Welcome to PatsFans.com

Once Upon a Time...the World Loved America

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Oct 12, 2008.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +190 / 3 / -10

If you can put aside your political partisanship and allow yourself to see how important it is for the world to look up to America, then please watch this short video.

It shows an extremely intelligent and compassionate speech by a US president. Whether you are democrat of republican, liberal or conservative, this should fill you with pride. If it doesn't, then you are incapable of putting aside your political prejudice.

It is in my personal opinion, one of the greatest speeches ever made by an American president.

"Freedom has many difficulties and democracy is not perfect, but we have never had to put a wall up to keep our people in, to prevent them from leaving us."

YouTube - Kennedy - I am a Berliner - Ich Bin Ein Berliner
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  2. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +334 / 6 / -8

I won't spin this by adding my observations on the whys and wherefores, and "what the world wants from us" etc.

Good post... I'll add mine elsewhere. Thanks.

PFnV
  3. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I think I read somewhere that his pronunciation of Ich Bin Ein Berliner made it appear he actually said I am a doughnut. Not to detract from what is obviously one of his many great speeches. But, I can't help but think of that every time I hear it.

The world is very different now. For man holds in his mortal hands the power to abolish all forms of human poverty and all forms of human life. And yet the same revolutionary beliefs for which our forebears fought are still at issue around the globe—the belief that the rights of man come not from the generosity of the state, but from the hand of God.
    We dare not forget today that we are the heirs of that first revolution. Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a new generation of Americans—born in this century, tempered by war, disciplined by a hard and bitter peace, proud of our ancient heritage—and unwilling to witness or permit the slow undoing of those human rights to which this Nation has always been committed, and to which we are committed today at home and around the world.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
    This much we pledge—and more.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  4. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +334 / 6 / -8

I don't know if the pronunciation came into it, but "Berliner" was/is a donut variety, sort of like how we call a ground beef patty on a bun a "Hamburger." I guess if we called it a "New Yorker" and a visiting dignitary came over and said "I am a New Yorker" it would be sort of funny, but we'd get that he was being literal not colloquial. Guess it's just a good thing he wasn't in Frankfurt or Hamburg. Or touring a Focker factory.
  5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +579 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

I think once upon a time some in the world loved that $$$ could be made in America. I do not think the world loved America overall. I know many hundreds and hundreds of immigrants to this country ... mostly from Latin America. i have heard over the last 30 years or so how they sought better ooportunity in America ... but never once did i hear any of them say they loved America more than their homeland.
  6. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +334 / 6 / -8

That's weird. I heard it from both my parents (that they loved aspects of America other than economic opportunity.) I have heard it from other immigrants too many to mention, yes, some of them Latin American. During the 1960s American allies were putting our astronauts and presidents on their national postage stamps.

Things have changed around the world, in terms of attitudes toward Americans; and American attitudes toward the world have changed.

But in terms of those who come here to work and live, not everybody's has.

PFnV
  7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +190 / 3 / -10

Awesome choice of a JFK quote Michael. Thanks for posting!

Reading that gave me chills. What an incredible message in 3 short paragraphs. I think we hunger for that kind of leadership...I just don't know we'll ever get it again.

When we talk about being presidential, John Kennedy is the living example. He STUDIED American history and he knew everything there was to know about our laws and the Constitution.
  8. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +190 / 3 / -10

Of course they loved their homeland more than their country. But people around the world loved America for much more than the opportunity to make $$, that is undeniable.

When JFK was killed, people around the world cried openly and mourned his passing. He represented strength and dignity and he was young & handsome. He showed respect even for his enemies.

That is the "once upon a time" I'm talking about.
  9. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +579 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

I was an obnoxious toddler at that time ... I remember the JFK on the black and white TV and I was angry because there was no cartoons ... how un-patriotic was that?
  10. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

this is not meant to hijack but some VP candidates disgust me due to lack of knowledge of things they should know.
  11. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +190 / 3 / -10

Although I was also a toddler when JFK was killed, I remember JFK's coffin being pulled by the horses down Pennsylvania Avenue. And although I was a toddler, my passion for American history has taught me the impact this man had upon this nation and the world.

I wasn't around when Lincoln was president, but I am aware of his signifance to this nations history. I guess not everyone has that passion to understand our history.
  12. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

here is my favorite speech. I highly recommend listening to this speech.

To those of us posters who care but feel powerless do not give up. We all love this country though frustrating at times and we shall not allow it to be corrupted.

American Rhetoric: Robert F. Kennedy - University of Cape Town Day of Affirmation Address

13. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Remembering back to what was the America of JFK's time, I think he represented hope for a lot of people. The early 60's were pretty violent and tumultuous times...Cuba, Kruschev,Vietnam,domestic civil strife and racism all prevailed at the time of his election.

Seeing JFK's you tube list of great speeches sort of took me to some of RFK's too:

YouTube - Robert F. Kennedy speech ~ Mindless Menace of Violence
  14. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

yes, i have heard that one too. good speech
  15. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +579 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

If modern day politicians were forced to head JFK's words many of our problems could have been averted.
  16. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

What strikes me is that all these same speeches still apply 40+ years later,which in some ways is kind of unnerving.
  17. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 12 / -2

Who doesn't like us and why does it matter?

France not liking America is as important as Brad Childress not liking
    Bill Belichick.

I am sure Belichick sleeps just fine !

Obama's big plan is to double foreign aid.

Do you really think doubling foreign aid is going to make them like us?
  18. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

i've always thought you could cut and paste these to current time. it seems like times are always chaotic and make people nervous
  19. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

The Kennedy's were/are (Ted) great orators, a quality which won people over not just in this country but around the world. Reagan and Clinton,also well-received- were engaging speakers as well. In terms of this election I think that's a quality where McCain comes up short and Obama really excels.
  20. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

"Interesting times" :)