Welcome to PatsFans.com

Once You Turn the Rock Over

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +560 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

All Kinds of Creepy Things Crawl Out!

[​IMG]

Eleven years ago, when the NAACP stepped up a campaign to remove the Confederate battle flag from statehouses and other government buildings across the South, it found an opponent in Rick Perry.

Texas had a pair of bronze plaques with symbols of the Confederacy displayed in its state Supreme Court building. Perry, then lieutenant governor, said they should stay put, arguing that Texans "should never forget our history."

In January 2000 the NAACP asked Texas to remove the Confederate battle flag from plaques in the entryway of a building housing the state Supreme Court and Court of Appeals, saying it undermined the notion of judicial equality. One of the 11-inch by 20-inch bronze plaques featured the seal of the Confederacy and the other the image of the battle flag and quotations from Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee.

Perry wrote to the Sons of Confederate Veterans in March 2000 that, "although this is an emotional issue, I want you to know that I oppose efforts to remove Confederate monuments, plaques and memorials from public property."

"I also believe that communities should decide whether statues or other memorials are appropriate for their community," Perry wrote in the letter, one of several obtained by The Associated Press under a public information request. "I believe that Texans should remember the past and learn from it."

A related issue may rise this fall when Texas decides whether to allow specialty license plates featuring the Confederate flag. The plates have been requested by the Sons of Confederate Veterans, a nonprofit organization Perry has supported over the years. A state board he appointed will decide.

The state Department of Motor Vehicles board tied 4-4 in an April vote because one of its members, Ramsay Gillman of Houston, was absent. Gillman then died and Perry chose a new appointee, Raymond Palacios Jr. of El Paso.

Read more:
    Perry once defended Confederate symbols - seattlepi.com
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

The redneck flag represents slavery, ignorance and a deliberate lack of sympathy to the historic plight of black Americans. Not surprised this is a consideration in Texas. I see morons in pickups driving around with the redneck flag pinned up in the back glass or on a bumper sticker with MASS PLATES and I just want to rear end them and beat the crap out of them when they come after me. I wouldn't really, but I'd love the opportunity.
  3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The irony! :rofl: :rofl:
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +358 / 11 / -27

Time to get the Boyz together for a confab at Rick Perry's Hunting Camp "N..erhead Hunting Ranch", and try to figure out how the wheels came off after such an unsuccessful prayer rally. They wills start by holding hands and prayin and then are gonna sit down for a few hours bytch about how bad the main stream media is, then bytch about how they are so misunderstood, then belly up to the bar, down a couple of bottles of whiskey and then go out and shoot some shyt up...

Day Two will follow with the same agenda, except they will start the booze earlier..
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +649 / 2 / -9

2012 coming up fast, out comes the old "race card"

"white mother f-ckers"
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Don't confuse "redneck" with "hick"...:rocker:
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +502 / 6 / -2

To some people the confederate flag is a symbol of independence, or pride in the south, etc. While I see it differently, just as most others do, people should be free to fly whatever flag they want to. I absolutely wouldn't, but to each their own. People simply need to understand that by flying such flags, or symbols, people will percieve you to be a certain way. Just my 2 cents.

BTW, I don't think Perry is going to win the GOP nomination. He certainly won't win a national election, assuming I'm wrong.
  8. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +554 / 7 / -9

Ah. So were there an American population descended from another country that made war on the U.S., they too should be able to fly the flag of an enemy of the United States of America on special-issued state license plates? Maybe a Nazi-flag license plate, or (to avoid Godwin's law), a British flag special-issue, for descendents of Brit loyalists in Philadelphia? Perhaps a Union-Jack-with-Red/White-stripes to celebrate their cultural heritage in a lost America that would be collection of subject crown colonies?

Really?
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +649 / 2 / -9

Civil War.............