PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

One constant in the Not For Long league: Brady-Belichick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know enough about Montana, but consider that Favre really depended on 'magic' to make things happen. He made his money on those dumb plays that took a rocket arm to make happen cause they were otherwise stupid.

Brady's not much of a gunslinger. He rarely throws deep. He beats you with his head.

In this scenario, one could envision him playing successfully with a weaker arm. Peyton's clearly not having any issues. Brady won't be passing into tight windows, and he'll be merely above average, but hey - that's what he was when the Patriots won their three SBs.

That's all Bill needs.

EDIT: On the brightside, consider Eli's fate. His toss up passes will surely suffer with age. While he's no dummy, nobody will ever confuse his mental abilities with his big brother.

I hear ya on Favre's gun slinging M.O. and agree my comparison wasn't exact. The general point I was going for was a hope that TB will not try to hang on when it's plain from watching he is now just another QB. Being THE Tom Brady, one of the best to play the game, it would be tough to watch Tom Brady, an ok QB. And while I agree he could see some drop off in skill and still be a 'better than many' QB, the tipping point won't be far off from there. Again, I'd rather not see that for TB. I credit P Manning in that regard. I thought this was the fate that awaited him in Denver. Going from one of the best to a 'hanger on'. Looks like he still has top level QB play left in him.

Just as an fyi regarding the story on Montana, he was seeing a drop off in skill (probably 35 around this time). It wasn't a huge drop off by any means but it was a drop off. To make matters worse for him, the Niners had another QB, Steve Young, that had eclipsed him as the QB that would give the 49ers the best chance to win. Montana wasn't happy about it (many Niner fans weren't either), wanted to keep playing as a starter and went to KC. He definitely played pretty good at KC. But this was Joe Montana! -- very arguably the best to ever play the game up to that date (somewhere around 1991). Seeing him play pretty good yet missing too many throws that he was once a master at....it just didn't seem right/fitting for a guy who was legend. He may have had his reasons to keep playing (money, love of the game, whatever)...but from a fan's perspective it wasn't the best way to see him end his career (IMHO).
For Farve? I kinda of always thought the guy was a loud mouth, over hyped jerk (unlike Montana or Brady or Manning) and his hanging on was just more proof. But even for a guy like him, he went from revered to a hanging on tool (though considering what I thought of the guy, seeing the Jets give him the back of their hand equaled karma fulfilled :D )

As we know all good things must come to an end. I'm genuinely intrigued to see who Kraft hires as BB's replacement when that time comes.

There is definitely a large number of disciples to choose from who understand the way the Krafts run their operation. In this mix of Belichick and Brady is Robert Kraft. All three guys are linked forever, and I suspect that Jonathan Kraft is going to be the key guy in selecting Belichick's replacement.

You can bet that the line will be around the block of applicants. It will be a big set of shoes to fill but football coaches have big egos.

The Krafts learned a huge amount by having Parcells, Carroll and Belichick as the only three coaches in their tenure as owners. The Bombastic, me-first Parcells is not their style, Carroll wasn't a strong enough personality at the time to run the franchise (he has matured into a very good head coach).

A guy like Bill O'Brien at Penn State seems like the right fit - a sober man, been an assistant at all levels in the NFL, experienced as the head man in very trying conditions, successful in cutting through noise to work his players. Josh McDaniels is another, but his decision making as the top guy in Denver did not work out. Romeo and Weis are too old, as are many others.

Wouldn't that frost the cake of BOB's critics if HE ended up at the helm... And you could envision a scenario where he was encouraged to take the Penn State job (as reported) because they knew they could bring Josh back from his second failed assignment and it was time to test another for potential HC prowess... He's done quite a job at Penn in just a season not even considering the tremendous challenge dealing with the scandal added to his plate. Have to see where it goes from here. Probably looking at another 5 years anyway before Bill starts thinking retirement and the Krafts start seriously thinking replacement. But in that time BOB will either have hung in and done a tough job well or been tapped by some desperate NFL wannabe and gained some experience at the next level. So he will have a resume to toss into the ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back