Welcome to PatsFans.com

Once Again - The Party of "No"

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +681 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) - The Democrats' efforts to change how the nation's banks are regulated received a major setback Monday after Republicans voted unanimously to block the bill from coming up for debate by the full Senate.

Republicans block bank-reform bill - MarketWatch

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +717 / 20 / -30

Read somewhere that there are something like 65% of the American People who favor this reform...

Before the anticipated rhetoric about "mush Mouth Matthews" and all the rest of the silliness and efforts to minimize this, the captioned is from the Gallup Poll..

Guess some do not learn from history, they are doomed to repeat it..

Poll: 65% back financial regulations - First Read - msnbc.com

3. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Yeah but Democrats are the party of No when Republicans are in power. It's the same game.

EDIT: That doesn't make it right in either case, by the way. Things should be weighed on their merit and not the affiliation of the bill's sponsor.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +681 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

I'd have to go back and find out how many times in a row the Dems voted en-masse to block something simply for the sake of blocking it. It seems to me that there were more times when a few of them would cross party lines and vote with the Republicans than not but I could be wrong.

Question is, do I feel interested enough to research it today? And would it make any difference if I did? There seems to be little regard for actuality around here - people have much more fun making blanket statements which have no basis in reality and regardless of how much proof is offered to the contrary they remain unconvinced.

(I'm not referring to you, STF - just people in general. You're pretty good about holding a rational discussion and it's appreciated.)

Anyhow, this seems to be the most partisan house and senate I can remember ever existing. I could be wrong. Even when they agree (and from all accounts and stories, the Rep. are pretty much ok with the whole financial regulations thing - they're just flexing with intent to cave - which makes no sense, but hey, if they've got a reputation to live up to then they do) they pretend they don't.

5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +514 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Darryl, I think just about everyone favors REFORM, but that doesn't mean we favor THIS particular bill and what's contained in it.

After all, not any bill put forth should be approved if it's not going to change much.

What do you like and dislike about this particular bill?

What we don't want is another health care..."Let's just get something passed" episode. Wouldn't you agree?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  6. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I would bet about 97% of the American people don't even have the first clue what this reform does. They just get asked generic questions like "Do you support financial reform?" so naturally a majority of the people say yes.

It's like health care; just because someone supports a bit of reform does not necessarily indicate they support ObamaCare. Just because someone supports financial reform does not mean they support this bill.

7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +839 / 7 / -3

And the dumb down of both the forum, and the American public continues. So financial reform is one size fits all now? If the "reform" meant that all assets inside US banks (that would mean your money) were confiscated, and given to lobbyists, would being the party of "no" still be shunned as it is in this thread? Would that poll still be at 65%? The devil is always in the details.

Polls....lol.

8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +995 / 2 / -9

9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +717 / 20 / -30

And I know you are a 3%'er, so why don't you take the time to enlighten us.

Something like 60% of the public did not like the health reform bill, but in that case the polls had veracity and do not remember anyone saying that 97% of those folks did not know what they that bill did either..

So have it one way or the other.. maybe in the delusional world of the right it can work both ways..

10. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +213 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Ah the poll evidence. Don't get me wrong here but referencing polls is almost useless in these debates. I read that 56% of Americans favor the AZ law. Game over??? Not at all. What I think the polls show that people want some reform. I seriously don't think a majority knows what the reforms finer points are. The republicans are going to lose on this though because even if they have some legitmate issues to debate, refusing to debate them is is a loser position.

11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +717 / 20 / -30

My point is that polls are only valid when they support a particular argument, in this case they are negated as it does not favor one party.. while in the health care debate they were proof positive that no one wanted that bill..

People cannot have it both way.. but they sure try.

12. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Actually, no. I haven't been following this financial reform bill and I openly admit I really don't know much about it. I am sure sooner or later I'll have more free time and attempt to educate myself, but for now it just isn't anywhere near my priority list. I don't think I've made a single comment on it because I generally don't comment on things when I don't know the situation. All I am saying is that just because someone supports finance reform or health care reform does not mean they automatically support any bill that comes down the pike. So you shouldn't be thumping your chest quite so aggressive just because of this poll.
    This is the sort of comment that makes it impossible for people in this forum to take you seriously. Maybe someday you will understand why.

13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +717 / 20 / -30

You obviously need some self reflection, many take me seriously.. if you do not notice you have some very big issues and show your obvious defiicits when you choose to begin to bang on the keyboard..

I find this somewhat puzzling.. , I don't think I've made a single comment on it because I generally don't comment on things when I don't know the situation. but you claim in your #1 Pavlovian response,I would bet about 97% of the American people don't even have the first clue what this reform does:confused::confused::confused: can you not comment on this thread, while you really do comment on it and then say you do not understand it even though you believe in your parallel universe that 97% do not understand it... mondo bizarro..

You ponitificate pious platitudes, right wing talking points, call people ignorant and about 1/2 the time you do not know have a clue as to what you are talking about.. but you believe you do , so that is important to you.

As I said before the world does not work the way you want it to, it works the way it does..

14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Why am I not surprised?
    I am not surprised that the subtleties of my statements are lost on you, so I guess I shall have to dumb down my level of conversation in order to facilitate your understanding.

I am not ashamed to admit that I just haven't been following this particular bill or effort at reform. I have been busy the past week and haven't seen much news or commentary. I honestly just don't know much about what it is or what it does.

As such, I have not offered any opinion in support of or opposition to this bill. The only thing I have said is I once again had to point out a mistake you made (an all too frequent occurance). You wrote "there are something like 65% of the American People who favor this reform" and then you provided a poll which shows nothing of the sort.

Apparently you are incapable of understanding the concept that just because someone supports financial reform, it does not necessarily follow that they support this specific bill. I encourage you to try and grasp the difference and understand the flaws in your reasoning.

15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +717 / 20 / -30

There you go assuming, do not know if I support the bill or not, all that was done is post a poll and you wasted all this time and idle rhetoric.... fun being you, eh??

16. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +357 / 7 / -4

I agree with this, but yet again, it cuts both ways -- going back to healthcare, how often did pols and pundits on the right make the claim that it was against the will of the people (that was then they weren't calling it dictatorship, totalitarianism, and other such terms) based on poll results?

17. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +357 / 6 / -4

#91 Jersey

Bingo.................

18. Roland

Roland On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The country would be much better off with a liberal czar who has immense control over the bigots in congress and the senate.:rolleyes:

19. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If you can't get Olympia Snowe on board, your bill sucks.

20. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You posted a poll and wrote "there are something like 65% of the American People who favor this reform."

Don't get mad at me for pointing out your conclusion was erroneous. But instead of being a mature adult and just admitting you were wrong, you foolishly try to defend your mistake. Perhaps someday you'll understand that you look much more foolish defending an erroneous statement than you would if you just admitted you made an honest mistake.