Welcome to PatsFans.com

One Fan's View Of Limbaugh's Interest in The Rams

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Oct 6, 2009.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +477 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

Interesting post by this guy ... he makes a few good points in here ... interesting.

He's a Ram's fan from Denmark ...

Limbaugh, Checketts join in bid for Rams .. - Page 5 - The ClanRam Forums

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

The first thing I thought of, was how will he fit amongst the billionaire boys club and will the NFL vet him particularly as he has had such significant drug problems???... OTOH Roger Goodell and his inner circle will probably welcome him as they would fear his wrath on the radio...

He has certainly let his feelings be known about many things.. do not see him being a real good fit.

Maybe they will let him proceed and then he will have to sit out for a 4 game suspension:D:D

Will he change the name to the St. Louis Dittoheads... ????
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  3. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

More on the St. Louis Dittoheads.. from Roman Oben, now retired... wonder if this is a voice in the darkness or a more common thought..

The League Panelists: Rush Limbaugh buying the St. Louis Rams is going to hurt the NFL team more than help - Roman Oben

Here is a compendium of Rush's greatest comments that might violate the sanctity of the NFL...

http://trueslant.com/level/2009/10/...ner-in-the-world-st-louis-rams-checketts-nfl/
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  4. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

A few more players are voicing their concern... I suspect that this will get contagious... but I suspect when push comes to shove, the almighty dollar will dictate...

Kiwanuka says he wouldn't play for Limbaugh-owned team | ProFootballTalk.com

5. Phokus

Phokus Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Would Rush get fined by the NFL if he got hooked on oxycontin again? lol
  6. resnor

resnor Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

LOL

Rush didn't say that McNabb was a bad QB. He said that the media gives him a pass, or makes him out to be better than he is because he's a black QB, and there aren't many black QB's that succeed in the NFL. What is false about that? I don't think it's racist...even if you think it's an incorrect statement.
  7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

If you read the comments it was offensive to McNabb... so all the rest is a wash.
  8. resnor

resnor Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

OH. So if someone is offended by something, that makes it incorrect? That makes it racist?

When the media slams TO for being a "cancer," or other such things, is it incorrect if TO is offended by it?
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  9. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Yeah I think Rush was taking a stab at the media at McNabb's expense. I think McNabb felt insulted because Rush said that he was never all that good but the media elevated him as an elite because they wanted to see a succesful black quarterback. LOL, after the Pats beat the Eagles in the Superbowl Letterman had some top 10 things McNabb said about the game and one of them was "oh my God, Rush was right!"

Limbaugh loves football but he would create a sh!t storm if he was an NFL owner. I'd avise him to keep out.
  10. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

At the time, McNabb's stats were excellent and his presentation was good, too, and he was clearly one of the elite qbs. He is still one of the few qbs in modern history who was a dangerous passer and rusher as well, so he was certainly one of the more exciting qbs. There was no particular reason to say that that the media praised him because of his race. Had he been white, he would have been held in equally high regard. Do you think Tony Romo most years got so much press because he's white?
  11. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

While I personally find Rush Limbaugh a loud mouthed, hypocritical clown, and I dont agree with his politics, I do question somewhat the outrage over what was said in 2003 (IIRC). I personally found it a racial statement, not a racist statement, and was more a shot at the media than McNabb himself. But who I am.

That being said Jimmy the Greek got in hot sh!t over remarks he said regarding African American athletes being superior to European American athletes because of the historically accurate fact that during slavery the best/biggest/strongest male was bred with the best/strongest/biggest female to produce the best/biggest/strongest offspring. While I think he comments could be seen as insensitive, they are historically 100% fact. Again racial, but perhaps not racist.

On a more local note. The beloved Tom Yawkey, long time owner of the Red Sox was an ardent racist, so much so that the Red Sox were the last team to break the color barrier. And he is loved in this town/area.

Then there is Marge Schott who ran the Reds and made some of the most racist (not racial) comments ever as owner of the Cincinnati Reds. I digress....

My point is merely this isnt the first, nor the last time that an individual will own/attempt to own a sports team with a checkered past as i pertains to racial sesitivity. I do think it is the first time that the subject is as polarizing as one Rush Limbaugh.
  12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

You compare raisins to grapefruit, Limbaugh has a history of saying things derogatory about minorities.. thus it becomes one of the many poor choices he has made aka he has a history... in this case his comments towards McNabb offended him, thus his comments.. no one said anything about racism.. the players are vocalizing their opinions..

Many times the offense is gauged in the eyes of the person offended.. that is common sense.
  13. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Well at the time black quarterbacks were rarer than they are now and were relatively new at the position. Those among the firsts of anything draw more attention because of that distinction. White quarterbacks have been a dime a dozen in the NFL so that wouldn't stimulate any particular attention.....Limbaugh, like most fringe partisans sees boogey men in everything. BTW Mcnabb was regaeded as a solid quarterback but I don't think he was all that great either. The comment " never was all that great" came as a result of some poor play as a matter of fact. The media wanting a black quarterback to be successful charge had no place in an NFL pre-game discussion however.
  14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Its 100% offensive.

If you can't figure out why Rush Limbaugh calling the entire media a bunch of racists, and using donovan mcnabbs skin color as his covor, is racist....then we need to talk.
  15. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think it would be a very bad idea to have Limbaugh own a stake in an NFL team. It's just a matter of time before he says/does something that reflects very poorly on the team and, by extension, the league. But you can't fire an owner like you can fire Jimmy The Greek or Al Campanis.

However, if his group's bid is the largest, it could create quite a problem.
  16. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Racists think that if they rephrase their bigotry they can fool the rest of us into thinking that it isn't racism. McNabb is only successful because we want to promote a black QB, and CB Bucknor is a bad umpire because of affirmative action. Meaning no black QB could be good on his own merits and if you're a bad ump and you're black, it's because of your race. Now go to the back of the bus.
  17. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Didn't Doug Williams win a Super Bowl as the QB of the Washington Redskins????

and CB is Bucknor is bad because he is bad... I dont care if he is white, black, green, yellow or pink polka dotted....and I thought this long before his performance last night.
  18. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Don't waste your time posting facts to group think zealots. Personally I don't care if Rush buys a team just as long as I don't have to hear or see him on shows about football like Olberman. You want to do politics do politics. Stay off my sports shows.
  19. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I agree. Reverend Wright and Joseph E. Lowery are prime examples of a racists. No matter how you rephrase it.
  20. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Are the zealots you are referring to the players who are voicing their concern??

Rush will not be able to do that... he loves the stage, loves the limelight.