and 2 gap to keep things off balance and unpredictable. Also change the scheme. 3-4 4-3.... rotate at will and keep that offense guessing.:)

just like a pitcher in baseball....... keep the hitter off balance and get the edge by doing so.:)

edit------ (double post by accident.) :- 2nd post is more complete.

Last edited:
I hear you. What they did to the other site is a crying shame.

Yes it is. But that is for another place. Its good to read some insight and stuff here. I missed that.

I think it's mostly because you can't have your guys one gap sometimes and two gap other times, because if there's confusion between the defensive players on how you're doing things, you're going to get absolutely killed.

Two gap is, primarily, a safer, more conservative, read-and-react system that will generally result in fewer big plays for both the offense and the defense, but will force the offense to be patient in order to score. It's more of a bend-but-don't-break philosophy also, usually.

Contrast to the more high risk-high reward defenses that, for example, the Ravens and Jets play/played under Ryan.

I think it's mostly because you can't have your guys one gap sometimes and two gap other times, because if there's confusion between the defensive players on how you're doing things, you're going to get absolutely killed.

Two gap is, primarily, a safer, more conservative, read-and-react system that will generally result in fewer big plays for both the offense and the defense, but will force the offense to be patient in order to score. It's more of a bend-but-don't-break philosophy also, usually.

Contrast to the more high risk-high reward defenses that, for example, the Ravens and Jets play/played under Ryan.

Actually, the Patriots one gap frequently. Especially at the ends. They also have been known to play from a 4-3 alignment.

This season, when the D looks fast, aggressive, and the O has not the time to react, typically there is some one gapping there. I just wish they would do it more.

Actually, the Patriots one gap frequently. Especially at the ends. They also have been known to play from a 4-3 alignment.

This season, when the D looks fast, aggressive, and the O has not the time to react, typically there is some one gapping there. I just wish they would do it more.

I agree that a younger, faster defensive team would seem to get better bang for its talented buck by one gapping more.

Vince Wilfork must really love the team/situation here to stay with the Pats, because I think he'd be a monster one-gapper, along the lines of a Sapp. But as a two gapper, he'll never sniff the HOF or anything. Seymour was probably limited by it also. It rewards strength, but penalizes speed by not giving it full freedom.

As for switching back and forth, I thought we one-gapped only when it was a passing play, and there wasn't much concern for the QB running with it, but I'll take your word for it. I don't watch Pats gamses on tape anymroe like I used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back