PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Once again the Patriots take care of their practice squad players, especially DJ Foster

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Once again the Patriots take care of their practice squad players, especially DJ Foster

Miguel Benzan

The Patriots have a long history of paying some of their practice squad players more than the minimum salary. Today I learned that the Patriots continued this fine tradition by increasing the weekly pay of two practice squad players (Chris Barker and DeAn

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Miguel Benzan

The Patriots have a long history of paying some of their practice squad players more than the minimum salary. Today I learned that the Patriots continued this fine tradition by increasing the weekly pay of two practice squad players (Chris Barker and DeAn

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Thanks for the interesting article, Miguel.

I'm wondering if at some time the NFL will go crazy and decide that by paying our practice players more than the standard rate that we're, uhm, anti-competitive?

Just sayin'...

Yesssssssssss this is great. So he's getting his full pay as if he were on the roster even though he's on the PS... so no financial incentive for him to leave... seems like the Pats like him almost as much as I do! ;)

Yesssssssssss this is great. So he's getting his full pay as if he were on the roster even though he's on the PS... so no financial incentive for him to leave... seems like the Pats like him almost as much as I do! ;)
John Harbough will complain that it's unfair he can't snipe players off the Pats practice squad.

John Harbough will complain that it's unfair he can't snipe players off the Pats practice squad.
This offseason the Ravens will submit a rule change that disallows any team from paying more than the minimum salary to PS players and also awards 1 point per game to teams signing Patriots PS players to their rosters.

Phenomenal. They must really, really like him. I do too and think he has tons to offer down the road.

I remember the video a local station did here on draft day. His family was so excited that he chose the Pats. Glad that faith has been rewarded.

Just thinking about the "small backs" on the roster, next year will be the final years of the contracts for both Dion Lewis and James White. I assume one of them will get paid and leave - my guess would be White - there's a market for a reliable third-down back as we saw when Vereen got paid by NYG. With Dion's injury history, I would guess he may stay - either way one (or both) will probably be gone after next season, creating the sizable opening for Foster if he develops next season.

Well, DJ Foster has been promoted to the squad again in light of Gronk's IRing. So the Pats really did the right thing here making sure his pay wasn't disrupted for the 4 days he was on the practice squad. That's a good question for Miguel -- would it even have mattered since he was on the 53 man roster for last Sunday and will be on the 53 man roster for this Sunday?

Phenomenal. They must really, really like him. I do too and think he has tons to offer down the road.

I remember the video a local station did here on draft day. His family was so excited that he chose the Pats. Glad that faith has been rewarded.

I'd argue that they wouldn't expose him to waivers if they "really, really" liked him. Obviously they like him but lets not go overboard here..

Well, DJ Foster has been promoted to the squad again in light of Gronk's IRing. So the Pats really did the right thing here making sure his pay wasn't disrupted for the 4 days he was on the practice squad. That's a good question for Miguel -- would it even have mattered since he was on the 53 man roster for last Sunday and will be on the 53 man roster for this Sunday?

IIRC, it won't, but it would have if the Pats waited until next week.

Gotta say we have have a great track record of identifying and developing 3rd down backs.

I have a question, @Miguel. I thought players who make the 53 man roster for the first game have their salaries guarateed. So even if DJ never played another play this season, his salary would have been the same.

I'm assuming I'm wrong here, but that was my understanding before this thread started, that Foster would be getting the same salary he had while on the PS that he had while on the roster. (which I assume was the rookie minimum) So fill me in.

BTW- on the larger point you make that the Pats seem to take care of their PS players better than most teams is a good one.

I have a question, @Miguel. I thought players who make the 53 man roster for the first game have their salaries guarateed. So even if DJ never played another play this season, his salary would have been the same.

I'm assuming I'm wrong here, but that was my understanding before this thread started, that Foster would be getting the same salary he had while on the PS that he had while on the roster. (which I assume was the rookie minimum) So fill me in.

That only applies to veteran players eligible for FA.

I'd argue that they wouldn't expose him to waivers if they "really, really" liked him. Obviously they like him but lets not go overboard here..

Lets settle for “really like“ him then.

I guess they showed pretty great interest in his future here by keeping him on 53 despite having him mostly inactive while releasing guys like Harbor, Cooper, A Johnson.

They obviously didn't see him as NFL ready RB yet and they figured other teams don't as well - they probably believed other teams can't afford to keep him on 53 for the future so late in the season with so many desperate plug'n'play needs on their depleted rosters. Moreover this timing coincided with IR guys coming back to the rosters.

In any case great to see him back! I believe they believe they can bulk him up and get him ready for next season.

Just saw Foster was signed back to the active roster with Gronk on IR, so that's that. Awesome.

It does make me wonder - with no Gronk, they may want to run the "pony package" with Lewis and White flanking Brady more often - so Foster may end up being valuable insurance for that package if it does indeed become a staple of the offense and one of those guys gets hurt.

With the benefit of 20-20 hindsight we can say that this gesture did not matter. Doubtful that the Pats knew at the time of the Foster signing that they would be placing Gronk on IR and therefore freeing up a roster spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes