PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Once clear advantage the Pats have over Indy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schedules don't mean crap.

Supposedly the Pats and Colts are the two best teams in the NFL, so therefore they should beat every other team they face. End of story. If the Pats lose to the Cowboys, Redskins, and/or Steelers, or if the Colts lose to whoever their "tough" games are, then we'll know which of the two is the best.

The way I see it is that either the Pats or Colts could go 16-0, but happily they play each other, so both can't.

The only game on the schedule of the Pats and Colts that should be in doubt is Nov 4, or whenever it is, when they play each other.

Pats are a slightly better team, especially defense. Colts have home field advantage, and they have won all their home games for a long time.

Looks like a wash, a game that will be decided on perhaps a bounce of the ball or a mental error or a poor execution by even one player on a key play. Don't look for Brady or Manning to have a Romo day and still win.

The only thing certain is that the week leading up to the game, this site will be inundated with one-hand-typing pubescent Colts trolls who think, "Patsies suck" is the pinnacle of clever repartee.

You don't have a clue what you are talking about.
I think folks thought SD and Denver would be 1-2 in their Division. I don't think many anticipated a Wildcard coming from the East. Indy and Jax were considered from the South, and I think the Ravens, Bengals, and Steelers were considered for the North. So that's eight teams vying for 6 spots. I DO think Denver was in the mix before the season began.

Understood.

I feel the same way you do; I thought based on last year (which I am learning more and more means squat), the Jets game would be difficult, the Chargers would be all amped up coming here and the Bengals would put on an offensive show.

None of those things happened; does that mean all of those teams are bad, or that the Patriots are simply better? You may feel we'll go 6-0 in the division, but road games in the division are never, ever a gimme, so I worry about the Dolphins game especially as Brady has all kinds of problems down there. Every team has a clunker one a year vs a stiff team (us vs the Dolphins last year and in 2004 are two prime examples), and we have yet to have that clunker this year.

I am not too confident about playing the AFCCG in your house; the last two times we played there, we got out to a big lead, then held on for dear life once a few years ago in the regular season and lost last year in the AFCCG......................
Probably not fair to just chalk up an automatic 6. Division games are tougher, and I will assume that there will be a challenge presented in the 4 you have remaining. Just contend that the probability of an upset there is lower for NE. I just think the gap b/w NE and the 3 other teams is wider than the Colts versus their 3 Divisional opponents.

Just contend that the probability of an upset there is lower for NE.

Agreed except for the fact every now and then Brady turns into Rex Grossman against the phins. :D Hopefully we can avoid that this year.

Good point HBM regarding the AFC Least, are the Jags/Titans/Texans really that good as I rarely get to see any of them play. I view them as more of an annoyance to the Colts vs legit competition..............

Good point HBM regarding the AFC Least, are the Jags/Titans/Texans really that good as I rarely get to see any of them play. I view them as more of an annoyance to the Colts vs legit competition..............

Well, if I answer, I may be viewed as an AFC South homer :D

These guys all want to kick our ass, not that your counterparts in the East don't. We have that proverbial Bullseye, but not sure it is any bigger this year than in years past. I do think those teams look at us like we can be had, whereas, I really think when your East teams come calling, they are demoralized before they even take the field, knowing they have a huge uphill battle that they just can't climb.

Jax is legit (I think). Still have a tough defense, and a nice 1-2 punch in the run game. Gerrard is an upgrade over Lefty, and they hate us with a passion. Similar to your Miami rival, but these guys are obviously a lot better than Miami.
Tennessee is very similar to Jax. Nice 1-2 punch on the ground, a mobile QB, and a very stout D. Haynesworth is a beast, as is the veteran LBer (starts w/ a "B"??). They are a very physical ball club as well.
Houston would be better served with a healthy offense, but they eeked out a win versus ATL, so they are 3-2. I am beginning to wonder about the ATL, not as bad a team as folks might think, our the AFC South has overlooked them.

I think our first real test will come on the 22nd in Jax for the Monday Nighter. Sometimes Colts play a little flat coming off a bye week. Can't afford to lose it though.

When the Texans get Andre Johnson back I expect that offense to pick up again considerably, the Defense is young big and hits hard. Playing the Colts twice a year is great experience for a young team and they are showing it by playing the Colts close the past few years

The Titans are young and up and coming. No matter what anybody says about Vince Young and he wins, and he wins with NO recievers. People talk about his passing abilities but who can name 3 of the titans receivers last year? Who can name any? Their running game is strong and hard nosed and the Defense with Haynesworth is getting better every week it seems. Good LB's too

The Jags as always have had a strong defense and Garrad appears to be a improvement over Lefty. if MJD can get it going (big if) and The defense plays hard they can be a contender, that being said this is said about them every year we have to see if they can continue it through the entire season

Last edited:
Like I said in another thread, Patriots have the division advantage, but the Colts have the alignment advantage. The NFC South sucks. I see no way that either the Panthers or the Falcons beat them. The AFC West is not as strong as it has been in the past few years. Maybe San Diego somehow magically whips themselves back into shape by November, but probably not. There's 8 wins vs. the expected six for the Patriots from their divisional games.

The race for the top seed is going to be extremely close. Even if the Patriots beat the Colts they could still end up a game under them in the overall standings, because the NFC East isn't a doormat like the rest of that conference is.

Last edited:
I'd say the division games are tough on any team, irregardless of records. These teams know each other, and you always see some surprises (i.e. Miami beating NE almost every year, and the Texans beating Indy last year). I still have doubts about the Jags, as they can't seem to finish a season strong. The Titans are definitely a threat, though. I see them getting the #5 seed hands down. You guys do have the advantage with the NFC South, and the AFC west is weaker than the AFC North. So I wouldn't put too much stock in the schedules. Both these teams should be able to beat any of those teams. The November 4th game will definitely be a "must win" for both, if only for psycological reasons. Even so, it doesn't neccessarily guarantee home field in the playoffs. This I think is more important for the Colts, as they historically have had problems in bad weather. The Indy defense has surprised me, as I thought they would be a lot worse with all the defections. I think again it will be the "real" Super Bowl should these two meet in the playoffs. I don't see any NFC team who could best either one in Glendale.

I'd say the division games are tough on any team, irregardless of records. These teams know each other, and you always see some surprises (i.e. Miami beating NE almost every year, and the Texans beating Indy last year).

Well I think everyone is speaking in a hypothetical manner at this point. The Patriots may not go 6 - 0 in the division for the simple fact that the playoff seeding might be pretty clear by mid december. If the Colts beat the Patriots and the Patriots beat the steelers (who already lost to a team they should have beaten) teams could find themselves in a situation where two more wins in December will only help them to match whoever is ahead of them record-wise, but still fall short based on having lost the head to head matchup.

How long do the starters play against Miami on Dec. 23 if the team is more or less locked into the second seed? Does Brady take a single snap in the second half against the Giants? Once you know you've at least got the bye through the wildcard round, player health is your top priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back