Once the playoffs are sorted out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Once we know who fits where in the playoff picture (if we know this early enough for it to be an issue,) what's your take on resting starters?

I say no.

1) Keep them game-ready. Maybe give them half a game off in the last game.
2) Build on any momentum.
3) What would we do to "rest up" our always banged-up secondary? We got nothin. And guess what... anybody we don't have much of a second/third string for, gets to play a gruelling game, if our offense can't keep the ball long enough to get them off the field now and again.

Things are close enough this year that the dilemma probably won't affect us for more than a game... but what's everybody's thoughts on the "rest the starters" routine?

PFnV

As you state, really too soon to contemplate seriously.
But two preliminary thoughts are:

If nothing is on the line in the final game, at Tennessee would be a suitable opportunity.
Reprise last year's "Fin-ale", especially giving Cassel live snaps.

But that approach was strongly indicated because
we knew we had no official bye ... and had to handcraft our own version.
If we have earned a bye by Week 17 (and Good Luck to us on THAT!)
then i'll bet BB plays the Titans straight up.

Once we know who fits where in the playoff picture (if we know this early enough for it to be an issue,) what's your take on resting starters?

I say no.

1) Keep them game-ready. Maybe give them half a game off in the last game.
2) Build on any momentum.
3) What would we do to "rest up" our always banged-up secondary? We got nothin. And guess what... anybody we don't have much of a second/third string for, gets to play a gruelling game, if our offense can't keep the ball long enough to get them off the field now and again.

Things are close enough this year that the dilemma probably won't affect us for more than a game... but what's everybody's thoughts on the "rest the starters" routine?

PFnV

From previous years, we know Belichick doesn't believe in resting the regulars hardly at all.

The End

IF AND WHEN our seed is set, then sure, go ahead and rest your INJURED players ONLY. Other than that and maybe resting Brady vs Tennessee, play em straight up.

From previous years, we know Belichick doesn't believe in resting the regulars hardly at all.

The End

Except last year without a bye he did just that. With a bye there is no real reason to because two full weeks off is a recipe for rust - just ask the Colts.

I think AFC seedings will go to the last week. If we have no shot at one of the top two he will rest the starters as he did last year.

What, no advocates of the "Miracle Collapse of the Colts, Bolts, and Ravens" theory?

Since we won the SB 3 times without resting players, and did not win it when we did, I'd predict BB will not rest players in wk 17.

It seemed like in 05 we put less emphasis on the pre-season games than normal, played the better players a lot less than BB nornmally does.
We didnt win the SB. This year, preseason saw better players getting more and more pt in the preseason.

Anyone know if Vinny can dropkick? Just planning ahead to the last game.

LOL Pat the Pats Fan!

The End

Last year Cassel played alot against miami, but that was probably motivated by wanting to face jacksonville. typically they play the starters the majority of the last game and rest them maybe a quarter.

Except last year without a bye he did just that. With a bye there is no real reason to because two full weeks off is a recipe for rust - just ask the Colts.

I think AFC seedings will go to the last week. If we have no shot at one of the top two he will rest the starters as he did last year.

To be fair, he rested them but still started them, kind of like preseason.

I think we need to be playing more consistently on offense before we think of resting anybody. Maybe for the last quarter.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down